U.S. embassy in Thailand rejects citizens' appeal for vaccines

snoop1130

10 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

they shouldnt do it because its not their business

individuals outside their country must surely organize their own healthcare... or return home

France are the only nation doing this ......at home -based French taxpayer expense no doubt.......

perhaps they are offloading those millions of perfectly good unused AZ vaccines , before expiration, a stockpile that Macron created, stupidly & jealously saying AZ was no good........

Not AZ reported to be J&J

I don't think it is in an embassy's purview to organise medical supplies for distribution but I don't think it go amiss if they tried to negotiate a way out for those who have experienced the 'Thais first' rejection. I am not suggestion 'Foreigners First' either, just allowed to register and receive an appointment for vaccination.

1 minute ago, ThaiFelix said:

Good post.  It kinda reminds me of all the young Aussies who go (used to) to Bali, party 24 hours, drunk, race around on motor cycles with no experience, license or helmet, and then complain that the hospitals are not up to scratch and want the Australian Government to bring them home.

But I can also see some expats thinking that we still have to pay taxes back home, and often more as expats, but what do they get for it considering they are abroad?  Should their government step up to the plate in a crisis and protect its citizens and just put it down to the cost of doing business?

Yes, they should. I consider myself to be a great ambassador for my country. Don't smoke, don't drink, don't cuss, don't yell. People look at me and say "Wow, what a great country this guy must come from". And I do all this for free!

• Like 2

By the way, if you want to comment directly to the US Ambassador to Thailand, who for some reason calls himself the Charge D'Affaires (what's that about?), you can find him on LinkedIn, Michael Heath.

Give it a shot, I did, and got a reply about "logistics". Hello! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I neither want, nor expect, nor consider myself entitled to a vaccine from my (U.S.) embassy. 

I am surprised you would not want one should it be offered. Have you already been done or made arrangements to get jabbed or simply plan not to?

It would be a better situation for US guys if their embassy did arrange things.... better chance of a preferred brand of vaccine, and not dependent on what appears to be a Thai shambles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, rwill said:

I received my first shot at Phayathai 2 hospital last Tuesday.  They are vaccinating about 1,000 people a day.  They were almost all foreigners.  The few Thai's that were there I suspect had dual citizenship.  

(if you do go to Phayathai 2 for a vaccine and are driving a large truck/SUV think about parking somewhere else and taking a taxi there.  The parking lot at the hospital has a very low ceiling and the up/down ramps are very narrow too.)

Hey, I went too, same day. Got an email 2 days before confirming appointment having been extremely lucky and got a booking via thailandintervac before it went completely pear shaped. Yes, all very well run. Had small problem with high blood pressure due to foolishly drinking coffee en route, and not drinking enough water. Anyway, all clear eventually. I got my wonderful Sinovac, and I'm happy to say feel great. I'll be fully vaxxed in under 4 weeks. Thank you to the people responsible. If anyone wants to argue the merits and demerits of said Vax, go fish.

BTW, I travelled up from Pattaya for a 3pm appointment. I caught the 11am blue bus from Northern Bus Terminal on Nua, and the BTS from Ekkamai to Sanam Pao. 5 minute walk, 40 minutes early! Got the 1730 bus back from Ekkamai. Round trip in 9 hours, approximately 300 THB.

• Haha 1

It is great when an embassy decides to do something for their citizens living in a foreign country, like China and France have done in Thailand.

However a lot of people seem to have a misconception about what an embassy is for.  It's primary job is to deal with the foreign government and it's citizens that want to go to their country.  Even if there were no expats of that country living in that foreign country the embassy would still be there.  Dealing with their own citizens is a secondary matter to them.

• Like 2

I don't really care about the vaccine that much, but what I do care about is whether or not the embassy will resume issuing tourist visas to the spouses of US expats. The policy quite obviously changed under Trump. My wife (who had already visited the US twice) was then twice denied tourist visas during Trump's term. Has anyone tried to get one since Biden took office? 

It still makes my blood boil....

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I really want some info on this since the embassy never states what the actual policy is and just claims they make the decision on a case-by-case basis. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

having been extremely lucky and got a booking via thailandintervac before it went completely pear shaped.

Ah yes, a Public Health policy which relies on "luck". And, "I got mine".

Why didn't the U.S. Embassy advise me on increasing my good luck factor?

I think intervac is still in a coma. I keep poking at it, but it still looks dead.

No way for foreigners to obtain a vaccination. Yes, I'll stipulate that some are "special" and some are in the queue.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

It is great when an embassy decides to do something for their citizens living in a foreign country, like China and France have done in Thailand.

However a lot of people seem to have a misconception about what an embassy is for.  It's primary job is to deal with the foreign government and it's citizens that want to go to their country.  Even if there were no expats of that country living in that foreign country the embassy would still be there.  Dealing with their own citizens is a secondary matter to them.

