Covid Extensions

Visited Chaeng Watthana today for a new "Covid" Extension and was told this would be last one I was allowed.

In fact my extension this time was only allowed after they hand wrote a form that stated I would either fly out of the country or apply for a 1 year extension.

The 1 year extension route I guess effectively means I need to drop 400K into an account tonight to meet the 2 month seasoning requirement.

I was required to sign this hand written form.  They didn't write in or stamp my passport except for the usual "under consideration" stamp. There is one particular female officer handling the "Covid" extensions at CW now and she is most definitely exercising her "discretion" regarding applicants.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So how did you last enter Thailand? 

Tourist visa, visa exempt etc ?

Non O Marriage, which is why all this time we have had to attend CW for extensions, MTT sent us back there from the very beginning.

In any case CW it would seem is now capping the "Covid" extension, admittedly it was meant to be used if there was no way of returning home or leaving the country.

She told us every farang can go home now, which I suppose is technically true.

Edited by fondue zoo

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't agree with her. 

For as long as the government approves the issue of covid extensions then that's all there is to it. 

I'm less sympathetic to folk like yourself that has fairly simple option to remain in Thailand. That being a 12 month extension. Yes smallish amount of money required in bank for few months then it can be used.

No reason that you cannot obtain covid extensions, however personally I would have obtained an extension at the start.

It's not as though covid extensions are free and you need visit imm twice per extension.

It's true, I'm not denying the 1 year extension option is available.

But as far as she and CW are concerned the number of times you can use the extension is up to them on the day.

She and her manager made it clear to my partner that no farang is "stranded" anymore.

1 hour ago, KamnanT said:

And they know this by reading international newspapers, watching BBC World News and trawling TV three times a week?  I think not.  No doubt many countries are open for returns but many are not (Australia springs to mind...it can take months for an Australian citizen to get permission to return and a spot in a quarantine hotel).  The truth is they have little idea what the rules are in Thailand and no clue what they are elsewhere.  I am not suggesting that COVID extensions should go on forever but saying "no farang is stranded anymore" is simply not true.

1 hour ago, KamnanT said:

And they know this by reading international newspapers, watching BBC World News and trawling TV three times a week?  I think not.  No doubt many countries are open for returns but many are not (Australia springs to mind...it can take months for an Australian citizen to get permission to return and a spot in a quarantine hotel).  The truth is they have little idea what the rules are in Thailand and no clue what they are elsewhere.  I am not suggesting that COVID extensions should go on forever but saying "no farang is stranded anymore" is simply not true.

The Aussie experience, I asked DFAT for a certificate of entry for December and was told that they do not exist. 

Entry is granted to ALL confirmed air tickets? 

I suspect it is the responsibility of the airline to ensure that the passengers are eligible for entry and if the flight is granted permission to fly then the authorities have pre booked the hotel accommodation. 

I will let you know how I get on, Bacolod to Manila, Manila to Denpasar and Denpasar to Perth, booked paid for and confirmed. 

I was hoping that with a negative PCR test before flying and two vaccine shots home quarantine may be allowed but a recent outbreak of the Delta varient has them all in a tizz, so I will probably have to pony up the $2,500 AUD for hotel quarantine. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find reports of not being able to return to Australia are greatly exaggerated. Citizens/residents dont need permission to return, quarantine hotels are assigned on arrival and there is no facility to book.

Exempt categories

You are automatically exempt from the travel restrictions and can enter Australia (without obtaining an individual exemption) if you are:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions

Can you choose your own hotel?

All hotel quarantine for travellers is pre-arranged and you are not required to make a booking. It is not possible to advise in advance which hotel you will stay at. This is determined on the day of your arrival.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/hotel-quarantine.aspx

I have a recollection of stating they'd be doing covid extensions til end of september, meaning august would be your last one.

Of course, how can you say that covid isn't a concern anymore while simultaneously locking everything down again?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I have a recollection of stating they'd be doing covid extensions til end of september, meaning august would be your last one.

I have seen nothing stating September.

At this time the order for them ends on July 29th but it may be extended again for 2 months. 

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I have seen nothing stating September.

