U.S. embassy in Thailand rejects citizens' appeal for vaccines

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Are ambassadors not just appointees? 

There are two kinds of ambassadors. Political appointees picked by current presidents often as favors for support or contributions and non partisan career diplomats.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Are ambassadors not just appointees? 

Already answered.  But, if you are really interested there is a book commonly referred to as the "Purple Book" which lists all the political donations and the appointmentships (if that is a word) that were received as a thank you, including ambassadorships.   As noted some ambassadors are career level foreign service and some are political appointees.  

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is nothing to be confused about. I don't even believe that you're confused, but whatever. Everyone understands the choices. Some people choose to advocate for a POLICY CHANGE by the State Department. Of course the chances of that aren't at all good. As you seem to bizarrely suggest, nobody thinks there is an option C. Characterizing attempts to change government policy as "whining" is of course your right, but it's unnecessarily insulting. A better word is lobbying. 

Sorry, I have to keep saying that it will only happen by orders from the White House. Forget about "policy change".

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's not about that at all. Expats are being discriminated against based on not being Thai here. High risk Thais prioritized, high risk expats left out for the most part, exceptions do not count. It's much more about wanting to level the playing field at least to some degree. 

In order for the White House to climb down from their position, they need a rationale. They cringe at the so-called optics of vaccinating their expats while the host countries are in chaos, unable or unwilling to supply capable vaccines. A way around this is two pronged: 1) doing as the French have done here to vaccinate their expats (This may not work in certain countries with colonial trauma such as India); 2) announce that the US will build facilities to assure that developing countries can get mRNA vaccines made in USA, this to be done at 'warp speed' or equivalent. If EU, UK are willing to help, all the better, all the sooner, to end this catastrophe.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Heng said:

Do the various embassy locations have a health/medical section for embassy staff (like say on a carrier or military base) or do they need to go off site?   Seems they handled their vaccinations rather efficiently (and quietly).   

The French arranged for this to be done in hospitals in eight cities in Thailand.

Edited by placnx
typo
  • Like 2

wrong comparison. uk jabs for all without citizenship checks.

no benevolence or societal gain involved here in thailand ( pitiful 5% Thais fully vaxed)

thailand : migrant visa check part of reg. so can round up jabbed illegals more easily after “truce”.

truce is not amnesty.............

“non-partisan” diplomats..... er, no, all are whining cowardly “ lets negotiate” apologists for the worse regimes imaginable.....have been drinking the woke koolaid since starting their college “ international relations” liberal arts degrees.......

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mogandave said:

It just had one

As for State needing a cultural revolution, I meant changing from blindly following orders and not thinking much --- to thinking how to do your job better, and encouraging others to do the same. 

16 hours ago, Credo said:

I don't in anyway wish to be insulting, especially towards the people who actually do lobby for the interests of US citizens abroad.   Unfortunately, that lobbying should have started when the vaccine rolled out, but then hind sight is 20/20.

I note a lot of the 'rugged individualists' seem to now want to take a pot shot at their government for not providing for their needs.   

So to you and the many who actually do lobby, I apologize.   

It my fault I suppose!  The thread was quiet until I kicked the hornets nest again, by whinging about the foreign policy statement put out over the weekend by the Administration.  ????  

1 hour ago, placnx said:

As for State needing a cultural revolution, I meant changing from blindly following orders and not thinking much --- to thinking how to do your job better, and encouraging others to do the same. 

Yes, the world would be a much better place if every government official took it upon themselves to ignore whatever orders they have, and just run their departments however they see fit.

What could possibly go wrong…

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 7:42 AM, Ventenio said:

I've never met a responsible adult in Thailand.  Never.  Also never met a person who flew home for the vax.  Flying home is like 30,000 baht to get the "free" vaccine.   It's like saying, "Buy 10 houses to get a free bowl of soup."  

I personally flew around the world 10 times to not be around people.    I'm also on the internet and give advice from my high horse.  

If you don’t have 30,000 baht saved for medical emergencies then I feel empathy for you. As we get older health care is expensive not cheap and we save for health care expensive. Buying 10 houses for a bowl of soup is a poor analogy at best. If you are poor the world does treat you differently and best to be poor in your home country rather than expect your home country to provide you free health care in your chosen retirement country. Good luck to you as life only gets harder without money - never easier. ????

On 6/24/2021 at 8:05 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Wow what a way to immediately be put on ignore because you are way out in left field territory.  The US government wants and needs our taxes each and every month and wants a Tax return completed. The trust the US puts into anyone that is a US Citizen is not trust but ensuring you continually pay your taxes to the US in perpetuity whether you live there or not.  On top of that, you assume that I stated I could not fly home to the US to be vaccinated due to a lack of funds, again you are out in left field and need to step away from the bottle you have been drinking from.  Looks like someone hates the fact that they were mistreated as a kid and could care less about truth and wants to try and treat others who make a statement as an imbecile.  try again, and don't let the door smack you on your way out....

I pay taxes too and I don’t want what you want. Paying taxes does not entitle you to get what you want. I understand you are upset. I made no personal assumption about you. But if you want the vaccine you know where your can get it and you are one of the lucky ones. Bitch on if that makes you feel better.  I can take it as I am thankful I am not in your shoes ???? 

Edited by Wake Up

On 6/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Got the email from the embassy this morning, and I had to just laugh. They have put their trust in Thailand and other countries to vaccinate the citizens who are living or working in those countries.

They're not putting trust in Thailand...they just don't care.

I'm absolutely shocked they're donating vaccine given how we've been treated over the past year (15 years).

Quite obviously the political game has been lost by all presidents and and ambassadors over last generation. Thailand is firmly in communist China's camp. They join Hun Sen's Cambodia and now Myanmar (also linked to Russia).

Pathetic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kynikoi said:

They're not putting trust in Thailand...they just don't care.

I'm absolutely shocked they're donating vaccine given how we've been treated over the past year (15 years).

Quite obviously the political game has been lost by all presidents and and ambassadors over last generation. Thailand is firmly in communist China's camp. They join Hun Sen's Cambodia and now Myanmar (also linked to Russia).

Pathetic

How've you been treated over the last 15 years? 

I seem to be treated okay.