Thailand reports new daily record of 57 coronavirus deaths; 5,533 new cases

webfact

2 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Being fully vaccinated, having had a negative test less than 72 hours before traveling and being on an island where most of the population is vaccinated, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to test positive.  If that did somehow happen, your mandatory insurance would cover the treatment. It's a risk I'd be prepared to take, but to each his own.

You can still be infected with COVID even if vaccinated, and you have just travelled on a flight with others, and are now mixing with unvaccinated locals in a country where the outbreak is rampant. And you'll be subject to mandatory testing too, so no escaping it, no hiding in the hotel room and no disappearing until all your tests are complete. 

The Delta variant is the thing to worry about. 

I think the possibility of testing positive would be quite high. 

Far too much of a risk travelling to Thailand for the moment IMO so we'll just have to disagree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I certainly would. Despite the massaging of the figures, Phuket is set to have one one of the highest per capita vaccination rates on the planet. Entry is rigorously controlled.  Beaches are quiet.  Hotels are cheap. Social-distancing is easy. I'd prefer that they'd used exclusively AstraZeneca, but, even so,   if I were stuck in the UK now, I'd jump at the chance to go to Phuket.

I personally think you are missing the point. The only vaccination that really gives you protection is your own. If you have that, you’re pretty safe anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

Question about covid. I see the numbers are bad and it is not good but my question is How many people died from the flu( Not Covid)  in Thailand in the last week or has Thailand become like the rest of the world and there is no more flu I actually had the flu in January and I tell u what it bloody nearly killed me It was bad but it was not covid because i got tested

What's your point? 

If I told you 100 or 1000 or 10 people died of the flu in Thailand in the last week, so what? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I personally think you are missing the point. The only vaccination that really gives you protection is your own. If you have that, you’re pretty safe anywhere.

I agree. And if you're in a place where the great majority is also vaccinated, that reduces even further the small possiblity of contracting the disease after being vaccinated. It also means that the it is much easier for them to lift the covid-related restrictions. 

11 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

Question about covid. I see the numbers are bad and it is not good but my question is How many people died from the flu( Not Covid)  in Thailand in the last week or has Thailand become like the rest of the world and there is no more flu I actually had the flu in January and I tell u what it bloody nearly killed me It was bad but it was not covid because i got tested

Was it fast onset and did you quickly get a high fever? Did it drain all your energy?

Those were common symptoms of the H1N12009 flu that still comes around. I had it in 2018.

1 minute ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I agree. And if you're in a place where the great majority is also vaccinated, that reduces even further the small possiblity of contracting the disease after being vaccinated. It also means that the it is much easier for them to lift the covid-related restrictions. 

Well, I wouldn’t say the great majority here are vaccinated.

About 56% have had two doses, so maybe a slight majority, although even that is not beyond a doubt given that the total population is higher than the people actually registered here.

there are other aspects though, the potential for catching the virus remains an issue, just hospital scale symptoms are unlikely. But being tested here, and you WILL be tested, and being found positive, has ramifications.

so health wise, I don’t think there is so much of an issue, but in terms of enjoying a holiday, there are some negatives to think about that other destinations perhaps don’t have.

50 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

being on an island where most of the population is vaccinated,

Only about 56% of the population on Phuket has been FULLY vaccinated. Another 14% or so have only received their first shot of Sinovac or AZ, which doesn't provide much protection. And the remainder haven't been vaccinated at all.

IMO, it's not quite as safe an environment as you post above wants to believe.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Only about 50% of the population on Phuket has been FULLY vaccinated. Another 20% or so have only received their first shot of Sinovac or AZ, which doesn't provide much protection. And the remainder haven't been vaccinated at all.

IMO, it's not quite as safe an environment as you post above wants to believe.

Fair enough, but compared to most places, it's pretty good. Also, it's a relatively small population with a low infection rate and a very high priority. They're continuing to vaccinate and tightly controlling entry.  For me, it compares very well to the vast majority of alternatives, but everyone has their own circumstances and priorities. 

Edited by Exploring Thailand

56 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

Of course it did, for the reasons you stated at the end of your post. It’s pure logic 

Which brings me back to my original point to Brewster: how can anyone possibly refute that dining at a restaurant helps spread this?  In addition to it just being rational thinking, there’s been studies done that show just how dangerous it is

And yet the “keep everything open” crowd STILL somehow exists 

Yes, close contact spreads the virus. So stop all close contact.  I don't see restaurants as being much worse than people being packed together on the BTS or a bus, or while shopping at the market.  What would be the acceptable number for you to open things up? 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Toddler sparks Covid cluster in Khon Kaen nursery

"A community centre for children in Khon Kaen’s Srisuk subdistrict became a new cluster for Covid-19 on Thursday after 42 people, including 34 youngsters, tested positive.

