Thailand approves self-tests, self-isolation as COVID-19 cases climb

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has given the go-ahead for home isolation of coronavirus patients with mild symptoms and use of home self-test kits, as a stubborn coronavirus outbreak puts pressure on its capital's healthcare and testing capacity.

Gotta keeps the numbers down some way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

A Food and Drug Administration official said efforts were being made to keep the price of the kits, which are less accurate than RT-PCR tests, at around 100 baht ($3.06).

Pay for your tests, pay for your vaccines and isolate at home... home much will the medication be?

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

yesterday those tests were estimated to sell 300-400b.Now below 100b.

But in europe supermarkets they are 30-40b.

Who and how much is making on them?

An empire.

14 minutes ago, merijn said:

Until it is confirmed that this is also applicable for us it's still straight to the hospital or quarantine hotel I'm afraid.

in bangkok and neighbouring provinces they are all full.

from a cluster of about 20 infected on my doorstep, only 1 was hospitalised. The first one detected. I don't think he was in a serious state, but he and his mother work at hospital, so it was easier to find bed for him.

Foreigners tend to go to hospitels, you need private health insurance or fork out 40k.

11 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why? If you have a week of high case counts you can be sure the following week you'll have more need for critical care, you can prepare your staff, facilities and decision making, its pretty basic stuff

The only thing they want to prepare for is opening the borders asap.

do you think this comes from a couple of top ranking politicians doing self stay at home isolation because of fear of catching corvid 19 even though they have had the jab, and what of all these different strains getting around each one worse than the other and real doctors saying can not tell the difference, think we should send the real doctors back to unie they know nothing, just ask the people who say stop talking on trains(not added yet) or we will fine you

11 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why? If you have a week of high case counts you can be sure the following week you'll have more need for critical care, you can prepare your staff, facilities and decision making, its pretty basic stuff

That's why all the hospitals all over the world couldn't handle the pressure right , because they had more and more critical cases every week and they had time to prepare their staff facilities and decision making . Pretty basic stuff right ?? 

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

That's why all the hospitals all over the world couldn't handle the pressure right , because they had more and more critical cases every week and they had time to prepare their staff facilities and decision making . Pretty basic stuff right ?? 

Maybe the basic explanation is not enough for you:

Case counts as a leading indicator
In the UK, new cases reached a peak on 5 April at 6,199, only surpassed in the report on 1 May, which was based on significantly expanded testing. The number of hospitalised patients due to Covid-19 reached a peak on April 12th, then began to decrease. The number of patients on mechanical ventilation beds also peaked on April 12th, but did not start to decrease until about a week later.  The highest number of daily deaths was recorded on April 21st.

The pattern of these dates shows how the number of cases serves as a leading indicator to help officials anticipate the demand severe illness will place on hospitals. The high case counts in early April signalled the devastating health crisis that strained health systems later that month.

https://apolitical.co/solution-articles/en/measuring-covid-cases-testing

17 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Self home isolation has been used by most countries to successfully fight the spread of the Sars-Cov2 virus; with this, hospital resources can be focused on those requiring medical treatment of their symptoms. 

Indeed, there are still other people whom also need treatment.....

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Maybe the basic explanation is not enough for you:

Case counts as a leading indicator
In the UK, new cases reached a peak on 5 April at 6,199, only surpassed in the report on 1 May, which was based on significantly expanded testing. The number of hospitalised patients due to Covid-19 reached a peak on April 12th, then began to decrease. The number of patients on mechanical ventilation beds also peaked on April 12th, but did not start to decrease until about a week later.  The highest number of daily deaths was recorded on April 21st.

The pattern of these dates shows how the number of cases serves as a leading indicator to help officials anticipate the demand severe illness will place on hospitals. The high case counts in early April signalled the devastating health crisis that strained health systems later that month.

https://apolitical.co/solution-articles/en/measuring-covid-cases-testing

I am talking about the beginning of the outbrake when nobody was expecting it , nobody could have prepared for that . Same as what happened here when they thought they had everything under controle . And now the overcrouded hospitals and fieldhospitals . Not 1 country in the world could prepare for this , maybe now when they have people vaccinated and have had the first , second and third waves but not 1 country in the world was prepared for the first or even second wave . They started to be prepared from the third wave on(except here in thailand) . But as always you must be right so sorry my bad for stating the obvious . 

6 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I am talking about the beginning of the outbrake when nobody was expecting it , nobody could have prepared for that . Same as what happened here when they thought they had everything under controle . And now the overcrouded hospitals and fieldhospitals . Not 1 country in the world could prepare for this , maybe now when they have people vaccinated and have had the first , second and third waves but not 1 country in the world was prepared for the first or even second wave . They started to be prepared from the third wave on(except here in thailand) . But as always you must be right so sorry my bad for stating the obvious . 

