Maximising Your Connexion

A_Traveller

Whilst many have found the internet here a trial, {without time off for good behaviour} I've been looking at options to at last make the best of the situation.

So FWIW:-

1. XP reserves 20% of your connection bandwidth. {Note this is not a myth}.

To get it back:-

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc <enter>

Click on Administrative Templates -> Network -> QoS Packet Scheduler

Double click Limit reservable bandwidth.

Change the displayed configuration from “not configured” to “Enabled” and then reduce Bandwidth limit (%) from 20% to zero.

Click OK and reboot the computer.

Windows XP reserves 20% of the available bandwidth despite this option being 'not configured' and even QoS (Quality of Service) feature being disabled by default.

2. TCP/IP limits

After SP2 the ability to tune some elements of IP were removed from registry. tcpip.sys has however been patched and is available on the net. Suggest the following link tcpip patch

These two simple amendments have, in my experience, a direct impact on using the net, downloading etc.

Regards

PS Caution: it's worked for me but I make no warranties implicit or explicit

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

Alexth, are you using XP Home or Pro?

I've not used home for yonks, so I'll have to check if the program is available for it.

Regards

PS Have checked and the QoS is hidden within the XP Pro Policy section. Since Home is not designed to link to a domain, the program is not installed in XP Home. There is a way to install it, but it is both tricky and the results need manual amendment. I'll have a rummage and see if I can find an equivalent registry approach for regedit in Home.

PPS Maybe a mod could add Pro to the subtitle for me, or in the OP?

/edit add PS & PPS//

Done.

Astral

A shame as I only have XP home :o

Edited by astral
Title change

Imo the "qos" thingy is only useful with a modem, because with a router this is the ethernet connection that is dumbed down of 20% bandwith... and well 20% of a 10mb or 100mb connection won't matter much against a slow Internet connection.

The tcp/ip patch is great indeed, it usually improves P2P connections but that's all, note that it can stress connections to your modem/router and you may have to reboot the later, (many routers tends to crash when using P2P)

For Internet only i think that playing with MTU is much more effective for "normal" downloads and browsing.

I have routinely (in both XP and Vista) UNchecked the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in the Properties for the LAN (ADSL) connection. Is that the same as setting it to 0% per the OP?

just a quick question when i try to down load the patch ,, panda antvirus says its a hacking tool named hacktool/EvId,, any ideas please

Just back, I believe it does register as a false positive with some scanners. After all it is an amendment to the fundamental IP stack, so it is not unreasonable to get some notification. The source I gave has been used by many, including me, and I've never heard a single report of any virus/trojan issues.

Regards

I have routinely (in both XP and Vista) UNchecked the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in the Properties for the LAN (ADSL) connection. Is that the same as setting it to 0% per the OP?

Unfortunately no, the position within XP is that QoS, even if disabled, is still active, the oddity is to enable it and then set it to zero. Don't have Vista in front of me as I type so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

By the by I agree there are other, quite possibly smarter options, but in my opinion these two can help most users within the collective environment and do not require an honourary degree in geek :o

Regards

Whilst I know the QoS issue can split users as to it's validity, I've found benefits from it.

I did say yesterday that I'd hunt out a registry version for XP Home and here it is.

Start -> Run -> Regedit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]

[software] -> [Policies] -> [Microsoft] -> [Windows]

Right click on [Windows]

Add New Key

Name for New Key {Capitalisation is important}

Psched

Add DWORD value

Name for Value

NonBestEffortLimit

Value data 0

Exit regedit and reboot the PC.

Regards

PS The tcpip patch is worth doing for all XP version.

Edited by A_Traveller

I have SpeedGuide TCP Optimizer which seems to do the same trick.

Which function/feature are you refering to?

Thanks Traveller, I've implemented your recommendations, though mot sure about the improvements.

How many concurrent connections is really advisable in IE? Why 10?

See the cupture...

post-121-1180179059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Condo_bk

I have SpeedGuide TCP Optimizer which seems to do the same trick.

Which function/feature are you refering to?

Thanks Traveller, I've implemented your recommendations, though mot sure about the improvements.

How many concurrent connections is really advisable in IE? Why 10?

See the cupture...

In this case software you have installed, probably a p2p client has changed the setting, the simple patch offers either the standard 10 or 50. There are arguments against going so high but you are best leaving you settings as they are.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

Whilst many have found the internet here a trial, {without time off for good behaviour} I've been looking at options to at last make the best of the situation.

So FWIW:-

To get it back:-

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc <enter>

Click on Administrative Templates -> Network -> QoS Packet Scheduler

Double click Limit reservable bandwidth.

Change the displayed configuration from “not configured” to “Enabled” and then reduce Bandwidth limit (%) from 20% to zero.

Click OK and reboot the computer.

Windows XP reserves 20% of the available bandwidth despite this option being 'not configured' and even QoS (Quality of Service) feature being disabled by default.

2. TCP/IP limits

After SP2 the ability to tune some elements of IP were removed from registry. tcpip.sys has however been patched and is available on the net. Suggest the following link tcpip patch

These two simple amendments have, in my experience, a direct impact on using the net, downloading etc.

Regards

PS Caution: it's worked for me but I make no warranties implicit or explicit

/edit typo //

Thanks and thanks..the difference is amazing..TOT is so slow here

Thanks to astral's passing mention of SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer, I downloaded a new version of it and tried it to change to optimal settings.