The cluster was sparked by a two-year-old who had been infected by her mother. The youngster’s mum works in Chonburi and had come over for a week. She also infected her parents, who live in the same house.

So far, 10 children and two teachers have been transferred to Srinagarind Hospital for treatment, while another 24 children and six teachers have been sent to Khon Kaen Hospital."

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002726

So a Chonburi infection has spread to Khon Kaen, and who knows where else.  Wonder what the mothers occupation in Chonburi is and whether they have tracked and traced backwards to see how many others she had contact with or where she may have been infected.  If it is the Delta variant, then it is very transmissible and does not take much of a visit to infect someone from the most recent studies coming out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Toddler sparks Covid cluster in Khon Kaen nursery

"A community centre for children in Khon Kaen’s Srisuk subdistrict became a new cluster for Covid-19 on Thursday after 42 people, including 34 youngsters, tested positive.

The cluster was sparked by a two-year-old who had been infected by her mother. The youngster’s mum works in Chonburi and had come over for a week. She also infected her parents, who live in the same house.

So far, 10 children and two teachers have been transferred to Srinagarind Hospital for treatment, while another 24 children and six teachers have been sent to Khon Kaen Hospital."

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002726

Its not going to be long before the current epicenter of Bangkok will be outdone by new and more numerous major outbreaks in some Provinces.

Especially as most of the outer Provinces's have had minimal vaccination coverage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"An Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi was the first to land at Phuket Airport at 11.10am, under the “sandbox” reopening project, which begins today (July 1). It landed later than its scheduled arrival of 10.20am, with 25 foreign arrivals on board."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158116227837050

So the passenger occupancy rate on that flight, without specifying the type of aircraft, would have been maybe 5-10%???

Stop worrying another 99975 are on the way ????

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ozz1 said:

its all under control remember nothing to see here im going to phuket and welcome all the arrivals in the litter box 

All organized they said as they shut down BKK and every one left for the provinces,  spreading the virus all over the country . Suggestion when you shut down that's what it means, shut down not spread around. Try a road block or two. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The repeat of the Songkran debacle and yet this government seems to care more right now about tourism and not ensuring they are vaccinating the elderly and medically necessary people in the provinces...just sad.

I believe they had a pertinent graphic on that today showing the changes in the numbers of cases in the various 71 non-BKK region provinces in recent days, as follows:

2021-07-01g.jpg.2dafc65671c4001f56ad7c6a2c93ba4c.jpg

If I understand the TH titles correctly, it's showing the numbers of provinces with each category of case numbers since June 18... And as the bottom green portion shows, the number of those provinces with no daily cases went from 20 on June 18 down to just 4 today.

The top dark tan section shows the growth in the number of non BKK region provinces with 20 or more daily cases from 11 on June 18 to 26 provinces as of today.

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/355548016063529/?type=3

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Seemingly a pretty good case study against the notion Thai authorities have been mulling lately of expanding home quarantine for asymptomatic cases.

6 minutes ago, chainarong said:

All organized they said as they shut down BKK and every one left for the provinces,  spreading the virus all over the country . Suggestion when you shut down that's what it means, shut down not spread around. Try a road block or two. 

They've done more than that - there are now 6 road blocks set up for roads out of Bangkok.  

roadblocks.jpg

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

According to that chart an average of approx 224k vaccinations have been done each day since 7th June. At that rate, it will take 402 days until the target of 100 million doses have been delivered.

and yet, instead of focusing on this very serious issue, the government chooses to spend its time talking about opening the whole country to tourists in 120 days.

quite honestly, words fail me. 

That is even assuming the numbers are true.

• Like 1

Man faces charges in Buriram for failing to report for COVID-19 screening

Health officials, in Thailand’s northeastern province of Buriram, have filed charges against a man, who recently returned to his home in the province from Bangkok and refused to report to the authorities as legally required.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/first-thai-man-charged-in-buriram-for-failing-to-report-for-covid-19-screening/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Hang on a minute, in the words of John McEnroe “you cannot be serious ?”

Posting from the country which unleashed this godawful pandemic on the rest of the world, at least partly due to their ineptitude and cover up of the initial stages, gloating that China itself doesn’t have a pandemic and even praising the CCP as a “competent government”.

I am speechless….

I read his post as pure sarcasm, but then I am mentally anguished based upon the rose color spectacles I have had to wear in order to view the unleashing of the vaccine rollout here in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1