immigration letter - residence - for motorcycle ownership

JRG23

I have bought a new Honda. I am being told that I now need a letter of residence from immigration to get the registration in my name.

Does anyone know the process to acquire this "letter of residence"?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

J

Edited by JRG23

18 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Immigration office is the place to go.

Be aware that some immigration offices require a letter from DLT (land transport office) that you need such letter.

Yes: a letter saying you need a letter.

Where do you live/which immigration?

I read that in Bangkok it might take weeks for immigration to write the letter?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Often letters with your name and address on it are good enough. Like letters from the bank, phone company, etc. 

Which DLT accepts those? I haven't heard of this so far. All DLTs that I interacted with (Phuket, BKK, Khon Kaen) have asked for a certificate of residence from immigration.

1 hour ago, JRG23 said:

I have bought a new Honda. I am being told that I now need a letter of residence from immigration to get the registration in my name.

Use the search functionality and look for certificate of residence in this sub-forum. Plenty of topics on this matter. A simple google search will also give you a bunch of sites explaining it. The process/requirements might be slightly different depending on which immigration office you are using so best is to just go and ask if it's not too far away.

• Like 1

Each DLT may vary slightly but require a form or proof of address: 

1 - Letter of Residence from Immigration

2 - Affirmation of Address from Embassy

3 - Yellow Tabien Baan House Book (and Pink ID)

4 - Utility Bill

1 - Most common for this purpose - different immigration offices have different requirements for this, some require you to have carried out a 90 day report already (on your current stay), while others do not. Some will issue a letter immediately for free, some for a Price (i.e. 500 baht), others will take two weeks. 

2 - Very Common for this purpose - Your Embassy will (should) issue an Affirmation of Address, usually at a cost (UK Embassy is 2500 baht and also a two week wait to book an appointment). 

3 - Yellow Tabien Baan and Pink ID - IF you already have one of these, this is one of the areas it comes in useful (but, not all DLT’s accept it)

4 - Utility Bill - Some posters have commented that the DLT will accept a utility bill as proof of address, but really, this is extremely rare. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have mentioned my local immigration office is Chaengwattana.

Do I just turnup and ask for the letter of residence. I presume I'd need passport and evidence of me staying at this address.

Thanks

23 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Sorry, I should have mentioned my local immigration office is Chaengwattana.

Do I just turnup and ask for the letter of residence. I presume I'd need passport and evidence of me staying at this address.

Thanks

It is now located at the new Muang Ton Thani Immigration.

I think you can book online, but two months ago I just turned up. Passport, 90 Day Reporting, Letter from a utility I think. Took about 30 minutes