International Fraud - how to proceed

Pete70

5 minutes ago, wprime said:

I might be misunderstanding this, but it sounds like you invested in something with your friend, and all the money was lost because of a scammer who failed to deliver some product.

What this will come down to is how would you be rewarded from this investment? Were you entitled to a share of the profits or were you offered fixed payments and reimbursement of your initial investment after a specific date?

If the former, then you have a claim against the scammer, you have no claim against your friend. The fact that he made the decision to purchase from the scammer is only relevant if he acted against your agreement or if he acted negligently which would be difficult to prove even if it was true. Essentially, you invested in something that failed, you have no recourse against your friend just because he invested in it as well and you demanding he pay you for your losses when he himself suffered the same losses is a real dick move.

If the latter, then you do have a claim against your friend.

It's the former. The agreement was to purchase a product we looked at *on platform*. Not directly via another, undisclosed contact, and then losing it all before even getting started, which is what ended up happening. Or so he claims. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Just now, Pete70 said:

It's the former. The agreement was to purchase a product we looked at *on platform*. Not directly via another, undisclosed contact, and then losing it all before even getting started, which is what ended up happening. Or so he claims. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Think of it this way:

- you see a product you like on Amazon, a platform that offers you guarantees and a certain level of safety to protect your purchase

- due to the high cost, you decide to split it with a friend

- your friend then buys another product elsewhere and gets scammed

Everyone seems to say to pursue this in Vietnam. But why not England?

The legal system is far more reliable.

He is English, and so is his Passport.

The funds were transferred to a bank account in England.

Is that not enough for the matter to be considered English?

• Haha 1

Friends and money often are uneasy bedfellows!

You are perhaps right to be somewhat concerned at the silence, but it also seems that you are letting emotion get in the way over a modest sum of money.

Given your past, and lengthy, friendship with Adrian, who was once a "friend in need" to the tune of GBP 5000.00, it would appear that his present "ghosting" of you over a relatively small amount of GBP 9000.00, is totally out of character.

Adrian seems to have been something of a "brick" in your long relationship, and it is hard to believe that this element of his character has suddenly gone out the window.

I agree with others who believe that he may have made a genuine error of judgement. He is possibly too embarrassed, or ashamed, to admit this to you at the present time. He may also be trying to rectify the situation, and recover the missing funds, before he man's up to you.

There is nothing wrong, meanwhile, with laying a charge with the British police, to at least get the matter on record, if you truly believe it is a case of fraud or theft.

Attorneys should be a last resort, as, given the rather loose agreement you had with Adrian, as it is unlikely you have a solid foundation to recover your lost "investment" through the courts, and it may end up costing you an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

Do you have a written legal agreement regarding the investment amount, the manner of investment, and when you transferred the funds, was it legally binding that this what the transfer of funds was for?

Otherwise either he or someone else has scammed you, and your position is precarious to say the least.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pete70 said:

June 1st when I kept pressuring for a straight answer he told me "I’ll find the guy , you can have your money back , until then take your <deleted>ty attitude and bossy manner and <deleted> off. " and proceeded to block me on Facebook (our main method of communication).

- It has now been a month, and I'm still blocked, he hasn't responded to emails nor attempts at making contact by others. Attempts to discuss it with his daughter have also resulted in silence.

Looks like a classical rip-off to me ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've slowly paid that back over time and it was hassle-free.

Perhaps it was hassle free for you but perhaps your friend did not see it quite the same? anyways potentially some motive for doing you over like this.

The traded item (crypto miners) has no relevance to the case, you sent money to a friend for a joint purchase and it never went through. The chances of you getting your money back are very very low.

I would forget about it and move on, otherwise its goiung to sit with you for a while and potentially even cost you more money.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

June 1st when I kept pressuring for a straight answer he told me "I’ll find the guy , you can have your money back , until then take your <deleted>ty attitude and bossy manner and <deleted> off. " and proceeded to block me on Facebook (our main method of communication).

- It has now been a month, and I'm still blocked, he hasn't responded to emails nor attempts at making contact by others. Attempts to discuss it with his daughter have also resulted in silence.

Expand  

Looks like a classical rip-off to me ...

It looks just as much like he's been told that he will get his money back in due course...

"he told me "I’ll find the guy , you can have your money back...".

Perhaps the OP's "<deleted>ty attitude and bossy manner" <deleted> off his partner in Vietnam who may also have been screwed?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

This seems to be a clear-cut case of him trying to ghost me and minimizing his losses.

It seems to be a clear cut case of your voluntarily sending your best friend $12,500 without a contract.   It was only 34 days ago that he told you that he'll get you your money back so how has he committed an "international fraud"?

Based on what you posted, no offence has been committed in England or Thailand so there's no point in trying to involve those authorities, they won't be interested, and maybe no offence has been committed in Vietnam either.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It seems to be a clear cut case of your voluntarily sending your best friend $12,500 without a contract.   It was only 34 days ago that he told you that he'll get you your money back so how has he committed an "international fraud"?

34 days since he actively blocked me. How does that put his words into perspective that I'll get my money bacK?

4 minutes ago, Pete70 said:
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

34 days since he actively blocked me. How does that put his words into perspective that I'll get my money bacK?

Just 34 days ago he told you that when he finds the person he sent the his and your money to you'll get your money back, that's how.    

2 hours ago, Pete70 said:

Taking him to court in the UK might be a better option, but this will be a small claim case, could be annoying enough for him to respond to you, but doubt the court will have a clear cut judgement on that one

he might be stressed enough by the situation of losing money too, that he needs to focus on "finding the guy"

or it was an elaborate scam to get you funding for maintaining his life style in Vietnam. 

IBM has been "cutting" a lot of expats overseas and IT engineers in the last few months

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just 34 days ago he told you that when he finds the person he sent the his and your money to you'll get your money back, that's how.    

If that was believable - what is the reason for refusing to communicate?

If there are good intentions, there is no reason not to communicate. The active blocking of all forms of communication clearly tells me he wants to forget about me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrandPapillon said:

Taking him to court in the UK might be a better option, but this will be a small claim case, could be annoying enough for him to respond to you, but doubt the court will have a clear cut judgement on that one

he might be stressed enough by the situation of losing money too, that he needs to focus on "finding the guy"

or it was an elaborate scam to get you funding for maintaining his life style in Vietnam. 

IBM has been "cutting" a lot of expats overseas and IT engineers in the last few months

Let me try and reach his boss at IBM. I have his email address.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pete70 said:

No, it's not enough.   What offence was committed in England?   None, apparently.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's not enough.   What offence was committed in England?   None, apparently.   

could be enough for small court, the "offence" committed is at the discretion of the court, that's why we have small courts 

• Like 1