U.S. repeats warning to China against attack on Philippine forces

snoop1130

"We also reaffirm that an armed attack on Philippine armed forces, public vessels, or aircraft in the South China Sea would invoke U.S. mutual defense commitments"

Meanwhile the Philippines added to the mutual defense by promising that they would toss so much extra sewage and trash and broken fishing nets into the sea around the Philippines that the Chinese Coastguard vessels would be constantly un-seizing their propellers.....

Actually the only country which the CCP is wary of is Vietnam - they do not give in.....

27 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

I would add that they are doing this not only for stratgic sea and port passage routes, but also so the Chinese can extract resources from the South China Sea. I'd argue the reason for resources is also why they are trying so hard, through human rights abuses to have whatever access they want to/in Xinjiang

When it comes to the issue of sea passage routes how would it it advantage China to control an international  route  if it wishes to enhance international trade?

The issues about resources within the disputed areas of the SCS are little different to the " Might is Right" that enabled the US to retain domination and occupation of non state non combatant victim territories post  WW2.

Out side of it's own territory the USA has  never won a war  alone . The defeat of Hitler and the Japanese was an Allied effort with the US very late to the party against Hitler !

Can the US  now be confident that supposed Allies support unilateral antagonistic threats against a far flung historical territory of China that Taiwan is?  Or a remote atoll that in many cases territorial  claims were not defined until such  time as resource or strategical geographical importance was dictated from afar?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, MayBeNow said:

Are you serious? The USA was the former colonial power of the Philipines. Was this an equal treaty?

But treaties aside, the USA should stop sticking its nose in far away countries. You would think that country is a bit tired of loosing the wars they start. 

You’re utterly missing the point! You wanted to know why the US are in this and it is because of the 1951 treaty, whether that treaty was fair or not doesn’t matter cause it has nothing to do with what’s going on right now! Also, the Philippines on their own probably wont stand a chance against China, so someone needs to stand up against the Chinese and in this case it is the US and that’s good because otherwise China would just keep expanding! 

i agree, though, that the US should generally speaking mind their own business, this case being an exception, though! 

22 hours ago, MayBeNow said:

Because Taiwan is part of China proper. 

In 1895 the Japanese conquered the province of Formosa from China. After the Japanese defeat in 1945 the nationalist Chinese too it back.

The mainland Chinese government wants all of China under their control. They rightly squashed the HK violent minority last year, without causing any deaths (hear hear Capitol hill). How could they ever allow a movement threatening the integrity of their country?

And they will not rest before the, in their eyes, renegade province of Taiwan is back under control.

Ofcourse the West has a different narrative of events, divide et impera, devide and rule. 

What you conveniently seem to overlook is the fact that the Chinese aren’t free people! They are heavily censored, human rights are non-existent and freedom of speech doesn’t exist, which are all rights people in Hong Kong as well as Taiwan have enjoyed for decades and which are rights that are considered essential to have in the western world that every one should be allowed to have! China is a dictatorship and they can go …. themselves! And because they don’t respect basic human rights and are massive bullies they have forfeited any rights or claims over people in my book!  Plus the law they introduced that sparked the unrest set in Hong Kong clearly goes against the agreement they have signed with the British! And kudos to guys in HongKong who stood up to them! The only reason they squashed the rising in Hong Kong is because they introduced new laws to suit their needs and because of Corona. The Chinese government needs to be eradicated and their people liberated! Every single dictatorship and empire eventually fell and so will China! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2021 at 11:53 PM, Catoni said:

Difficult to believe that some people actually admire the Chinese Communist Party after all the misery it’s caused, and the danger it represents. But that’s Marxists for you. 

yeah and in a recent article I see Jackie Chan is now one of them...interesting

On 7/13/2021 at 4:34 AM, wwest5829 said:

I taught for 41 years, the last 27 mostly teaching the American History and Western Civ. survey courses (mostly the latter, so yes I have read the texts you cite. Ha! But not in the original languages). A very broad background. I always told my students that I know a little bit about a whole lot (although the more I learned, the more I realized how little I knew) but if they had specific questions, I would send them to a Professor specializing in that subject/area of research. Teaching the survey courses, it was my responsibility to take the research and make it understandable to my students. It has been and remains my belief that we cannot hope to understand the world around us without looking at the history. Now retired for a decade so I often need to go back to refresh. Currently, I am enjoying Seneca, “On the Shortness of Life”. Yo, at 74  …

Thank you for your comments.  It’s great meeting others with the same interest in History I have. And you’re a Professor in the subject.  Best wishes to you and your family. The Ancient Greek and Roman authors are great reading.  I wish you many many more years of continuing study in the field of your interest.  My study never ends.  
 Blessings.  ???????? ???????? ???????? ☸️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lingba said:

yeah and in a recent article I see Jackie Chan is now one of them...interesting

I guess you can be a highly talented actor and a great martial artist, but still be really dim witted and lacking when it comes to wisdom and common sense. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 1

Considering that overseas Chinese already control the Philippines politically and economically, this is really much ado about nothing.  It's basically Thailand but with Spanish blood sprinkled in like cinnamon.  

They're trying to stoke a war between Switzerland and southern Germany.