Thailand reports new daily record of 57 coronavirus deaths; 5,533 new cases

webfact

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

As many of us have been saying for months, if they ramped up their testing nationwide, they'd find they have a multiple of these cases per day. 12K, 18K, who knows?

Their testing is defective. If they were smart, they'd pour significant resources into a national PREMPTIVE TESTING drive.

Alas, they are not smart.

It really doesn't matter. There are three options:

More vaccines

Three week lockdown

Both

Non of those options are under consideration.

Take your Sinovac and shut up   /s

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Up, up and away. A hardy congrats to the PM on showing the world just how good Thailand is at balancing the economy and Sars-Cov-2 spread. "Some risk must be taken". 14,800 community infections and 146 deaths in 3 days and well over 20,000 infections and over 200 deaths for this week. Some risk indeed.

Not trying to defend a con artist, but I think he was referring to the October tourism opening. At least there is a hint of a plan. 

In regard to the current situation, there is no plan. And nobody knows what the agenda is. 

If he still had 5% of his  credibility (amongst his remaining super conservative supporters) left a few months ago, he has spent it all. He is now the zero man. Possibly less than zero. 

2 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I certainly would. Despite the massaging of the figures, Phuket is set to have one one of the highest per capita vaccination rates on the planet. Entry is rigorously controlled.  Beaches are quiet.  Hotels are cheap. Social-distancing is easy. I'd prefer that they'd used exclusively AstraZeneca, but, even so,   if I were stuck in the UK now, I'd jump at the chance to go to Phuket.

10000b min in Covid testing expenses.

Upon entry, test positive and go to hospital jail. Enjoy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I certainly would. Despite the massaging of the figures, Phuket is set to have one one of the highest per capita vaccination rates on the planet. Entry is rigorously controlled.  Beaches are quiet.  Hotels are cheap. Social-distancing is easy. I'd prefer that they'd used exclusively AstraZeneca, but, even so,   if I were stuck in the UK now, I'd jump at the chance to go to Phuket.

Good luck, it is an informed choice. I am sure you will find a few others to enjoy your holiday with. Most others have common sense and can see just how dangerous it can all end up being.

I hope that you would have all the health insurance and documents that are required. Just in case.

I would like it to playing a game of Russian roulette.????

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Once again Thursday, the number of new cases going into the hospital/field hospital system (5,533) far outstripped the number of COVID patients being released (3,223).

That means today's numbers brought an increase in the hospitalized population of 2,310 additional new cases, boosting the total hospitalized/field hospital population to 52,052.

2021-07-01h.thumb.png.9c284074bb01ac8733584272db87ef94.png

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/4463305267021704

I'm sure it's been published elsewhere, but as you're the King of Covid stats, do you have the figure for the percentage of the 52,052 active cases who are in ICU or 'proper' hospital, as opposed to those in field hospital, who are presumably asymptomatic? 

1 minute ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Right now, it's a dangerous world.  At this moment in time,  I can't think of that many places I'd rather be than Phuket.

Once again good luck.  I am in Xieman, lovely place. Phuket has never been my 'cup of tea' but each to their own. Thailand is the place i called home but currently it is in a mess.

I would rather be in many other places taking my chances than what is happening in Thailand. Yes it is a dangerous world. But reducing the potential risk is just common sense.

At least where I am most people have been vaccinated, they don't have a COVID pandemic like Thailand and a  much more competent government with regards to the pandemic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

You need to ask?

actually even the authorities confirmed two delta cases in Phuket from the Madras school cluster which became apparent a few days ago.

What?  The Indian (sorry Delta) variant found at the Madras School?  Surely not!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as Thailand said it would import nearly four million doses of Moderna's mRNA coronavirus vaccine towards the end of this year and a further one million in early 2022, for use by private hospitals

June and the infection rates have showed an upward trend, the Sinovac vaccine shows little efficacy against the new variants, especially with only one jab.

End of the year before any good stuff gets here..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Hope that we can get delta numbers over next few weeks.

That would be the Kero thrown onto the fire

Just wait a couple of weeks, around Mid July when infections of the Delta type start showing around the country due to the mass migration from Bangkok internment camps.

