Expat Registration for public vaccination has failed! What can we do?

WaveHunter

59 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

No that’s completely untrue, as you can see from other people here who used to to get vaccinated 

Thousands of people have been vaccinated using that site 

Thousands, huh! Will all five of you tell us how many hours you spent trying to access the websites before you were successful in getting an appt.

Time to accept the fact nobody cares if foreigners get vaxxed.

1 minute ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Thousands, huh! Will all five of you tell us how many hours you spent trying to access the websites before you were successful in getting an appt.

Time to accept the fact nobody cares if foreigners get vaxxed.

There was over 500 foreigners there at my appointed vaccination time 

there were 4 appointment times per day spread over a month, and that was at one of three hospitals involved in the scheme 

took me 5 mins to apply 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I have lived here for way too many years, have always loved it but the response to the pandemic has made me finally see the light.  I and my family will be leaving permanently upon daughter's high school graduation  next year.  I have watched every week here in Chiang Mai the few hospitals that put up a notice only to see way too many complaints of that system.  From the writing we got here, it said this was a project of the private hospitals beginning 1 July to register and get monies for 2 jabs of moderna and the program would end on 31 July and at that time they would know how many doses they would need.  Each time that a hospital put up a notice, within seconds sometimes and other times within minutes they announce they don't have any more doses.  They didn't have any doses anyway of moderna but were registering people I guess for the Oct period when they would receive the doses.  Instead it appears that each location was given a certain amount that they could register, some 60, some 100 before they shut down totally.  My hospital put up a notice and the day before cancelled it as they said the doses were sent to a hotspot.  They advised that they would keep us up to date when they would be allowed to register us again.  I and both my wife and daughter have been

patients at this hospital and have id cards from the hospital.  We get our yearly shots there so it is not like we are just some fly by nighter.  The only people I know here that say they have gotten shots are for Sinovac, and one for AZ but they couldn't get it here in Chiang Mai city but had to go elsewhere to get that shot (these were Thai people, no ex-pats that I know have gotten anything.  It looks more like those in the Bangkok region get the vaccines because of the spreading of the virus there.  Now, they will use the vaccines donated for ex-pats to give booster shots to the frontline nurses and doctors and special folks.  I now am not loving it so much here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems to me that it's mostly down to luck, and being in the right place at the right time.  Like lots of others I put my name down on several registration lists with no result.  Then last week I took my wife to the local village hospital for her government shot.  I had no appointment, but I had nothing to lose by asking.  They were sympathetic, and we both ended up with shots of AZ.  Maybe just a visit to your local village hospital will be lucky for you.

46 minutes ago, UTH001 said:

Switzerland? They assist very few Swiss to get vaccinated, and it is only done in BKK. And traveling to BKK during these 'uncertain' times, no thank you! The French so far seem the only Nation that really cares for their citizens, well done!

The point I'm making is the Swiss, just like the French are setting a precedent for other nations to follow. It represents a paradigm shift in how home governments have traditionally interacted with the needs of their expat citizens abroad. 

The number of actual vaccinations provided by the Swiss is irrelevant at this point.  I'm sure more will follow, and hopefully more nations will be shamed into taking similar measures.

As for travel to Bangkok, it's not not like an atomic bomb exploded there, ya know?  8 million people live in Bangkok and most still go about their day to day lives without acting like the end of the world has come.

I think a lot of us should have a reality check from time to time, and not blow things out of proportion. (myself included LOL).

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, sqwakvfr said:

A couple of questions for you:

Waverhunter, I have an OA  So until early 2022 I have multi-entry status. In your case I believe you would need to purchase a Re-Entry Permit before you left.  Also, because I have an OA I had to buy Health Insurance that  has 400K IPD and 40K OPD compliant.  Also, I had to have the mandatory Covid 19 insurance with a minimum coverage of $100,000.  To comply with both I bought an all inclusive policy with Pacific Cross(it is not not cheap even in my case because I am under 60).  So in your case the need to buy health insurance could be an obstacle(as is the case for anyone who wants to come back).

In terms of quarantine and the fully vaccinated?  At present it appears 14 days in a hotel room with 3 prepaid PCR tests are required(these requirement could change but with the daily numbers of cases I can't see it changing).  

