Sandbox tourists stuck in quarantine ask to go home

webfact

As stupid as you may all think me, i have do some jobs to a shop the wife owns, i am putting it off in case there is an overnight ban on provincial travel, yet there are people traveling not knowing whats in store for them, serves them right comes to mind, or senseless thrill seekers in Phuket would fit the bill nicely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

here is an example of israeli arabs reaction for demand to get into quarantine hotel:

Lovely. That's about what I had in mind. I don't even blame them, I might be tempted to join in.

• Haha 1

Even if those 12-14 tourists escaped from Phuket, it would still be safer to hang out with them than to sit next to a local Thai or established expat, every one of which has been in close contact with Covid.  It's rampant in Thailand.  Unless you're sequestered alone in your basement, you can't help but be exposed to it.  Positive test rates (outside of Phuket) are running in the 10-20-50% range.  Testing in Phuket seems to be running less than 1% positive, but they're testing so few that, who really knows?

I'm not advocating they turn 'em loose without confirming they're negative.  Hopefully, they'll test these folks again to confirm, they'll test negative and be released to continue their holiday or fly home at their choice.

And it's still 15 people affected out of 2100+ arrivals.  Those are better odds than the 100% chance of being quarantined flying into BKK.  But it could derail the Sandbox if they don't handle it well.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Robs5ct said:

I sent emails to some 5* hotels asking some questions. One of the question was about refund. All answered that they will refund "unused" nights if you are admitted to hospital or go to a ALQ hotel. 

Agree. I am a sandboxer on day 7 and they are the terms and conditions I have. Further, had (if!) I ever needed to use it, my insurance would cover me for ALQ or hospitalisation even if asymptomatic. That is part of what the Covid insurance is for.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

But what if you have to go into ALQ only because you had contact with an COVID plus person. Mean yourself you not have covid, then the Insurance still would pay?

Almost certainly not unless a COVID specific policy that explicitly includes this (I don't know of any that do). Insurance only  covers you if you are infected.

Here's some new info for those promoting the  "SandBox "

Vaccinated people can transmit the delta variant—and 3 other things to know about the dominant Covid strain

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/vaccinated-people-can-transmit-the-delta-variant—and-3-other-things-to-know-about-the-dominant-covid-strain/ar-AALY0ZX?li=BBnb7Kz

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Almost certainly not unless a COVID specific policy that explicitly includes this (I don't know of any that do). Insurance only  covers you if you are infected.

As I recall, Sandbox tourists are required to have a $100,000 USD Covid specific policy.

Edit:  Just to be clear, I'm curious myself.  I've read that SHA+ hotels have to refund their unused nights if they get sent to ALQ, and I would hope that a mandatory Covid specific insurance policy would cover ALQ.  Seems like there'd also be a market for trip interruption insurance for the <1% of tourists that (so far) get sent to ALQ.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

As I recall, Sandbox tourists are required to have a $100,000 USD Covid specific policy.

Edit:  Just to be clear, I'm curious myself.  I've read that SHA+ hotels have to refund their unused nights if they get sent to ALQ, and I would hope that a mandatory Covid specific insurance policy would cover ALQ.  Seems like there'd also be a market for trip interruption insurance for the <1% of tourists that (so far) get sent to ALQ.

They are not required tio have a COVID specific policy. They are required tio have insurance that includes COVID.

For that matter I have nto seen any COVID specific policies that would cover being quarantined if uninfected.

The unused payment to SHA+hotel should cover at least part of the stay in ALQ. But depending in timing, maybe not all.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They are not required tio have a COVID specific policy. They are required tio have insurance that includes COVID.

For that matter I have nto seen any COVID specific policies that would cover being quarantined if uninfected.

The unused payment to SHA+hotel should cover at least part of the stay in ALQ. But depending in timing, maybe not all.

Good clarification...

The DC Embassy refers to it in a couple of different ways.  Health insurance with Covid 19 cover, and Covid 19 health insurance.

What a kick in the butt if you paid $500 for 90 days of insurance, and it didn't even cover ALQ if you're forced into quarantine...

Someone posted that AXA covers ALQ, but their FAQ section dances around "medical necessity" and I'm too lazy to do the chat thing.  Seems like the gub'ment telling you to do this or that would be considered a medical necessity.

I'm curious to hear from someone that actually goes through the debacle.  But I hope it's nobody I like...

.covid.jpg.29fed79557d79c80f09fa1254232ae88.jpg

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

When the rest of Thailand is testing positive at 20% and delta is already running rampant, vaccinated, tested (and tested again) tourists are the least risky people in the country.

Next time you go out, look around.  Now think about this... One out of every 5 people you interact with would test positive (if they could get a test).  Now figure the Sandbox statistics...  1 tourist out of 2100 tested positive.  That's 0.05%.

Who would you rather share a meal with?  Or more pragmatic, whose money spends safer?

So, shouldn't be long until the entire country has herd immunity!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

The optics of this aren't great.

What would have happened if there had been 100 passengers on that particular plane? Quarantine for the whole lot?

What would you suggest 50/50 ?

Of course they would all have to be quarantined.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1