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"An Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi was the first to land at Phuket Airport at 11.10am, under the “sandbox” reopening project, which begins today (July 1). It landed later than its scheduled arrival of 10.20am, with 25 foreign arrivals on board."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158116227837050

So the passenger occupancy rate on that flight, without specifying the type of aircraft, would have been maybe 5-10%???

"The first batch of tourists arrive at Phuket International Airport today, the first day of the Phuket Sandbox. Four flights are coming in today: one each from the UAE, Qatar, Israel, and Singapore. Incoming planes were doused with water."

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/4463471180338446

Not sure if the water dousing of the planes is to celebrate their arrival, or an effort to wash off any germs that might have traveled along for the ride??? The Khaosod report doesn't say!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got back from Mission hospital in Phuket (had to take my son for an XRay. All very quiet. I enquired about registering for the Moderna vaccine but they know nothing about it. Big sign board outside - PCR tests 3200 baht, Antigen 800 baht.

35 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Sure, it depends on whereabouts in Thailand you want to go.  I'm in BKK and I'm heading to Phuket. I'm just deciding whether to wait another 12 days until my vaccine has fully kicked in, or get a PCR test and go now.

Vaccinated once with AZ or twice with the Sinovac Gel.....

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Only if you don't test positive for COVID, or it is off to a field hospital for you with a squat toilet and a winnie the pooh bedding set for company, at your own expense, of course.

At least it will be a holiday you'll never, ever forget. 

Being fully vaccinated, having had a negative test less than 72 hours before traveling and being on an island where most of the population is vaccinated, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to test positive.  If that did somehow happen, your mandatory insurance would cover the treatment. It's a risk I'd be prepared to take, but to each his own.

• Like 2

"Songkhla's provincial communicable disease committee has announced a night-time curfew, effective from Wednesday night until July 29, after a surge of COVID-19 cases across the province.

Provincial governor Jaruwat Kliangklao, as chairman of the committee, said the curfew is to confine residents to their homes between 10pm and 4am. Restaurants, markets and department stores are allowed to stay open until 9pm.

He said the spike in the number of COVID-19 cases is being attributed to face-to-face interactions and contact among at-risk groups, leading to the spread of the virus.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158116017982050

Today's province COVID cases report from Songkhla:

Screenshot_1.jpg.0c7803fccfe8621bb2cf09246c967eb4.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Only if you don't test positive for COVID, or it is off to a field hospital for you with a squat toilet and a winnie the pooh bedding set for company, at your own expense, of course.

At least it will be a holiday you'll never, ever forget. 

Hey, I happen to have a Winnie the pooh bedding set, don't bag on the Pooh, ok....or else I am gonna send Christopher Robin after you.....Tigger will be bouncing all over you too and slapping you with Eeyore's Tail....... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Today's government report also included an updated version of the vaccinations by province report, an earlier version of which I'd posted on several times here in recent days.

Here's the newest version of that report updated through June 30. I've added the province name translations to the best of my ability... hope I got them correct. The chart shows number of first dose and second dose shots given, and the percentage of the population covered by each by area:

Apart from Phutet and Samui, things remain pretty dire in terms of the small share of the population that's been fully vaccinated.

1595131081_VaccinationRatesbyProvince.jpg.1ded543c81113a15a785213327c993af.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/355549022730095

PS - the red circle highlights on the national percentages for 1st and 2nd doses given were done on the original document, and are not my additions/edits.

PPS - the updated chart's entry for Phuket clearly shows that the government has decided to reopen the province based on about 70% of its population having received only the first dose of the two-dose regimen, which especially for the Sinovac and AZ vaccines provides only marginal protection. The two-dose rate for Phuket thus far is only about 56%.

Thanks so much for this data-rich post, as well as your other data-rich posts.  I can't help but feel a tiny bit of optimism when I see from your graph that already nearly a third of the people in Bangkok proper have now received a first vaccine shot.  Granted, many (most?) will have received Sinovac, which is reported to be nearly useless until the second jab is received -- and even then it's weak against certain variants.  Still, this looks to be a slight sign that some progress is being made.

IF ONLY they would continue the vaccination program by coupling it with a serious lockdown and restrictions on inter-provincial travel...

Edited by Macrohistory
  • Like 1