This is why I am considering just not coming back and settling in central TX(San Antonio?).  

Good luck on making the right decision.  

San Antonio as I suspected, wide open. "Choose yer poison cowboy". I chose Pfizer. At around 60 percent adult fully vaccinated nationwide, we appear to have hit resistance and they can't give it away. Good time to schedule a visit and Sandbox is an option for return, to Thailand.

Shame there are so many people wishing to do the right thing in Thailand who have few options yet.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 16.44.27.png

17 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

There was over 500 foreigners there at my appointed vaccination time 

there were 4 appointment times per day spread over a month, and that was at one of three hospitals involved in the scheme 

took me 5 mins to apply 

There's no point in repeating your rather commonplace - though unnecessarily smug point.

Everybody knows that many expatriates were able to secure vaccinations.I'm one of those expatriates myself.The problem is that many more were not, including the elderly and vulnerable who were not as quick off the mark.Equally, many ordinary expats have not been able to secure vaccinations as is obvious from this forum and the personal knowledge of many.

So stop crowing about your "success "and instead if possible offer some practical guidance.Otherwise as Clement Attlee once said to one of his Ministers, a period of silence on your part would be welcome.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, delboy said:

It seems to me that it's mostly down to luck, and being in the right place at the right time.  Like lots of others I put my name down on several registration lists with no result.  Then last week I took my wife to the local village hospital for her government shot.  I had no appointment, but I had nothing to lose by asking.  They were sympathetic, and we both ended up with shots of AZ.  Maybe just a visit to your local village hospital will be lucky for you.

We live in a small village in rural Nakorn Rachasima. Nobody around us, in this village or surrounding villages and towns has been vaccinated. In Korat city, yes, there have been vaccinations going on at Central. We checked it out a few weeks ago, my Thai wife was was told to go away and register online, I was totally ignored. 

About 2-3 months ago the village headman announced that everyone should go to his HQ to register for the sinovax vaccine. My wife went and registered, she asked if I could register too, the reply was no, it's for Thais only. I'm the sole farang in the village. Just me...1 person, and they say no. It doesn't matter anyway because they don't have any vaccines. My wife registered 2-3 months ago and not a word since. She's gone up and asked a few times and gets told there aren't any vaccines.

I've contacted several hospitals in Nakorn Rachasima, none have even replied. I'm on the lists at a couple of BKK hospitals, but they all say they don't currently have any vaccines and will let me know...which I seriously doubt. Perhaps tomorrow morning I'll be lucky and manage to type my name, full address, email and mob number, age, DOB, visa type in under 60 seconds and beat the buzzer on the Phyathai 2 Hospital form.

Edited by grain

7 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Just curious, where did you do ASQ on return, and what was the experience like?  Were there any complications encountered with applying online for the COA?  Which consulate did you go through?

WaveHunter,

I just finished my quarantine this past Sunday and caught a flight back to my home in Chiang Rai.  I was in the US for 8 days, got the J&J vaccine and saw some friends and family.  I went through the Thai consulate in Chicago and it took about 1 week to get my COE.  I didn’t have any problems.  The ASQ hotel I stayed at was the Solitaire on Sukhumvit Soi 11.  The service was good.  The food selection was good. Everyday I could choose from several western, Thai or Indian selections.  I paid a little more and got a room with a balcony.  For an extra fee I also had them put a treadmill in my room.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, sqwakvfr said:

A couple of questions for you:

Waverhunter, I have an OA  So until early 2022 I have multi-entry status. In your case I believe you would need to purchase a Re-Entry Permit before you left.  Also, because I have an OA I had to buy Health Insurance that  has 400K IPD and 40K OPD compliant.  Also, I had to have the mandatory Covid 19 insurance with a minimum coverage of $100,000.  To comply with both I bought an all inclusive policy with Pacific Cross(it is not not cheap even in my case because I am under 60).  So in your case the need to buy health insurance could be an obstacle(as is the case for anyone who wants to come back).

In terms of quarantine and the fully vaccinated?  At present it appears 14 days in a hotel room with 3 prepaid PCR tests are required(these requirement could change but with the daily numbers of cases I can't see it changing).  

