Forum upgrade in progress! ×

U.S. embassy in Thailand rejects citizens' appeal for vaccines

snoop1130

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Then better hurry to get out of here.

OMF OMG, never thought you were part of the "If you don't like it then leave" brigade. Guess your just not a happy camper.

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes thats true.  Be curious how that pans out and how they do it logistically.

Hopefully we get Moderna here sooner than later.  Until then stay safe.

The French, logisticaly, aranged for Thai  hospitals to administer vaccines supplied by the French.

I don't recall reading how they transport the doses.

Diplomatic (Big!) pouch?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you don't like it here. Now think about what is easier. Changing Thailand or leaving Thailand?

Ha.  I'm just calling a spade a spade.  Is that a problem?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

OMF OMG, never thought you were part of the "If you don't like it then leave" brigade. Guess your just not a happy camper.

I am happy in Thailand. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Because if I would think life would be better somewhere else then I would go to that place. It's not really rocket science. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

Evidence for this? And where are you?

Like many others actually IN Thailand, I have a jab scheduled.

Whether I want it is not something the embassy would not get involved in.

Well im not going to speculate on the reason but in Banglamung {Pattaya} any adult thai that can book a appointment for the vaccine regardless of physical condition or age. 

I being a foreigner have no way to book a appointment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkkflynnsta said:

Once again, our US tax dollars hard at work for us expats living abroad. The US and Eritrea are the last remaining Citizen Based Taxation nations on the planet. It's disgraceful that we have to file taxes in the US as well as the countries we live in, and get near zero benefit for it.  We are third-class citizens and punished for working outside our country. Write to your senators and representatives unless you're happy being taxed twice...

"Near Zero".  I'm still looking for ANY benefit.  If you can think of one, please let me know.

41 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes thats true.  Be curious how that pans out and how they do it logistically.

Hopefully we get Moderna here sooner than later.  Until then stay safe.

New topic in Thai news forum.

Moderna supplies will be less than half the previous expected amount. Current thread. Not happy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I disagree with your view entirely, and that Reuters news story left out an important part of the Embassy email (see the end of my post).

According to the email I received from the US Embassy yesterday,The U.S. is expected to have a surplus of 500 million to 1 billion doses by the end of this year, depending on its vaccine strategy, according to estimates by Brookings Institution. 

The email goes on to explain that The Biden-Harris Administration plans to share 80 million vaccine doses worldwide by the end of June.  The first 25 million of these doses will soon be released, with 7 million doses going to countries in Asia, including Thailand.

Is it unreasonable for expats to expect that we SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR THOSE 80 MILLION DOSES???

First of all, the registration scheme for foreigners in Thailand has proved to be hugely flawed.  Whether this is intentional (i.e.: just a PR effort to keep foreigners satisfied that they are not being discriminated against) or just due to gross incompetence is a subject for  debate.  

The fact is that all registration schemes for foreigners have failed to work for the most part (MorProm, in-person registration at designated hospitals), InterVac, Intervac/Expat).

The rollout strategy for any country should be to vaccinate those individuals most likely to contract and spread the virus first, regardless of nationality, but that does not seem to be the case here in Thailand.  

Foreigners are essentially being ignored!  The CCSA has repeatedly promised to provide details about foreigner registration but to date has failed to provide any of those promised details like which hospitals have been designated for foreigners to register at.  Registration amounts to nothing more than being put on a waiting list; So why is this still not happening?

For us expats, we are no closer to knowing when or even if we can expect to become vaccinated in the public rollout scheme sometime this year!  Even the private hospital registration scheme has not gone well at all.
  This leaves expats (especially those 60 and older, and /or with health risks in a very precarious situation!  

Considering all of this, I think there is EVERY reason for American expats to expect and demand that they receive priority on those 80 million donated doses.  We are after all, tax paying citizens and should have the same rights and the same protections as any citizen regardless of whether we are on US soil or not.

snapshot_ 2021-06-24 at 10.55.37 AM.jpg

America just needs to follow China's example.  Donate vaccines with the stipulation that a small percentage is set aside for Americans in Thailand.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, newnative said:

America just needs to follow China's example.  Donate vaccines with the stipulation that a small percentage is set aside for Americans in Thailand.  

It only seems fair and equitable since our concerns are not being addressed locally...not at all.  I just hope that the present US Administration recognizes this and doesn;t allow the donated vaccines to be administered however the recipient governments desire.  In other words, I have serious concerns about the present Administration and State Department to handle this donated rollout properly.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

they shouldnt do it because its not their business

individuals outside their country must surely organize their own healthcare... or return home

France are the only nation doing this ......at home -based French taxpayer expense no doubt.......

perhaps they are offloading those millions of perfectly good unused AZ vaccines , before expiration, a stockpile that Macron created, stupidly & jealously saying AZ was no good........

Just a note. France and China ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

As a taxpayer I had expectations that my government would show more concern for the well-being of its own citizens than those of other countries. Do you think that's unreasonable?

Next thing you will come with quotes like "government of the people, by the people, for the people"

Yeah, sounds like a great idea. Now who will explain that to the politicians and their sponsors? 

U.S. embassy in Thailand rejects citizens' appeal for vaccines. 

There's no need for Foreign embassies to supply their people who live Abroad with a vaccine . 

There are millions all over the world.  

Foreigners here in Thailand will get their vaccine  (for free) there are already many foreigners who got their Jab ,Me included. 

Anyway it's not really free isn't it .We pay  tax on everything we buy including vehicles and building houses so I think we are on the same level as the Natives some of us maybe on a fraction higher level.

30 minutes ago, whiteflight said:

That is a gross simplification (or misrepresentation).
You are *only* exempt on *foreign* earned income, not on any income considered to be earned from the United States, that includes for example, Social Security, which expatriates are in fact still taxed on, as well as any other investment or interest income you may have in a US bank or brokerage account.

Yes, and US expats owe tax not just on income from US bank or brokerage accounts.  US expats owe US tax on any non-salary income earned anywhere.  For example, investment, trading profit, or interest income that you may have from non-US banks, brokerage accounts, rental property, trading crypto etc etc. 

900 bases in 70 countries "Greatest country in the world" could if we wanted to but for now the state.gov policy is being followed. Don't give up hope though covid pandemic is farm from over. Within this year expats will probably need to be vaccinated to remain in many countries and they are already talking necessary boosters. Will uncle sam be upstaged by China and France two years running?

Edited by Captain Monday

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine every country in this world would supply vaccines to all their citizens which are in other countries in this world. That would be a lot of vaccines flying around the globe. And for what? Most (all?) countries work on the vaccination of all the people in their individual countries. It just takes some time.

As far as I see there is no foreigner in Thailand who didn't voluntarily come to Thailand, maybe except from prisoners. Many foreigners are in Thailand because they enjoy that Thailand is different from home. But then some complain that x and y and z is not like home. Make up your mind! What do you want? Thailand with all the good and all the bad? Or only those parts of Thailand which you like and otherwise your home country should take care of you. Really? 

And what does this have to do with you? This is just one of your many opinions that lack intelligence.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

then go back to USA for that then......

Like they say in America "Love it or leave it" This holds true any ware. Thailand Love it or leave it. I am American and do my damnedest to accept the Thai culture and Thai first, which at times it is difficult but at least I try. All you expats from all over world stop complaining. The entire planet is drowning and you are describing the water. 

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

Will uncle sam be upstaged by hina and France two years running?

Uncle Sam has already been upstaged by France. (I'll leave China out of it because, as far as I know, it's responsible for this mess.)

• Like 2