Phuket Sandbox drama: Tourist flees hotel to find Thai wife

webfact

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ah yes, quality tourists.....got it, thank you.

I have a 92 year old friend who still harbours hope of returning to LOS. if you take that dream away from these guys they are finished.

Edited by Kinok Powell
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Another man, aged 83, was staying at a hotel in Thalang and went out without his phone or passport, just with his wallet.

For the good times..????

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

Everything that governments have done and said have convinced me that this covid virus is a clever little beggar Yeah, right!) It can tell the time, it knows whether you are standing or sitting, it can judge distance. it loves beaches and now it appears that it also infects the family of a hotel escapee ( who has successfully navigated every medical and financial hoop the Thai government chose to put in front of him) and you have the sauce to say he doesn't care about restrictions!...but not during the day, only when the escape has been confirmed, presemably at curfew time, whenever that is.

This regulation that you have to stay in a selected hotel only at night - great for these hotels... 

1 hour ago, Kinok Powell said:

I have a 92 year old friend who still harbours hope of returning to LOS. if you take that dream away from these guys they are finished.

As long as he can still take care of his own, why not !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The thought of jumping through hoops for your 2 week vacation, that's all most get from the US, and then subjecting yourself to all of the mandatory PCR tests, and tracking is a big turn off for many. 

Clearly the Phuket Sandbox is not aimed to get any tourists from the USA (who only have 2 week vacations).  Some other places in the world 6-weeks vacation/year is typical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

reminds me when I see the trucks with cages of soi dogs or the hogs headed to slaughterhouse..

protip--do NOT get behind a hog truck on your motobike aka downwind.......life lesson # 294059

Where do you see them given that there is no dog slaughter in Thailand? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I'm in the sandbox now. The reality is that you only need to stay in your room until after your first test comes back (mine took 10 hours). After that you are free to come and go as you'd like. You must have your QR code scanned once a day at the hotel and leave your tracking app turned on. But you don't really have to sleep in the hotel bed each night. 

The sandbox folks, who (mostly) had Western vaccines, a PCR test before the flight, another test when landing, and then a 3rd and 4th test, are at much less of a risk to have or pass on Covid that the locals living in Phuket. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

They obviously have different regulations for different locations. In Koh Samui you are not allowed to leave the hotel the first 3 days. 

•   Day 1-3: Can leave the hotel room for designated areas in the hotel only;

•   Day 4-7: Can travel within designated routes and on tour programmes on Ko Samui only;

•   Day 8-14: Can travel within Ko Samui, Ko Phangan and Ko Tao;

•   Day 15: If the last test on Day 12-13 is negative, can go anywhere in Thailand.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/06/an-extensive-faq-for-foreign-tourists-who-want-to-visit-koh-samui-koh-tao-or-koh-phangan-the-samui-plus-program-starting-from-later-this-month/

" Day 8-14: Can travel within Ko Samui, Ko Phangan and Ko Tao;

•   Day 15: If still alive after the Ko Tao visit, he can buy many lottery tickets and run home."

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Clearly the Phuket Sandbox is not aimed to get any tourists from the USA (who only have 2 week vacations).  Some other places in the world 6-weeks vacation/year is typical.

That must be very nice to be able to take 6 weeks at a crack.  Most jobs in the US give 8 hours a month of vacation that you can accumulate, that equates to 12 days a year plus a few holidays thrown in so that a person has just over 2 weeks a year that they can take as a paid vacation.  Over time that does grow, and by the time you have 20 plus years with a company you may accumulate up to 6 weeks a year.  Just because you accumulate the time does not mean you can take it all at once, except in the case of having plenty of staff to backfill and cover your absence.  Teachers on the other hand have an 8 to 10 week summer break, but it is unpaid time off and many will work a second job during that time to help make ends meet.  The adds for the Phuket Sandbox have been on television in the US as well as in the newspapers, so telling me it is not aimed to get any tourists from the USA  (who only have 2 week vacations) as you said is not correct.  A few years ago I knew plenty of folks who would come to Thailand for 2 weeks and travel for a week in Phuket, a few days in Bangkok and then hit Chaing Mai before flying back to the US.  If memory serves me correct one of the first articles on the sandbox as it was being discussed was that a group of Americans were booked and coming.

The grand re-opening? Just 20 American tourists to arrive in Phuket on July 9 - Page 3 - Phuket News - ASEAN NOW formerly Thai Visa Forum

It was revealed that the first arrivals as part of the much vaunted Phuket Sandbox tourism reopening scheme in the southern province would include people from the USA.

However, it was hardly opening the floodgates - just 20 had booked to come on July 9th. 

And also CNN were coming. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

How about requiring them to stay in their hotel room and let out one hour a day for exercise? Put their food outside their door.

Much easier to keep track of them this way…

Seems like you have experience at this way of life .