This is why I am considering just not coming back and settling in central TX(San Antonio?).  

Good luck on making the right decision.  

Thanks for the reply.  I've been researching and the round trip to the States is  starting get mighty expensive and very much of a hassle in the making just to get jabbed.  By my accounting, it's at least six weeks plus a couple weeks of quarenteening upon return.  Costs, all told are probably over $6,000.  Unexpected hassles with getting back here due to red tape are a distinct possibility.  So, if I do go back, like you, it will probably be a one way ticket.  Frankly, I've had my fun here in the Magic Kingdom for the last few years but the last few months have really left a sour taste in my mouth, and perhaps it's just time to rejoin the REAL world again.

Edited by WaveHunter

3 minutes ago, UTH001 said:

I do not believe for one minute that while you were there, 500 other foreigners were there too, to get vaccinated. Never in a million years!

You want the vaccine, or want to moan about the vaccine?

why on earth would you choose to believe that someone would make it up?

46C449A9-0322-4CAC-B9F0-39173C000AE3.jpeg

3168F61D-02DF-455F-8374-4725079411BE.jpeg

C8003146-BF74-467D-BB2E-10187871EAC4.jpeg

569A854D-C186-4AC9-A77C-F1C01B186DD3.jpeg

BD167BE1-D2AD-4E54-BBFF-007845D3C048.jpeg

408D0C0A-2F3E-4302-94CB-5075E88944A0.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Why 30 minutes observation? Other countries use 15. I f you don't have a history of allergic reactions even that is a complete waste of time

I thought the same thing. And they didNt show anything good on the big screen, either. 

the whole thing was really well planned tho. I was impressed by how they handles it (I was expecting it to be a <deleted> show)

14 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You seem very confused.Taking your paragraphs in turn.

Most would like this forum to cover a broad range of experiences.Sheryl started a very useful thread in which many people have related their successful experience.

Outside your fevered imagination, nobody has actually said this or even implied it.

Foolish comment which I will ignore.

I have been noticing a pattern on thaivisa. All the actual very useful posts, like the ones about roads being open and experiences driving, they are all ignored and derided. 

Useless complaining, armchair quarterbacking, general Thai bashing, and utterly useless posts are celebrated and adored.

You just can’t make this stuff up. There are people arguing and adding nothing here and there is actual photographic evidence lol

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 12:25 PM, WaveHunter said:

Yep, I've written so many emails to Ambassador Heath, my congressman and senator for my home district,ands even the White House LOL!  I make a point of sending email weekly, and of course all have all resulted in automated replies but I figure if enough people do that, it could possibly have a grass-roots impact.  At the very least, it's better than just sitting around and getting all frustrated and upset.

I really am reconsidering the idea of a trip back home now.  One of the main reasons I haven't (aside from travel dangers) is the long wait time between jabs.  I mean, I don't want to be tied with 2 months of wasted time, not to mention the expense...SO, I'm starting to look into the idea of the J&J vaccine with only one jab required.

Have never really researched J&J before but now I will.  I'd welcome others' thought on it (as long as they are science-based thoughts, that is).

I know it is reported to have lower efficacy but I was thinking maybe I would get it, and then also get a first dose of Pfizer or Moderna.  And the best part is...I can get both right down the street from my house in CT and with no appointment even required at the pharmacy WOW!!!

The idea of a trip back home is sounding way better than it did only 24 hours ago.  I so sick of all of the "slaps in the face" we're getting here by Thailand's handling of expats, I swear to God I am !  It would be my way of saying <<deleted>> to the whole silly situation here!

2141162573_snapshot_2021-07-12at12_30_14PM.jpg.6b393dc4efaf110b0263fa65efe69a60.jpg

J&J’s Covid Shot Gets FDA Warning About Rare Immune Disorder

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/j-j-s-covid-shot-gets-fda-warning-about-rare-immune-disorder/ar-AAM4lFh

How Johnson & Johnson's COVID Vaccine Is Making a Comeback

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/how-johnson-johnson-s-covid-vaccine-is-making-a-comeback/ar-AAM5XRR

1 minute ago, utalkin2me said:

I have been noticing a pattern on thaivisa. All the actual very useful posts, like the ones about roads being open and experiences driving, they are all ignored and derided. 