However, regardless what I set the settings, after a reboot they revert to:

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »

Tested on: 05.26.2007 14:33

IP address: 124.157.xxx.xx

TCP options string: 020405780103030801010402

MSS: 1400

MTU: 1440

TCP Window: 65792 (NOT multiple of MSS)

RWIN Scaling: 8

Unscaled RWIN : 257

Reccomended RWINs: 64400, 128800, 257600, 515200

BDP limit (200ms): 2632kbps (329KBytes/s)

BDP limit (500ms): 1053kbps (132KBytes/s)

MTU Discovery: ON

TTL: 33

Timestamps: OFF

SACKs: ON

IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

The first time I forgot to check the PPPoE checkbox, and the recommended value was 1500. Next time around, I did check the PPPoE checkbox and the recommended value was 1492. Then after reading the FAQ about some PPPoE's needing 1480, I tried a third time with that setting. I rebooted after each attempt to set the MTU, and after each reboot, the settings stayed as shown above, namely MTU=1440, in SpeedGuide TCP Analyzer Results

[added later: FYI, I just ran the 'LargestMTU" utility in the TCP Optimizer, and it determined: "The largest possible non-fragmented packet is 1500 (1528 - 28 ICMP & IP headers). You can set your MTU to 1528"]

The SpeedGuide TCP Analyzer Results do display a note saying: "MTU is not fully optimized for broadband. Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for better throughput. If you are using a router, it could be limiting your MTU regardless of Registry settings." So, I ran through all my ADSL modem/router's settings and I see no place to set MTU/RWIN/etc. I also searched the 460-page downloaded "User Guide" for the router, and could not find the text strings "MTU" or "RWIN." Is it likely that the router is hard-wired to a lower MTU value? It's a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW Modem/Router.

If it is NOT the router that is limiting the results displayed by the TCP Analyzer, any ideas why new settings for MTU via the TCP Optimizer software don't "stick"?

To follow up on my concerns in the previous post, I did a search of the registry and found that my settings (1500, 1480, 1492, etc) *are* being stored there.

Not only that, my tweaking may have had some effect. Granted it's 0300am here now, but running ThaiVisa's speedtest and also the Speakeasy speed tests using USA servers, they are all consistently reporting download speeds of 910-920kbps. Previously, the best I had seen (even in the middle of the night) was the upper 800's kbps.

So, although academically I'm interested in the questions I asked above, perhaps I shouldn't risk changing anything? Methinks 910kpbs on an advertised 1Mbps TT&T connection from Thailand to USA servers is not so bad!

Speed faster sure now but...no more hotmail.

firefox says error while process. request

ref 1024b402d45 1180281055 dffe 212

This is zulu langage for me :o

Not too nnoying my hotmail account is not my main one.

Other sites OK

Sorry, A_Traveller, but the QoS tweak is a myth. You can confirm this by searching Microsoft's Knowledge Base (keyword QoS) at http://support.microsoft.com/. Basically, QoS scheduler reserves up to 20% of available bandwidth ONLY as it needs it. Under normal circumstances, this means that 100% of bandwidth is available for i-Net surfing. A significant benefit of leaving QoS alone is that it regulates (i.e., allocates) available bandwidth (usually 100%) in equal amounts among all active connections. So, e.g., if you have four sites going at once (perhaps a couple of downloads, an IM session, & visiting www.mlin.net, e.g.), then each is allocated 25%.

Edited by SeabagsFull

Sorry, A_Traveller, but the QoS tweak is a myth. You can confirm this by searching Microsoft's Knowledge Base (keyword QoS) at http://support.microsoft.com/. Basically, QoS scheduler reserves up to 20% of available bandwidth ONLY as it needs it. Under normal circumstances, this means that 100% of bandwidth is available for i-Net surfing. A significant benefit of leaving QoS alone is that it regulates (i.e., allocates) available bandwidth (usually 100%) in equal amounts among all active connections. So, e.g., if you have four sites going at once (perhaps a couple of downloads, an IM session, & visiting www.mlin.net, e.g.), then each is allocated 25%.

Nice first post. Not going to get into an argument about this as I already said in the thread this 'splits users' rather like an apple vs MS session. Feel free to ignore.

Regards

PS Welcome to the board.

The Hotmail problem was much more an ISP problem...you know the reliability of TOT

But more annoying

I am on a network with my second PC which is the printer server.I didn't implement the suggested modif. on it

Now

-cannot print anymore from my laptop (modified)

-cannot transfer files with PClink2 between the 2 computer

Will try to come back to original settings

Any advice would be welcome :o

Any advice would be welcome :D

R T F M

what does this mean...

You are aa good contributor perhaps :o

Anyhow,problem solved .I made a mis spelling in the suggested modif.Now everything peeeerfect :D

Despite the fact I was manager of high end software cy in Europ,(Cad Cam)...I am really very good in using windows :D :D

Any advice would be welcome :D

R T F M

what does this mean...

You are aa good contributor perhaps :o

Anyhow,problem solved .I made a mis spelling in the suggested modif.Now everything peeeerfect :D

Despite the fact I was manager of high end software cy in Europ,(Cad Cam)...I am really very good in using windows :D:D

No need for explainations, you answered it in one - well done and happy hacking of your wintel device ..