So why do they encourage their citizens to register with them? Oh I get it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Ah yes, a Public Health policy which relies on "luck". And, "I got mine".

Why didn't the U.S. Embassy advise me on increasing my good luck factor?

I think intervac is still in a coma. I keep poking at it, but it still looks dead.

No way for foreigners to obtain a vaccination. Yes, I'll stipulate that some are "special" and some are in the queue.

You did not get your free 4 leaf clover or your box of lucky charms then....

"The embassy in a message to its citizens in Thailand said the state department could not provide vaccines to the millions of Americans abroad, but would advocate for equitable access locally. "

Who do they think they're fooling? We keep tripping over cases of unequitable access.

The UN's recent actions to vaccinate their own people in Thailand (plus UN retirees) says the UN has determined Thailand's vaccination program is not working. 

"In duty stations where vaccination through the national programme may not be possible, the Department of Operational Support (DOS) is working to ensure alternative arrangements are put in place for UN personnel and their eligible dependents via the UN System-wide COVID-19 Vaccination Programme."   https://www.un.org/sites/un2.un.org/files/coronavirus_vaccinefaq.pdf

• Like 2

Just now, Misty said:

Who do they think they're fooling? We keep tripping over cases of unequitable access.

No one, obviously. That's why this sort of communicaiton is actually worse than worthless. It's insulting to be fed this poo.

Even the choice of "would" is insulting. "We would advocate..." if we felt so inclined.

Instead, if they actually did anything, they would say "we have, and will continue to work with our Thai partners to insure foreigners can register for, and ultimately receive a vaccination, or two."

Be open, be honest, and put the salad spinner away when drafting communications to citizens. If there's nothing you can do just say that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

USA is literally vaccinating illegal immigrants  before sending vaccines to embassies for their citizens. A Thai national could enter into the US illegally with a sign on his back that says "death to the USA" and walk into a free vaccination clinic. Absolute state of the US in 2021.

What has vaccinating illegal immigrants got to do with the situation in Thailand. You think illegal immigrants in the USA aren't going to be contagious? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Misty said:

'Retired U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. Samuel Wright, an 81-year-old Vietnam veteran, is one of many veterans living in Thailand. He has not yet been able to get access to the vaccine, saying he feels “abandoned” and “betrayed.” “It’s like the rug’s been pulled out from under us,” Wright said. “They’ve left us here to die.”  

Powerful stuff.

At a bare minimum, every effort should be made to vaccinate veterans living here.

Full disclosure, I am not a veteran, but would fully support such an effort, and would make a donation to cover the costs for a vaccination for Cpl. Wright.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine every country in this world would supply vaccines to all their citizens which are in other countries in this world. That would be a lot of vaccines flying around the globe. And for what? Most (all?) countries work on the vaccination of all the people in their individual countries. It just takes some time.

As far as I see there is no foreigner in Thailand who didn't voluntarily come to Thailand, maybe except from prisoners. Many foreigners are in Thailand because they enjoy that Thailand is different from home. But then some complain that x and y and z is not like home. Make up your mind! What do you want? Thailand with all the good and all the bad? Or only those parts of Thailand which you like and otherwise your home country should take care of you. Really? 

Explain to me the use of embassies ??? 

Posts containing profane language and the replies have been removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The only disturbing news I am getting from friends in Bangkok is that they are coming up against a wall of " Thais first " which I find ridiculous.

If that is the case it is because of the trickle down effect of xenophobic and nationalistic verbal assaults on TV from certain people in government.

It needs reporting to Embassies if this is the case, as this will be taken very seriously and passed on up the chain to Western leaders, who are supplying South East Asia with technology,  science and surplus vaccines.

I came up with the idea to let my school register everyone for the vaccine. They've told me it's a good idea. We were one of the first to register, and everyone got vaccinated except the foreign teachers. 

Nowadays I hear from people they registered not even a week ago and already got their appointment. And I'm still waiting... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

They also stated that the Thai government had assured them that foreigners living here would have access to vaccines.

Well they have been lied to.

No, your embassy has not been lied to. They know you are not getting a Covid shot. It's just that the embassy is in on the lie.

1 hour ago, bkkflynnsta said:

Write to your senators and representatives unless you're happy being taxed twice

You have no senators or representatives if you live abroad. Just go to any congressional website of a senator or rep and try to email them. You are blocked if you are outside their district. Abroad, we are getting taxation without representation.

11 hours ago, John Drake said:

Why do you want farangs to die?

Of course I don't want falangs to die, nor any other nationals for that matter. What a ridiculous notion.

However I do not believe that foreign embassies blundering around running piecemeal vaccination programmes can do any better than the Thais a doing at the moment.

And just to dispel the notion that there is 'Thais first, falangs to the rear' policy going on, I had my 1st AZ vaccination yesterday morning. I happen to be the 1st person in the village to be vaccinated!

They're all watching me now like I was a canary in a coal mine!

• Haha 1