Update on Thailand's vaccination programme and our response

I got about halfway through and got bored.

I don't want or expect any help from the UK gov. I made the choice to leave the UK so as far as I'm concerned I'm on my own.

FYI I have a CHUM who lives in Khon kaen and yesterday and today at a big conference centre they had walk in vaccines for any expat over 60, incl of booking the second jab. Don't know what vaccine is it, but probably the kitchen sink one. So there is stuff happening to help expats.

Today July 2nd, i received sms that my appointment today  is cancelled until further notice . We just want to be vaccinated. A few of my friends also received similar sms and their appointment is later in July . It looks like we have an issue of setting appointments to find out the whole month schedule is scrapped in chiang Mai . What are we to do ? Help 

13 hours ago, kennw said:

With respect, surely your role is to represent the people who elect HMG no matter where they are. And, if it appears that there is discrimination of your citizens legally residing here in their access to vaccines during a pandemic, should you not take appropriate steps. Currently the Thai program prioritizes aged Thais with medical conditions, this is not available to a similarly afflicted non Thai, discrimination based on race to put it bluntly. As a diplomat surely this is something that should be raised with the Thai govt and their response should be made publicly available to so that British citizens can take this into consideration when they consider booking holidays or retirement options 

I think you make some fair points though I disagree the discriminatory (in practice) Thai vaccination rollout is of any relevance to prospective retirees or tourists.

As to the Consul's letter, I appreciate the reasoned response to many members concerns.The British government is not going to provide vaccinations to expatriates here and it seems pointless to keep on demanding this.I hope nobody will mind me noting the letter is somewhat tin eared in places and while sometimes annoyingly patronizing, overall it addresses the issues reasonably well.

The time to assess the empathy, efficiency, sense of urgency and imagination of our government on this issue can come later.The reality is that many expats are being vaccinated.What's needed now is a concerted effort to help those in vulnerable categories who have not been able to secure appointments.We can help each other here by for example referring such people to the BCCT initiative. We do not need any more reminders of how the Ambassador has received high level of assurances of equal treatment.We need hard intensive work in concert with other countries to achieve practical solutions to the problem.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ehs818 said:

France has announced that French citizens living in Thailand WILL get a vaccination shot via their embassy. Why is it that they can do so and the other Western countries, particularly those that tax their citizens who live overseas, continue to do nothing. Take take take and no help for us!

Not only promised.. Not only the Fr Nationals living in Th. Any person of Fr. Nationality, present in Th., residing or not, is entitled to free vaccination. Started on 30/06/2021 in all Local Bangkok Hospitals.  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:40 PM, Johnny Mac said:

FYI I have a CHUM who lives in Khon kaen and yesterday and today at a big conference centre they had walk in vaccines for any expat over 60, incl of booking the second jab. Don't know what vaccine is it, but probably the kitchen sink one. So there is stuff happening to help expats.

In KK but nothing in Pattaya

Might sound stupid cannot vaccines that require no special transport just be purchased or made available to purchase online i and be sent here via DHL or equivalent

Its really time to sort it out ourselves because its looking like no one will / can /or is interested

18 hours ago, poohy said:

Might sound stupid cannot vaccines that require no special transport just be purchased or made available to purchase online i and be sent here via DHL or equivalent

Its really time to sort it out ourselves because its looking like no one will / can /or is interested

I searched on Lazada, but they don't seem to have any.

Seriously, where do you think a private individual could buy a vaccine? In Thailand the supply is entirely controlled by the Government, and I don't know of any wholesalers anywhere. Even if you found a (genuine) supplier abroad, your DHL package wouldn't get any further than Customs, because a special licence is required to import any medical equipment into Thailand.

17 hours ago, thonglorjimmy said:

image.jpeg.446c866560915e03f4bd8245a24cdbf1.jpeg

After the French, now the Swiss, we'll all be up next by the end of the year...On a serious note it would only be beneficiary to the Th Government to allow all Embassies to take care of their own Nationals.....

18 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

On a serious note it would only be beneficiary to the Th Government to allow all Embassies to take care of their own Nationals

I'm not aware of the Thai government's stopping them.  It's the Embassies and their masters in the home countries that are utterly indifferent to the fate of their overseas citizens.

Edited by Oxx
  • Like 1