John McAfee, perhaps the world's most notorious American expat, suicided age 75

I think his activities in Belize were especially colorful. 

Can anyone think of a currently living American expat that is more notorious than McAfee was?

OK, he was British born, so perhaps they deserve more credit. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 1:06 PM, Jingthing said:

Can anyone think of a currently living American expat that is more notorious than McAfee was?

Not the top of the list, but makes the honor roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James_Hollywood

Also serves as a cautionary tale for those putting their trust in non-extradition treaties.  He was "hiding out" in a town that's famous in the surfer world, it would be like hiding on Khao San Road.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:06 PM, Jingthing said:

Roman Polanski.

Edit:  And I'm pretty sure Jeffrey Epstein is living it up on a beach somewhere.  Maybe McAfee, too.  Their doppelgangers, not so alive...

Edited by impulse

12 hours ago, bendejo said:

Not the top of the list, but makes the honor roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James_Hollywood

Also serves as a cautionary tale for those putting their trust in non-extradition treaties.  He was "hiding out" in a town that's famous in the surfer world, it would be like hiding on Khao San Road.

Well I don't think he is anywhere near as famous as McAfee was plus he's no longer an expat. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

Roman Polanski.

Edit:  And I'm pretty sure Jeffrey Epstein is living it up on a beach somewhere.  Maybe McAfee, too.  Their doppelgangers, not so alive...

Polanski is not American. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Epstein died in prison in the U.S.

Sure he did.  And the people he had the goods on didn't get caught up in his dead man switch...

We'll never know whether he actually died, or he's living with a new face on a tropical island somewhere.  Same with McAfee.  And Ken Lay.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sure he did.  And the people he had the goods on didn't get caught up in his dead man switch...

We'll never know whether he actually died, or he's living with a new face on a tropical island somewhere.  Same with McAfee.  And Ken Lay.

This is a reality based topic.

• Haha 1

I didn't hear any reports that he had any information on the Clinton's.  Maybe the Clinton computers were running McAfee antivirus software. 

John McAfee, perhaps the world's most notorious American expat, suicided age 75

On 6/25/2021 at 2:36 AM, gargamon said:

From the linked article above:

He was also charged in a separate indictment in Manhattan federal court in March for a pump-and-dump scheme involving cryptocurrencies that he was touting on social media.

In that case, McAfee and an accomplice allegedly bilked bitcoin investors out of some $13 million in two schemes, including one where they bought up large quantities of “alt-coin,” then inflated the price of it by publicizing it on Twitter. 

They then sold off the cryptocurrency at the inflated price and made a $2 million profit, prosecutors said. 

=========

I wonder what handle he used on TV to pump his cryptocurrencies. Anyone care to guess?

Frankly, I don't see the crime here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

This is a reality based topic.

You don't think Epstein is sipping a Martini somewhere with Ghislaine's daddy on a yacht with better hand rails?

... Oh, oh yeah, that doesn't work. Sorry. Robert would be long dead by now. (but is he? Ooooh, oooooooooh)

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

44 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You don't think Epstein is sipping a Martini somewhere with Ghislaine's daddy on a yacht with better hand rails?

... Oh, oh yeah, that doesn't work. Sorry. Robert would be long dead by now. (but is he? Ooooh, oooooooooh)

No Maxwell isn't dead, but I think he ran out of dosh, as I saw him with Elvis in a Pattaya bar not so long ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

Whether you are capable of seeing it or not, pump and dump is illegal. 

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pumpanddump.asp

That's BS tho. 

He marketed something he wanted to sell. Then, he sold it to the highest bidder at market value.

They bought something that was <deleted>, up to them.

I buy <deleted> advertised at 7elevn every day. It never looks like the picture shown. It never lives up to the claim. And my potatoe chip packet is always half empty. Did the advertisement mislead me? Yes. 

No difference, except Macafee did it on a smaller scale.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:06 AM, Jingthing said:

Edward Snowden?  Is he still hiding out in Russia? 

At least McAfee had the option to pick somewhere warm.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2009 said:

He marketed something he wanted to sell. Then, he sold it to the highest bidder at market value.

In marketing something, especially financial instruments, it is and should be illegal to tell lies about it to suck people in to buying it. This has been illegal for a long time. If you are not aware of that, you had best update your education before you get into trouble. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, sqwakvfr said:

He sold the company many years ago.  At least he had over 25 years to blow his millions on what he loved to do.  RIP.  I am typing on this on a laptop with McAfee antivirus software.  

Then you are a fool. Its bloated garbage. 

Edited by n00dle

22 minutes ago, gargamon said:

In marketing something, especially financial instruments, it is and should be illegal to tell lies about it to suck people in to buying it. This has been illegal for a long time. If you are not aware of that, you had best update your education before you get into trouble. 

Or get rich....