Update on Thailand's vaccination programme and our response

I haven't posted lately, due to the fact that I have obtained my first vaccination, courtesy of the US Govt. I had a Pfizer vaccination at MedPark Hospital on Friday last, and my second jab is due after three weeks. Very grateful to the US Govt for donating the vaccine, and for insisting that some of it is used for ex-pats of any nationality. I have to wonder why the British Govt couldn't have done the same. Any response, Consular Section ?

On 7/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, yang123 said:

To which FCDO department is the embassy reporting the covid/vaccination situation here?

To which FCDO minister is that department reporting?  

In the absence of a response to this 17 July post, is there any course of action left open beyond submission of a FOIA request?  

On 8/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, JustinCredible said:

Hi Consular Team,

I do not have a question, but a "rare" THANK YOU.

After trying for many weeks, if not months, to get registered for vaccination in Khon Kaen, your newsletter started to show a link for Bangkok Hospital, Khon Kaen.  Initially the link was not active for making reservations, but I kept trying and about 10 days ago was successful in getting registered.  I must admit that I was getting concerned as I am 71 years of age and I am being treated for Two of the "deadly seven" that their list.

Anyway, after waiting for the 10 days I got an email from Bangkok Hospital with an appointment for an AstraZeneca jab this coming Saturday, 21st August.

WIthout your newsletter and that link I would still be trying..  Many thanks for your efforts in keeping us informed.

Next up: let's see if they can influence Thai vendors to make real Mushy Peas...hope springs eternal

On 8/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, yang123 said:

In the absence of a response to this 17 July post, is there any course of action left open beyond submission of a FOIA request?  

Sorry about the delay responding to this one. We are just checking how much detail we can include in an answer, as it's a complex picture, with several departments within FCDO and also other ministries involved in gathering data from Posts. We will get back to you as soon as possible, so hold on the FOI if you can. 

On 8/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, tonray said:

Next up: let's see if they can influence Thai vendors to make real Mushy Peas...hope springs eternal

On 8/16/2021 at 5:49 PM, Tony M said:

I haven't posted lately, due to the fact that I have obtained my first vaccination, courtesy of the US Govt. I had a Pfizer vaccination at MedPark Hospital on Friday last, and my second jab is due after three weeks. Very grateful to the US Govt for donating the vaccine, and for insisting that some of it is used for ex-pats of any nationality. I have to wonder why the British Govt couldn't have done the same. Any response, Consular Section ?

Yes. The UK government also donated vaccines. We did so to the national programme, where our donation will help vulnerable people of all nationalities in Thailand get vaccinated.  

26 minutes ago, British Consular Team said:

Yes. The UK government also donated vaccines. We did so to the national programme, where our donation will help vulnerable people of all nationalities in Thailand get vaccinated.  

How do you know that all nationalities will get vaccinated from your donation ?  Was that specified by the UK Govt ?  The US donation was for vulnerable categories, but with the proviso that a percentage went to vulnerable ex-pats.  You have intentionally, I believe, deflected the point of these criticisms, the point being that the British Govt apparently did nothing to specifically help Brits overseas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony M said:

the British Govt apparently did nothing to specifically help Brits overseas. 

...unlike the British Chamber of Commerce. I would be going to Pattaya tomorrow for a vaccination arranged by them if I hadn't already had my first dose at MedPark in Bangkok two weeks ago.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, Tony M said:

How do you know that all nationalities will get vaccinated from your donation ?  Was that specified by the UK Govt ?  The US donation was for vulnerable categories, but with the proviso that a percentage went to vulnerable ex-pats.  You have intentionally, I believe, deflected the point of these criticisms, the point being that the British Govt apparently did nothing to specifically help Brits overseas. 

Rather than specifying that a certain number be given to any specific group (including British Nationals), we believe vaccines should be distributed in a way which prioritises the most vulnerable - of all nationalities. We have consistently made this point in all our discussions with Thai authorities. This was also the case with the vaccine rollout in UK; the most vulnerable were vaccinated first. By doing this, we aim to help save as many lives as possible.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still collecting  Numbers .over last 5 months...now Seven in all but no reactions...any ideas ...Looks like I will be 73 before I get any appointments...Thanks...Boondocks of Chieng Mai.....

PS...just got yet another one...

Subject: 13 Digit 

Numbers...

Passport.Number.UK,...560755229.

Thai ID.Number.........6502301002432.

13 Digit Numbers..

You are confirmed for the COVID-19 Vaccine !

Your new 13 digit ID number (Identification No.)

On 8/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, yang123 said:

To which FCDO department is the embassy reporting the covid/vaccination situation here?

To which FCDO minister is that department reporting?  

Sorry for the delay on this. We report the Covid-19 and vaccination situation in Thailand to the Consular and Global Health and Covid-19 Directorates of the FCDO. The responsibilities of the Foreign Secretary and the FCDO Ministerial team can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers