I want to whine about the West and "woke" generation

Pravda

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why are you guys going on about circumcision for either gender being for religious reasons? Millions of non Jewish and non Muslim men have been circumcised.

Female mutilation is a cultural thing, as it's not an Islamic requirement.

https://www.unfpa.org/sites/default/files/pub-pdf/De-linking FGM from Islam final report.pdf

A careful and objective look at the Quran reveals that there is no single verse supportingFGM/C.

I wasn't particularly......if that is how it reads, sorry........ my mistake..........my beef is with adults thinking they have a right to mutilate children on whatever grounds they dream up (other medical)........I wouldn't even allow my wife to have our daughters ears pierced......a cultural thing for her being Serbian orthodox.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I don't want Thailand overrun by Europeans because I understand this will pollute Thai culture and lead to conflict. Likewise, when in America I don't like being overrun by Latin Americans because this will pollute the culture and cause conflict.

Cultures have changed for centuries with borders and language also.  In all previous cases this was caused by conflict with the victorious taking over the land and absorbing the conquered territory.  Now for the first time, the West is actively embarking on policies that not only promote self destruction of their culture but financially supporting it. 

In 1924 following huge inflows of immigrants the USA passed an immigration act that limited entry into the USA by ethnic group.  It limited annual immigration by region to 2% of the existing population of each ethnic group.  It did so to allow time for the immigrants to assimilate and to prevent the existing American Culture from being flooded with immigrants from one region thereby transforming it.  That remained until 2005 when liberal Ted Kennedy spearheaded a movement to replace the 1924 immigration act. 

I believe Thailand is smart in restricting entry if it also wants to preserve its culture.   Any nation that is swamped with entrants from a single foreign region is not promoting immigration but rather cultural suicide. 

The Immigration Act of 1924 limited the number of immigrants allowed entry into the United States through a national origins quota. The quota provided immigration visas to two percent of the total number of people of each nationality in the United States as of the 1890 national census.

Just now, Surelynot said:

I wasn't particularly......if that is how it reads, sorry........ my mistake..........my beef is with adults thinking they have a right to mutilate children on whatever grounds they dream up (other medical)........I wouldn't even allow my wife to have our daughters ears pierced......a cultural thing for her being Serbian orthodox.

I saw a news item from a US tv channel saying something about congress going to stop parents using puberty blockers or gender surgery on their children. I was boggled that it was even permitted in the first place.

I saw a news item from a US tv channel saying something about congress going to stop parents using puberty blockers or gender surgery on their children. I was boggled that it was even permitted in the first place.

If they aren't 18 it ain't happening in my book........the single biggest "no no" is religious indoctrination from parents, the State and schools.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think the poster you were addressing was pointing out the hypocrisy of those who rail out of one corner of their mouth about "woke" culture and excessive attention to social injustice, and who then endlessly moan about every possible injustice they can find about how they are treated in Thailand (i.e., being called farang, dual pricing, etc.)

The poster was also pointing out the hypocrisy of people who champion anti-immigration and racial identity politics in their home countries at the same time they choose to marry non-white spouses and live in non-white countries when it suits their needs. What visa someone happens to be on is irrelevant to the issue of whether their behavior is hypocritical.

Can you quote a single TVF poster that champions anti-immigration and racial identity politics in their home countries?

I've seen none that do. What we say, to my knowledge, is that immigration should be done legally, and not by illegally invading another country. None of us were smuggled over the border by well paid coyotes.

No hypocrisy going on IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

but it's not 1800 anymore. The immigrants today are coming into well established cities and inserting themselves into communities and competing for jobs, housing etc...

Not a big history buff, eh.

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

To this point, we have people that literally built schools and the towns around them being displaced by Latin Americans who are just arriving yesterday.

Wait... didn't it work the other way around in Texas, California etc where Spanish cities, towns, villages existed pre "manifest destiny"? Or maybe Tulsa...

Edited by mikebike

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I am descended from the inhabitants of a country that was colonised by England for centuries, and the history of English rule is not a happy one

Not happy is the general emotion of the colonized... nothing special there. Were your ancestors enslaved and/or re-educated?

42 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Not happy is the general emotion of the colonized... nothing special there. Were your ancestors enslaved and/or re-educated?

Go back far enough and everyone was enslaved if conquered.

However, I do believe that some Irish were sent to America as slaves by the English. I can't say as to whether any of MY ancestors were among them.

The English didn't generally bother with "re education" preferring to send those that erred by stealing food to eat, during a famine, to Australia.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

You appear to be a very confused person !!!

We are not immigrants.... Yesterday you called me an immigrant.

Use more water in your drink next time, or better still only post when sober.????????????????????

You spoke about Enoch Powell “being right” … he was talking about an influx of foreigners into the UK, yet you are part of an influx of foreigners to Thailand? So by logical extension Thailand would be “right” to kick you out? I’m only pointing out your hypocrisy Colin. Suck it up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

As I was showering in the locker room of a Vancouver gym, two female employees  enter. We told them to "get out". They said "we are just doing our job" then they started refilling the soap containers, and collecting old towels. Our complaints fell on deaf ears. We were told that there were no male staff that day, and that we needed to accept it, and that it was their right to equal employment that permitted them to enter. LOL!

ARGO 2.0 !!!

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

if rumak disappears,   please start a Save Willie  campaign. 

just make sure you have the tracking GPS wristband on at all times so we know what bar to look in.

6 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I don't want Thailand overrun by Europeans because I understand this will pollute Thai culture and lead to conflict. Likewise, when in America I don't like being overrun by Latin Americans because this will pollute the culture and cause conflict.

