Nine million register for Moderna at private hospitals - 3,300 baht is still a lot for Thai people

webfact

9pmSUN.jpg

Picture: INN

INN reported that the chief of the Thai Private Hospitals' Association told them that nine million people had registered so far for Moderna vaccine. 

They only expect to have 5 million jabs in the first batch. 

Chalerm Hanphanich put the huge interest down to the fact that the public believe the mRNA vaccine is a quality product and that the government rollout has been delayed so far. 

In further comments he told the media that he expects the peak of infections in Thailand to still be two weeks away saying this was now the "fourth wave".

Meanwhile media elsewhere in Thailand examined the price of the Moderna vaccine at private hospitals.

One outlet said 3,300 baht may not be much for some but compared to the price of many things and minimum wages it was a lot.

In most areas a worker would have to slave away for TEN days to get the cost of the two jabs.

They made price comparisons saying that 3,300 baht was enough, in Bangkok at least, for 115 liters of fuel, 16 visits to the cinema (if they were open), 357 bottles of water, 25 bottles of imported beer, 67 liters of milk or having internet for six months. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-10

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

57 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

9 million people registered, 5 million doses expected to arrive (god knows when).

Things are about to get interesting...

Can any member:

- Please share a list of the hospitals (nationwide, especially Chiang Mai) who are taking these registrations?

- And did the folks registering have to pay the fees on the spot?

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Don't know where some you are getting that all those who applied have paid. The Hospital that I use only required payment if the have the vaccine for you if you don't make the cut they tell you that and wait for future instructions if available. By the way the article doesn't say those who applied have paid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

I don't see the huge problem, as everybody are offered a free vaccination by the government, and furthermore Moderna jabs are not available before from October and later, so with the ongoing free vaccinations a first free jab could be offered before Moderne is available.

The free jabs are mostly likely to be Sinovac or, if lucky or Thai? AZ.

Whilst Sinovac my offer some protection it is generally regarded as well down the pecking order in what you would  have, given any choice.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

So 9 millions registered and PAID for the vaccine, it's like 29,700,000,000 baht paid, is that right? but only 5 millions doses will be available if at all...

I suspect they are getting these numbers from a google forms survey my gf made me fill out.    It just registers the desire to get the Moderna vaccine and at which hospital but not asking for money at this stage, but will mean notification at some unspecified point when they have stock.  

• Like 1

Understanding that there are a lot of duplicates - I registered at four sites, prepaid for one, so far - that's still a lot.

If the regime is truly interested in getting everyone vaccinated ASAP, then they'd loosen the restrictions on the private, paid option.

I'd submit that, for a few reasons, they do not want the private option, so artificially constrain it.

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Understanding that there are a lot of duplicates - I registered at four sites, prepaid for one, so far - that's still a lot.

If the regime is truly interested in getting everyone vaccinated ASAP, then they'd loosen the restrictions on the private, paid option.

I'd submit that, for a few reasons, they do not want the private option, so artificially constrain it.

...Or it is because the success of those private hospitals vacc. listings the Gov. can not have their vaccine quota .....? Money $$$$$ talks for those pharma giants .... especially now 

Edited by david555