At this time the order for them ends on July 29th but it may be extended again for 2 months. 

that might be it then, that would take us TO end of September if taken then

• Like 1

With no note in my passport, the handwritten note more than likely lost to the stacks, and if I was a gambling man, I'd bet that if I spoke to another officer there would be none of this guff next time.  I also realised late last night they need 15 days?  to to process a 1 year extension which means I can't season 400K in time anyhow.

22 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I also realised late last night they need 15 days?  to to process a 1 year extension which means I can't season 400K in time anyhow.

There is no minimum of 15 days to apply for a extension of stay. That is only to apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

You can apply for the extension on the last day of your permit to stay if you want to.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

With no note in my passport, the handwritten note more than likely lost to the stacks, and if I was a gambling man, I'd bet that if I spoke to another officer there would be none of this guff next time.  I also realised late last night they need 15 days?  to to process a 1 year extension which means I can't season 400K in time anyhow.

As stated earlier there is no reason that you cannot obtain another covid extension. The io you spoke to is being stupid and enjoying power trip. Very surprised that this happened at CW. Sounds more like the typical up country rubbish.

Here is link to affidavit. Do a print out. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659

As a fall back position use an agent.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

It's true, I'm not denying the 1 year extension option is available.

But as far as she and CW are concerned the number of times you can use the extension is up to them on the day.

She and her manager made it clear to my partner that no farang is "stranded" anymore.

i can see how they would come to that conclusion considering phuket sandbox opens in 2 days.

not saying its right (i'd base it on local borders being open) just saying i can see how they could justify it.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

As stated earlier there is no reason that you cannot obtain another covid extension. The io you spoke to is being stupid and enjoying power trip. Very surprised that this happened at CW. Sounds more like the typical up country rubbish.

Here is link to affidavit. Do a print out. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659 229.8 kB · 426 downloads

As a fall back position use an agent.

Yes, that was the form she first gave us, then after a few minutes, decided that this was my last covid extension and I would only get it if I signed a handwritten note saying I would get a 1 year extension next time, which she placed into my pile of papers. She called over her senior who then lectured us about the proper use of the covid extension. They were both adamant I had to either leave the country or apply for the 1 year extension next time. At that point I could see they were not going to be reasoned with and signed their silly handwritten note.

And yes, I contacted an agent today to get some information etc.  Their advice was to talk to another IO next time, unfortunately her cubicle section are the only staff looking after covid extensions at CW now.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no minimum of 15 days to apply for a extension of stay. That is only to apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

You can apply for the extension on the last day of your permit to stay if you want to.

okay, so I can apply in the last week of my current extension, and the 400K doesn't have to have been in my account for 2 months on the day of application?

1 minute ago, fondue zoo said:

okay, so I can apply in the last week of my current extension, and the 400K doesn't have to have been in my account for 2 months on the day of application?

I thought you mentioned earlier that you had already obtained a non O marriage? 

5 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I did not say you did not need the 400k baht in the bank.

I was just stating you did not have to the extension 15 days early.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I did not say you did not need the 400k baht in the bank.

I was just stating you did not have to the extension 15 days early.

okay, misunderstood.

The 400K won't be seasoned enough in that case so it's an agent or the TM30 in another province option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

okay, misunderstood.

The 400K won't be seasoned enough in that case so it's an agent or the TM30 in another province option

Just to be clear. For the non O marriage the 400k needs to be in bank on day of application only.

For a 12 month extension you need to have had money in the bank for 2 months (seasoning) 

So did you obtain non o previously then obtain covid extensions? 

4 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

okay, misunderstood.

The 400K won't be seasoned enough in that case so it's an agent or the TM30 in another province option.

When does your current extension end?

I am sure if you put the 400k baht in the bank and showed them proof you need another extension to have it in the bank for 2 months.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Just to be clear. For the non O marriage the 400k needs to be in bank on day of application only.

For a 12 month extension you need to have had money in the bank for 2 months (seasoning) 

So did you obtain non o previously then obtain covid extensions? 

Yes this would be a 12 month extension, it is what the CW IO officer requested I do next time.