How does a Thai get a visa to visit the US?

20 minutes ago, andy said:

Interesting, was this due to Covid?  Wife got her 2nd one in 2017, although the "interview" was basically a formality, it was still required.

No idea. She's at work so I can't ask her but she did mention something like that today saying this method will disappear 31 Dec and she considered herself fortunate.

7 hours ago, andy said:

Not true.  All tourists visas issued to Thais are 10 year multi-entry.

Complete BS, but this myth gets put out every time a thread of this nature comes up.  Tourist visas are case by case.

The second one is a slam dunk.  My wife went in, had a 30 second interview, no docs asked for.  Passport with new 10 year visa was in the mail the same day.  The only hard part about the 2nd one is that you have to list all visits to USA with dates in the application form.

Not true for me in the past I've applied for a number of Tourist Visa since 2006 last one 2016 each time given single visit as far as I know I was given a specific time period once granted to complete the trip was usually 6 month.  Last month through my family lawyer in Bangkok now applying for a 10 year maybe something change recently?

Edited by thailand49

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not true for me in the past I've applied for a number of Tourist Visa since 2006 last one 2016 each time given single visit as far as I know I was given a specific time period once granted to complete the trip was usually 6 month.  Last month through my family lawyer in Bangkok now applying for a 10 year maybe something change recently?

This is true. Can be a one off, ten year and I've also heard of five years as well.

• Like 1

It's pretty difficult!

My GF works as a supervisior for an international clothing company. Over 30 years and close to retirement. She had a letter from the company granting her a few weeks off to visit the USA. Never any legal problems and lots of family here including a daughter who lives at home. She had low bank balances but showed that she would stay with me. (That was a mistake). At her interview which lasted about 3 minutes she was given a form letter which basically said that they didn't think that she had sufficient ties to Thailand and was likely to overstay! 

Biden is presently allowing hundreds of thousands of illegals to enter the USA illegally but it is almost impossible to get a Thai person in legally. The exception seems to be if they have substantial funds, own real estate in Thailand etc.  My friend gave his GF 2 new cars and a house in her name. They have applied for a fiance visa. This was about a year ago. They finally got a partial approval and are waiting for another interview at the BKK embassy?

Best of luck with your application!

Apart from the issues of finance and assets and reason for return raised by others, 

travel history is important too, sending in a blank (and possibly her first) passport is likely to be rejected

traffickers would season the passport by having the girl travel somewhere safe like Japan where Thais don't need visas to enter, the immigration would see the pattern of regular middle class Thai taking holiday and give he a pass 

On 6/29/2021 at 8:04 PM, habuspasha said:

Thank you all.  We qualify on some points.  She will have a return ticket, maybe business class, if it matters.  She has a child, a nephew who is like another son, both in school,  and parents she largely supports.  She owns the family house (and still owns their previous one).  The downside is that she doesn't have a job.  I'm the source of support for all of that.  Have been for six years.  She has been taking university extension courses but no specific career plans.  Should I write to embassy people?  I could explain that she will certainly return because I cannot ask her to stay.

And the reason that, despite supporting her and her family, you don't just marry her is what, exactly?  

15 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

And the reason that, despite supporting her and her family, you don't just marry her is what, exactly?  

I'm not sure that "what exactly" is anything to discuss here, but I am not able to atm.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, habuspasha said:

Is it difficult?

Not difficult IF a) she can demonstrate enough assets and financial resources b) she can convince the embassy on the "balance of probabilities" that she will definitely return to Thailand which she can do by showing one or several of the following: a stable, lasting, tenured and well-compensated job, substantial assets or an active business where she holds a directorial, managerial or leading role (a waitress for example won't cut it), a satisfactory travel history and a pattern of returning to Thailand and respecting the conditions of previously issued visas (especially if she has had a visa issued by a G7 country, a Schengen or UK or Australian visa).

If interviewed, she might be asked about her intentions in the US. Going for a vaccine jab alone is unlikely to convince the consular officer to give her a B-2 visa. Saying she plans to visit you might cause the officer to be suspicious about a potential relationship and a motive to stay longer (or forever) in the US.

She must conclusively establish that she intends to return to Thailand. Under US immigration law, there is a presumption of immigrant intent (meaning it will be assumed that the applicant has the intent to move to the United States permanently) regardless of visa type being sought by the applicant. It is this presumption which your girlfriend must negate and demonstrate to the satisfaction of the visa officer that she is entitled to non-immigrant status.

Edited by mvdf