10,000 cases per day by year’s end not out of the question, senior doctor says

webfact

18 minutes ago, bullseye66 said:

Vaccination and infection rates don't relate to each other. A vaccine protects the vaccinated person. It helps lower hospital admission and death. No bearing on infection rates. Look at the UK. 80 percent of the population vaccinated yet it's infection rates are around 25,000 a day. Deaths? A handful daily. Hospital admissions back to the average for time of year. If your whole covid virus reaction is going to be about infection rates you will never return to any kind of normality.

I was, just now, thinking and reading along the same lines. Here's an interesting article that supports your assertion.

Can COVID vaccines stop transmission?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Now a doctor at Siriraj Hospital say that a combination of unrestricted travel and the Delta variant of the virus could have the country facing 10,000 cases a day by year’s end.

Mr Prayut, is it still under control?

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I was, just now, thinking and reading along the same lines. Here's an interesting article that supports your assertion.

Can COVID vaccines stop transmission?

Most accept that assertion that vaccinated people can still be infected and transmit covid-19 but lessen the possibility of hospitalisation. Vaccinated people should still be on their guard and practised the usual precautions. With new variants surfacing, vaccines and therapeutics will have to keep on improving its effectiveness. The new normal will perhaps be like treating covid-19 as endemic when vaccination targets are reached.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Excel said:

Frankly I am surprised he was suggesting 10,000 cases per day by years end. Given the transmissibility of the Delta strain, then as witnessed in India, UK etc I would have thought 10,000 cases per day by end of September would be nearer the mark. However we will never know the true numbers given the extent and organised corrupt reporting mechanisms put in place by this appalling administration.

The UK passed the 6000/day on June 8th

The UK passed the 10000/day on June 17th

Somewhat less than the c180 days being predicted.

• Like 2

If we can just get it up to  10 million cases a day ................. the whole country will have immunity within one week !!!!!!!

then everyone can get back to living life ,  showing their smiles,  and talking about the changes they are going to make to their lifestyles.  

OK..... rumak is going back to the  "do you believe in God "  topic.    Well,  what would he say ?

Maybe ..  "RUMAK,  leadeth the children down to the vaccination centers.   God has run out "

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Goldpanner said:

The problem is many who have Covid just dont seek treatment. Both my wife and I had it and just stayed at home. It was damned hard but I just didnt want to be messed around in Hospital and if I died I wanted it to be at home.

100% agree my friend as I am sure do many others 

I actually think I have already had it from early last year but not 100% certain, I travelled to Bangkok Feb 2020 and used all the public transort etc - a week later covid emerged and Bangkok recored the first infection outside China 

we are obvious dealing with a very different beast these last weeks and unless Thailand gets its head out of its ### things are going to get extreme here - we all know it, it might even be too late

Be safe 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Dead is dead but it's not the most important factor. Morbidities where Covid lodges in the body & long-haul Covid are what affects the living.

somehow in thailand there is not much long term covid, and not so many deaths in comparison to scale of infection and in comparison to many other countries.

possibly something to do with genetics or some other, unknown factors (like tuberculosis and many other vaccinations in the childhood, which were abandoned in the west long ago)

1 hour ago, bullseye66 said:

Vaccination and infection rates don't relate to each other. A vaccine protects the vaccinated person. It helps lower hospital admission and death. No bearing on infection rates. Look at the UK. 80 percent of the population vaccinated yet it's infection rates are around 25,000 a day. Deaths? A handful daily. Hospital admissions back to the average for time of year. If your whole covid virus reaction is going to be about infection rates you will never return to any kind of normality.

the vaccines do give *some* lowered chance of transmission actually. But i agree with you, it shouldn't be about infection rates for countries who have a large portion of the adult population vaccinated

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

The UK passed the 6000/day on June 8th

The UK passed the 10000/day on June 17th

Somewhat less than the c180 days being predicted.

To give even more perspective on this, the UK on the 1st June had 3099 cases, and by 1st July 27566 cases. Over 80% of UK adults have been vaccinated with either Pfizer or AZ, and well over 90% of new cases are the Delta variant.

If numbers were to escalate at a similar rate here, Thailand would hit 50000 a day by month end. 

Edited by lamyai3

49 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

We all had to wear mandatory masks right?

Nope! In my 'brave new world', get rid of the masks and spread this virus around as quickly as we can. That way we march bravely forward toward herd immunity.

Warn the the old and vulnerable of course, protect them and vaccinate them as soon as we can. But enough is enough!

We have cowardly and naïvely hidden behind the elusive parapets of 'lock downs' and 'social distancing' for far too long. It's time to get back to 'old normal'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

from the recent data looks like 1000 new cases per week, now hoovering just above 6k.

So 10k would be in a less than a month.

What is most important, how many people die, how well health service is prepared for that many patients

covid insurance guaranteed, bed/ oxygen, not included.

What about adjusting this headline from, "10,000 cases per day by year’s end not out of the question, senior doctor says, to

"80% of the population will be vaccinated by year's end"? Arising from a real, dedicated, detailed and workable plan, in its turn arising from quality information about adequate supplies of vaccine arriving in the country and getting it out to all the Provinces with due respect and recognition of the current and ongoing crisis.

No more speculation; we want to hear what we need to hear - and it must have credibility!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes because that’s how it works, the number of cases plateaus at 10,000 and holds steady there…

(sarcasm)

The number of cases only plateaus if the number of tests plateaus. I thought that would have been obvious by now or do you need another year and a half?

5 minutes ago, teacherofwoe said:

The number of cases only plateaus if the number of tests plateaus. I thought that would have been obvious by now or do you need another year and a half?

Your post implied it would take 19 years to infect whole population at 10,000 cases per day.

That in itself implies that the infection rate will remain at this number. 

Did you mean something else because if you did your post was not clear at all. 

9 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Another reason to open up soon and learn to live with cases. 

Spot on , we are well on way to herd , no serious health issues ..

CASES QUITE SIMPLY DONT MATTER ..

We need to move on , get on with life ,get fully open , but yeah sure get the Vax rates up is a good logical idea .

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Your post implied it would take 19 years to infect whole population at 10,000 cases per day.

That in itself implies that the infection rate will remain at this number. 

Did you mean something else because if you did your post was not clear at all. 

The number of test determines the number of cases. Zero tests will result in zero cases. The number of cases determines the number of deaths. Zero cases will result in zero deaths. Search for all excess mortality globally for the last year and a half and apply that to the number of tests and cases. Tests = cases = deaths.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Nope! In my 'brave new world', get rid of the masks and spread this virus around as quickly as we can. That way we march bravely forward toward herd immunity.

Warn the the old and vulnerable of course, protect them and vaccinate them as soon as we can. But enough is enough!

We have cowardly and naïvely hidden behind the elusive parapets of 'lock downs' and 'social distancing' for far too long. It's time to get back to 'old normal'. 

Exactly ..

And from day 1 , all knew ..

LOCKDOWNS DONT WORK , they actually increase the virility of strains .

Get Vax rates as right as you can , open the gates to those who wish , and just let it GO ,

Time is well past , get on with life .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1