We are not in the beginning of the outbreak now.....testing was limited in all countries when the pandemic started

Edited by Bkk Brian

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has given the go-ahead for home isolation of coronavirus patients with mild symptoms and use of home self-test kits, as a stubborn coronavirus outbreak puts pressure on its capital's healthcare and testing capacity.

Finally!  This is good news.  Forcefully incarcerating Covid 'cases' was absurd and was killing their hospital system's ability to function simply because a bunch of elitist control freaks wanted to restrict the movement of anyone with a positive PCR by force.  I said back three months ago that it would bite them in the butt - andddd - it bit them in the butt. 

Now that I know that Mrs Connda and I would not be thrown into Covid jail for popping  positive I'm more likely to be amenable to keeping Rapid Antigen tests around.  We have the land, a home, and enough supplies to live without leaving for a month.  But on the other hand I don't know anyone in Thailand who has Covid.

Now if they'd just offer the anti-body tests.  I feel most people in our Tambon where expose last year as virtually every household were hacking their lungs out.  I'd like to explore that further.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

We are not in the beginning of the outbreak now.....

Oh really ?? Why is it still a !@#$ up here then ?? Because this is the first time they have to handle with it and they are far behind the rest of the world (look at the vaccine program , overcrowded hospitals etc.) But hey what do i know  . They prepared very well here, their staff etc everything was prepared when it broke out right . 

I intend to get the Covid19 antigen rapid test (ART) kit from Singapore. Has anyone tried to bring in from external sources? Will the package be confiscated by custom? Any information relating to this will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Eric Loh
grammar correction

4 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Oh really ?? Why is it still a !@#$ up here then ?? Because this is the first time they have to handle with it and they are far behind the rest of the world (look at the vaccine program , overcrowded hospitals etc.) But hey what do i know  . They prepared very well here, their staff etc everything was prepared when it broke out right . 

Are they doing enough testing here?

18 hours ago, smedly said:

yes a sensible move IMO but they will also lose track of infection numbers, so the daily reported case numbers are now well and truely shafted - not too many believed them anyway

The correct way to use these test kits would have been by keeping it official and when someone returns a positive test then do a follow up PCR test to confirm

so goodbye to daily case data  

There's probably many people who have avoided testing because they would be required to quarantine at a hospital if positive. So I doubt the number of cases has been accurate anyways.

Flooding hospital beds with asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic infections would not be worth it even if it provided an accurate number of infections. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

what do you mean it would not be applicable to you?

I'm afraid that they will say that the foreigners have to go to the private hospitals in case they have a positive test. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

As i said , well prepaired right . Wasn't that what you where talking about from the beginning ?? Being able to prepare . 

Yes if they test enough, so now you can see its all basic stuff right

18 hours ago, internationalism said:

yesterday those tests were estimated to sell 300-400b.Now below 100b.

But in europe supermarkets they are 30-40b.

Who and how much is making on them?

And in India only 50 rupees (22 baht). 

https://www.india.com/news/india/iit-delhi-launches-affordable-rapid-antigen-test-kit-priced-at-rs-50-4768908/

Edited by Keesters
Add link

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes if they test enough, so now you can see its all basic stuff right

Thai and basic stuff ??? And not only thai , in holland they started testing like crazy because they opened up clubs and festivals so everybody that wanted to enter needed a test or QR code that said they where fully vaccinated . The outcome of that was that the nr of invected rose 10 fold of the nr's they had before opening up and not mass testing . Very basic right ?? The more you test the more the nr's will rise . But now they are going back on restrictiins becaise they say nr's are rising ??? Wasn't that going to be obvious because they where testing 10 times more then before again ???? Basic stuff right ?? And this is not only happening in holland but also UK etc. So i geuss it all isn't as basic as you think it is right ??? But hey . 

1 minute ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Thai and basic stuff ??? And not only thai , in holland they started testing like crazy because they opened up clubs and festivals so everybody that wanted to enter needed a test or QR code that said they where fully vaccinated . The outcome of that was that the nr of invected rose 10 fold of the nr's they had before opening up and not mass testing . Very basic right ?? The more you test the more the nr's will rise . But now they are going back on restrictiins becaise they say nr's are rising ??? Wasn't that going to be obvious because they where testing 10 times more then before again ???? Basic stuff right ?? And this is not only happening in holland but also UK etc. So i geuss it all isn't as basic as you think it is right ??? But hey . 

Ok not basic for you i agree with that

Hopefully they don't make to much profit on these test kits.

The tests at hospitals were difficult to get and in many instances very expensive.  

Edited by MrJ2U