Dducati Scrambler - Any Good ?

Have had a Ful Throttle since 2015, 25,000kms and counting. I paid 300K for it with 2,000kms on it, i think it was about 420K new at the time.

Pro's:

Looks great

Handles well, great fun ( not been off road on it )

Great sound with stock Termi

Reliable ( never let me down )

Very comfortable seat

Con's:

It's quite low if you're tall

<deleted> turning circle

No fuel gauge ( slightly annoying )

Hope this helps, i'm sure at Ducati they'll let you take one for a test drive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Are you asking if they are good as a scrambler/dirt bike?

No, not really, cos i think using it on the dirt would wreck it !  - im my book its a road bike, that if you see a (dry) dirt track, you could go down and explore without too much problem ......

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Have had a Ful Throttle since 2015, 25,000kms and counting. I paid 300K for it with 2,000kms on it, i think it was about 420K new at the time.

Pro's:

Looks great

Handles well, great fun ( not been off road on it )

Great sound with stock Termi

Reliable ( never let me down )

Very comfortable seat

Con's:

It's quite low if you're tall

<deleted> turning circle

No fuel gauge ( slightly annoying )

Hope this helps, i'm sure at Ducati they'll let you take one for a test drive.

Wow, a very interesting and informative post .....

I'm 5'10" and the second hand one i sat on at a local dealers  (a red "Icon") fitted me like a glove, could "flat foot" with both feet ...

Love the comment that its "great fun" - thats what i'm looking for - So many drab and boring bikes out there......

What about servicing costs ? ive heard they need lots of money chucking at them to keep them on the road ?

5 hours ago, piston broke said:

im my book its a road bike, that if you see a (dry) dirt track, you could go down and explore without too much problem ......

This applies to most all motorcycles.

I sat on the 803cc Ducati Scramblers....  I’m 183cm and I felt like a circus bear on a trike - they felt just too small. 

- Cafe Racer - felt way too small, tiny, handle bars near my knees - way too small, but that was my favourite. 

- Icon - too small for me, but looked a little ’normal'

- Full - throttle, looks awesome

- Desert Sled - height was ok

If you are shorter than 175cm any of these bikes should fit well.

If you are taller than 175cm you may want to look at the 1100cc Scrambler models as the frame set is larger. 

But, the larger and heavier bike is less convenient in the city, it ideal for Bangkok so I pulled the plug on the idea. 

Heat may also have been an issue with the air-cooled engines..... Lots of sitting in traffic or going very slowly in stop start traffic, or stuck at traffic lights..... I always wondered if the Air-cooled engine wouldn’t get too hot (even when turning it off at the lights). 

7 hours ago, piston broke said:

Wow, a very interesting and informative post .....

I'm 5'10" and the second hand one i sat on at a local dealers  (a red "Icon") fitted me like a glove, could "flat foot" with both feet ...

Love the comment that its "great fun" - thats what i'm looking for - So many drab and boring bikes out there......

What about servicing costs ? ive heard they need lots of money chucking at them to keep them on the road ?

Servicing costs aren't too bad, i can't remember exactly what but they're not outrageuous, the 25K only was about 17K i think but that's a significant one.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Heat may also have been an issue with the air-cooled engines..... Lots of sitting in traffic or going very slowly in stop start traffic, or stuck at traffic lights..... I always wondered if the Air-cooled engine wouldn’t get too hot (even when turning it off at the lights). 

Fair comment about heat, very hot at a standstill and little protection from engine.

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

That's way out of my league for bike maint ....

This afternoon went to the shop to test ride the scrambler ... Was impressed ... They also had an MT07, test rode that and was even more impressed....very light and agile ...feels more like a 500 than a 700 .... chucking in the Scrambler's service costs, i'm leaning towards the MT07 ....

Will sleep on it ...

If you like MT07 also try XSR700..., I saw a red one yesterday, it looks really cool, very retro (as oppose to all the Transformer look new bikes these days), same engine, not sure about seating position, might be slightly different..., you can pick up a used MT07 cheaply nowadays, not many XSR700 around though...

I have also had 5 min on a Suzuki Gladius 650 V-twin, it's quite a nice one too, it's a bit heavier than new model SV650 , but I prefer the look (as oppose to most people ...! lol), heavier maybe more planted than new model I guess, same engine..., made in Japan, but forget about selling a Suzuki, here in Thailand not many takers...!

Buying Ducati, Triumph or BMW and the likes in Thailand means you must be a "real" fan.... , not think of it economically...????

2 hours ago, piston broke said:

That's way out of my league for bike maint ....

Then an European big bike might be out of your league.

Riding a 400k+ THB big bike is quite expensive, calculate at least 3THB per kilometer just for fuel and maintenance, depending on the bike this can also easily be 5THB or more.

Edited by jackdd