You better build a Trump wall around the country, close airspace, stop the internet, no mail, no TV, if you want to stop "European" and "Latin American" pollution.

And teach children in school that "We are the Chosen People" ...

Oh, sorry, my mistake, that line is already taken by some folks in the Eastern Med

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

just make sure you have the tracking GPS wristband on at all times so we know what bar to look in.

I wear it all the time !

image.jpeg.8bd73e0abe3611ba74561f26f99d262f.jpeg

• Haha 1

Mark Miley, the chairman of the joint chiefs of Staff, said this “I want to understand white rage?”.  Ahh, to the top highest ranking officer in the United States Military, speaking as person who is neither black or white, “White Rage” is the culmination of the emotions where every time a qualified applicant  is passed over for a promotion or job selection in the name of “diversity and/or  affirmative action”.  

Just imagine how you would feel if you do not get the job that you were qualified for and instead it is given to a diversity candidate.  I would feel some anger and oh yeah “(insert name of race) rage”.  This has been going on for years.  Speaking as an American I can clearly see that the TSA(Transportation Security Administration) hires based upon diversity/affirmative action.  Just think about that the next time you go through an American Airport.   

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Just imagine how you would feel if you do not get the job that you were qualified for and instead it is given to a diversity candidate.

The same as you would feel if you can't even get an interview due to your name I would imagine.

• Like 1

Here is a link for Enoch Powell's 1968 'Rivers of Blood' speech which a poster on page 2 of this thread lauded as presciently warning about the dangers of immigration. I will admit that I was not familiar with Enoch Powell or his speech beforehand, but I have now read it carefully.

https://anth1001.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/enoch-powell_speech.pdf

I would describe it as racist fear-mongering, anti-civil rights, anti-integration, segregationist, even going so far as to advocate repatriation of citizens from Commonwealth countries who already had British citizenship. It is a speech which might have been delivered by 1960's reactionary American politicians such as George Wallace, Strom Thurmond, or Barry Goldwater, even possibly delivered at a KKK rally. It was also reminiscent of the same "they're sending their criminals, rapists and drug dealers" language that Trump used to stoke fear in his electoral base.

He argues against allowing immigration from Commonwealth countries and against a civil rights bill banning housing and employment discrimination. Much of the speech is devoted to fear-mongering anecdotes about what would happen if immigration were to be allowed, or the civil rights bill banning housing and employment discrimination were to be passed.

A very backward looking and reactionary speech at the time it was given, and scarcely a sound template for how to move forward in today's world.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I've never said the past should be forgotten. Far from it. The past should be studied closely. The debate here is about present day responsibility for historical actions. 

these 'historical actions' concerning Canadian aboriginal people are still ongoing. Atrocities are very recent and the pain felt is current. Racists need to learn to wake up and smell your hypocrisy..

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/29/indigenous-people-in-canada-grapple-with-unthinkable-loss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Here is a link for Enoch Powell's 1968 'Rivers of Blood' speech which a poster on page 2 of this thread lauded as presciently warning about the dangers of immigration. I will admit that I was not familiar with Enoch Powell or his speech beforehand, but I have now read it carefully.

https://anth1001.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/enoch-powell_speech.pdf

I would describe it as racist fear-mongering, anti-civil rights, anti-integration, segregationist, even going so far as to advocate repatriation of citizens from Commonwealth countries who already had British citizenship. It is a speech which might have been delivered by 1960's reactionary American politicians such as George Wallace, Strom Thurmond, or Barry Goldwater, even possibly delivered at a KKK rally. It was also reminiscent of the same "they're sending their criminals, rapists and drug dealers" language that Trump used to stoke fear in his electoral base.

He argues against allowing immigration from Commonwealth countries and against a civil rights bill banning housing and employment discrimination. Much of the speech is devoted to fear-mongering anecdotes about what would happen if immigration were to be allowed, or the civil rights bill banning housing and employment discrimination were to be passed.

A very backward looking and reactionary speech at the time it was given, and scarcely a sound template for how to move forward in today's world.

However, it seems he made a valid point, whatever the woke interpretation of his words may be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I understand that the situation in Canada is traumatic for the people involved, I take issue with your broad brush implication that TVF is full of racists that need to feel guilty about a situation they have had zero to do with.

I don't give a flying one for anyone living outside my current household.

Or for any historical crimes rich aristocratic Brits made in the past.

My historical family never owned anything or anyone.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I don't give a flying one for anyone living outside my household.

Or for any historical crimes rich Brits made in the past.

My historical family never owned anything or anyone.

The longer I live the more I realise that that is the attitude I should have had all along. Trying to be nice to people only worked out badly for me.

Like they say- no good turn goes unpunished.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are behind the times IMO.

Western education is dead IMO and all it is now IMO is indoctrination. Look at what is happening in the US with the abominable "critical race theory" ( or "how to make children hate other races" ). Thankfully the woke went too far too fast and the resistance has begun.

The  Centrists are moving Right.

Thankfully, the family remains - much to the consternation of the Far Left - the primary agent of socialization.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Does woke equal pc? Weird term

I don't think so. Obama actually started using it, far as I know, though he probably got it from someone else. I doubt he used it in the same way that it is used now. Rather like how gay used to describe a happy carefree person, but now refers to homosexuals.

I'm not sure how he meant it, but far as I know it's now a derogatory term for an overly PC person or group.

I don't think so. Obama actually started using it, far as I know, though he probably got it from someone else. I doubt he used it in the same way that it is used now. Rather like how gay used to describe a happy carefree person, but now refers to homosexuals.

I'm not sure how he meant it, but far as I know it's now a derogatory term for an overly PC person or group.

Social justic warriors accord to google

ie <deleted>