Useless complaining, armchair quarterbacking, general Thai bashing, and utterly useless posts are celebrated and adored.

You just can’t make this stuff up. There are people arguing and adding nothing here and there is actual photographic evidence lol

It’s very very very odd.

but I guess it’s easier just to sit at home on the computer and say “Sinovac is <deleted>” and “farang cannot get vaccinated”

than to actually research vaccine efficacy or actually register for a vaccine online.

If people on this forum were driven to the hospital by the government and allowed to chose their vaccine of choice for free, they would still moan about it on the internet. It’s expat culture 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Nooo, that’s completely incorrect, anyone could register at https://thailandintervac.com/expatriatesA few weeks ago.

many people, including me did so and got the jabs. None of the people worked for embassies 

You are completely wrong here.  

Do you see the problem?

do you really want a jab, or do you just want to moan about not getting a jab?

I have no idea what planet you live on but InterVac/expat went live for a total of less than 24 hours, then shut down and never reopened!  Even the CCSA was forced to publicly admit that both InterVac sites were a COMPLETE FAILURE.  I recognize you are a new forum member but you are spreading gross misinformation and that's helpful to no one so STOP IT!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

It’s very very very odd.

but I guess it’s easier just to sit at home on the computer and say “Sinovac is <deleted>” and “farang cannot get vaccinated”

than to actually research vaccine efficacy or actually register for a vaccine online.

If people on this forum were driven to the hospital by the government and allowed to chose their vaccine of choice for free, they would still moan about it on the internet. It’s expat culture 

I love that last paragraph. So true. I can even visualize it. “They were late picking me up, and the line was long and there were no fans…” lol

• Like 1

As a Brit feeling the same frustrations as others on this forum,I thought about returning to the UK for my vaccination.

However at the moment the delta variant is infecting a large number of people in the UK,but most have already been vaccinated.Thus one is entering a country of asymptomatic,infected people,and after 19th July all restrictions on movement and mask wearing will be removed.

The first high risk environment will be long queues at the Heathrow end of the trip,then travel to one's destination by public transport.

For the moment living in one's relative isolation bubble may be the safer option,and await with increasing impatience for a vaccine to become available.

Advice from medical friends in the UK about the Thailand situation was"If it is heading towards the situation in India,get out of Thailand as quickly as possible"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I have no idea what planet you live on but InterVac/expat went live for a total of less than 24 hours, then shut down and never reopened!  Even the CCSA was forced to publicly admit that both InterVac sites were a COMPLETE FAILURE.  I recognize you are a new forum member but you are spreading gross misinformation and that's helpful to no one so STOP IT!

What’s gross misinformation is this?

I was able to register using that site and got my first jab. I shared my experience of that.

please tell me what misinformation is this, seriously. 

the attitude of some people here is downright bizarre 

16 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I have done a lot of research on Google search in the last 24 hours and I'm fairly convinced that J&J is just as good as any of the other vaccines.  Most of the negative press has been unfounded. 

Everybody makes a big deal about its' stated efficacy of around 70% being so much lower than Pfizer or Moderna or AZ, but J&J used a completely different set of criteria for determining their efficacy number that put a much stronger emphasis on short term side effects and such (all of which were very short term and not at all dangerous.  That is why they came up with a lower number. 

However, purely in terms of efficacy at preventing infection, J&J is about the same as all the others.

Those who only compare the efficacy numbers are completely misinterpreting them.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I have no idea what point you are attempting to make.

11 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I love that last paragraph. So true. I can even visualize it. “They were late picking me up, and the line was long and there were no fans…” lol

This is the second forum where I’ve posted my experiences of successfully getting a vaccine here and it’s the second place I’ve been accused of lying and making it all up. 

it’s really, really weird 

For those Americans threatening to go back for a jab, am I missing something or didn't you read about the USA donating 1.3 million doses of Pfizer vaccine to Thailand with the stipulation 300k be reserved for US citizens and other foreigners? So you might want to want until the end of July when the shipment  is scheduled to be delivered. Or not, up to you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1