Thailand to combine Sinovac, AstraZeneca vaccine doses to boost protection - minister

snoop1130

I dont understand all the fuss, its only 1 in 1,000?  You could look at it the other way and say that 1 shot of Sinovac has protected up to 999 health workers out of 1,000.  But that would probably only be realised if Sinovac was made in the west and especially the US.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ThaiFelix said:

I dont understand all the fuss, its only 1 in 1,000?  You could look at it the other way and say that 1 shot of Sinovac has protected up to 999 health workers out of 1,000.  But that would probably only be realised if Sinovac was made in the west and especially the US.

Agree....these figures just don't stack up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Fwiw, I think there are supposed to be 3 local studies that “prove” a sinoAZ combo is as good as 2 AZ. But they must be very short duration and I haven’t seen any details as to scope or scale. 

make of that what you will. The cynic in me says the government told Thai medics to come up with evidence to say what they are doing is ok. Others might feel it’s satisfactory evidence. Who knows?

WHO says no!

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

So basically wasting all of these AZ vaccines on boosters because the sinovac govt bought turned out to be useless.

Firstly, if they'd initially been given AZ, they'd still be looking at a 2nd AZ. Secondly, most countries are now talking 3rd shot boosters, so whatever was given 1st and 2nd falls into your definition as useless, right? Seems most vaxes have diminishing potency against new strains.

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Agree....these figures just don't stack up.

One died in the group... but I don't know how big that group is that were exposed to Covid, beyond the 618 who became infected. They must have been expecting zero.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, caughtintheact said:

Hmmm does this mean that there should be questions about the data coming from China where they are claiming only 92K cases to date?  (insert facetious, sarcastic icons here) (worldometers.info)  

Oh yes......

5 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Firstly, if they'd initially been given AZ, they'd still be looking at a 2nd AZ. Secondly, most countries are now talking 3rd shot boosters, so whatever was given 1st and 2nd falls into your definition as useless, right? Seems most vaxes have diminishing potency against new strains.

But some a lot more so than others. Just because both A and B are less than C that doesn't mean A equals B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two different vaccines? 

That like trying to get a katoy and Thai lady to both go home with you. They don't mix. 

WHO has already advised against mixing and matching vaccines. Why? There is no test data on such. They already don't know the long term affects of just one vaccine, since they compressed clinical trials from many years down to months. 

Thailand to combine Sinovac, AstraZeneca vaccine doses to boost protection - minister

I'd like to see the long-term studies regarding the safety of these vaccination mixing protocol.  Silly me.  That's right.  They don't exist.  In fact, long term studies of any of these new vaccines don't exist.  Bypassed under 'emergency authorization' where normal vaccine studies take 5 to 10 years.  <head shake>  That's ok.  If people die then the 'benefits outweigh the risk' so say the experts who aren't the one's dying. 

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

China told them to say that, as other opinions are impacting Sinovac sales.

As I read it the WHO was saying to avoid any mixing.  Supposedly the best combination is one of Astra Zeneca and either Pfizer or Moderna.  But who really knows.  The world is really just a human Petri dish where we are being injected with vaccines to prevent Covid that we won't know for years any long term side effects and it will be months before we see how effective the vaccines really are. 

• Like 1

l have just seen a report from a Scientist at WHO who says it is very dangerous to mix two brands of Covid vaccine as tests have not be carried out to see what will happen. More Govt. clowns now needed Mr. PM so they can be the Guinea Pigs.

5 minutes ago, inThailand said:

WHO has already advised against mixing and matching vaccines. Why? There is no test data on such. They already don't know the long term affects of just one vaccine, since they compressed clinical trials from many years down to months. 

Nature magazine has test data indicating that immune response increases by mixing.  Mix-and-match COVID vaccines trigger potent immune response (nature.com), and other organizations are doing tests.

WHO is also the organization that backed up the CCP when it told the world that the virus could not spread to humans in early 2020, so why should anyone trust them?  

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

There have been no studies specifically on mixing Sinovac and AstraZeneca released

So, the government has decided to experiment on their population to save face!  

51 minutes ago, caughtintheact said:

Nature magazine has test data indicating that immune response increases by mixing.  Mix-and-match COVID vaccines trigger potent immune response (nature.com), and other organizations are doing tests.

WHO is also the organization that backed up the CCP when it told the world that the virus could not spread to humans in early 2020, so why should anyone trust them?  

WHO is just being very conservative. Covering its a$$ so to speak.

43 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But some a lot more so than others. Just because both A and B are less than C that doesn't mean A equals B.

Nobody knows yet what all combinations of As + Bs equal. There's doubts now about even A + A or B + B against new strains.

If Sinovac+Sinovac is proved to be ineffective, but Sinovac+AstraZaneca or Sinovac+Sinovac+AstraZaneca turns out to be efficacious and safe then it would seem a reasonable way forward, considering the millions who already have a 1st and maybe 2nd, Sinovac shot.

what happens when the AZ is not good enough which is not far away as far as the Sinovac goes the best thing they can do with that is donate it to the Chinese government, and man this mix the vaccines will be a big big problem in the future has anyone at all considered what vaccines are going to do to the unborn babies???

5 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I think the point that has drifted out of focus on a lot of posts is that Thailand is not talking about using one shot of  AZ and one shot of an mRNA vaccine. That combo HAS been used in some countries and as, as someone posted, it’s what Angela merkel did.

what Thailand is doing, to combat the delta strain,  is using one dose of sinovac and one dose of AZ. The issue here being that 2 doses of sinovac is not perceived as enough protection, so it’s being cut to just the one, and AZ added.

but AZ is perceived as only marginally better than sinovac against delta, or at least it’s own effectiveness is drastically cut.

in layman’s terms it’s weakest vaccine plus next less weakest vaccine.

whereas, AZ plus an mRNA would in layman’s terms be described as second least effective plus one of the “best”.

so if sinovac is a 1, and AZ a 2, and an mRNA a 3, what Thailand is doing adds up to 3. The other combo being used in other countries adds up to 5.

I deliberately haven’t gone into detail about actual percentage protection provided etc etc, I’m just trying to point out why people may perceive what Thailand is doing as being less than ideal. Basically it’s the inclusion of sinovac as one of the constituents in the combo.

What's best against the delta strain is all this scaremongering. 

33 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Mainly on expats......I would think....555

That would require expats to get vaccinated.....5 months on since I first made inquiries at my hospital, and zero vaccine in my arm, despite being over 60 blah, blah, blah... 

19 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

What's the point in doing this?

It's time to forget about Sinovac and vaccinate the masses with the alternatives that do offer some sort of protection.

You're right. 

However, the problem is when those Western vaccines will arrive? 

Imagine, you have to start from scratch. 

And.... ordering and delivering doesn't go together. 

To get Thai population to be vaccinated you have to buy at least about 60 million, considering those they got Sinovac would need only one shot. 

How this should happen and when? 

Definitely not this year. ????

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

You're right. 

However, the problem is when those Western vaccines will arrive? 

Imagine, you have to start from scratch. 

And.... ordering and delivering doesn't go together. 

To get Thai population to be vaccinated you have to buy at least about 60 million, considering those they got Sinovac would need only one shot. 

How this should happen and when? 

Definitely not this year. ????

Yup. This shows how seriously messed up this is. The drip drip drip of realisation with a good measure of face-saving thrown in has exacerbated the situation to an unfolding disaster. 

• Like 1