Police Road Block in North Pattaya - Just Wanted To See Drivers License - Why?

Thomas J

On 7/15/2021 at 12:45 PM, bbko said:

A few years ago there were several Line groups where members would send out messages notifying others if they came across a Pattaya police checkpoint, I left one group when I went back to the USA to work, anyone know if those groups are still around?

Yes, pattaya checkpoints police on LINE

On 7/16/2021 at 6:13 PM, JDJD said:

I'm driving on a valid US drivers license (with motorcycle endorsement), and a valid US passport with COVID extension visa. I have not been able to register a Thai license through Land Transport due to COVID regulations not accepting new license requests at this time.  I spoke with a few agents, they seemed to believe it wouldn't be a problem. Am I likely to have problems going through one of these checkpoints? The motorbike tax and insurance are paid. 

I have yet to be pulled over or checked during my stay. Should I stick to English only or use my marginal+ Thai to greet and show the officer respect? Should I wai? I'm sure results will vary, but your experiences would help. Thank you. 

You should have an International Driving Permit, national licences are not recognised in Thailand.

"

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.  Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials.  Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence."

from https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/driving-licences

Edited by mahjongguy
added link

2 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

"

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.  Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials.  Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence."

from https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/driving-licences

I'm pretty confident if you handed the police a UK driving licence they would laugh and give you a ticket

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm pretty confident if you handed the police a UK driving licence they would laugh and give you a ticket

If the important details are in English, or at least in Roman characters, and if you have been in-country for less than 90 days, then you can take the ticket to the police station and politely ask them to tear it up. If they persist in fining you, well, as always here, up to you. Personally, I'd pay it if they're willing to give a receipt that doesn't say I was double-parked and speeding at the same time.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's usually obvious from the number plates of the car that state the province it's registered in.

Not so much these days....  but the  plates don't define the driver.

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes,

one time I was stopped in Hua HIn and as my Thai licence had expired I gave the cop myvalid  UK licence.

Not accepted.

So gave him my expired Thai licence.

No accepted.

So gave him my expired IDP.

All smiles and waved on my way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes,

one time I was stopped in Hua HIn and as my Thai licence had expired I gave the cop myvalid  UK licence.

Not accepted.

So gave him my expired Thai licence.

No accepted.

So gave him my expired IDP.

All smiles and waved on my way!

Did you insert a 100Thb bill in it?? lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Did you insert a 100Thb bill in it?? lol

Nope, no need.

I've found dealing with cops in that area (Hua Hin) to be straighforward.

Another time I had turned on to the main highway heading south and there were a load of trucks in front of me so I accelerated from the lights to try to get past them at 120 kph. I spotted a police checkpoint up ahead and ducked in between 2 trucks hoping they wouldn't notice me but I was pulled over. On asking "what speed were you doing?" I replied 80kph as I was stuck behind the slow trucks, only to be told, you should drive faster and was waved on my way.

So 2 for 2 for me, don't know how any of the local expats fare with the cops there though?

11 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Nope, no need.

I've found dealing with cops in that area (Hua Hin) to be straighforward.

Another time I had turned on to the main highway heading south and there were a load of trucks in front of me so I accelerated from the lights to try to get past them at 120 kph. I spotted a police checkpoint up ahead and ducked in between 2 trucks hoping they wouldn't notice me but I was pulled over. On asking "what speed were you doing?" I replied 80kph as I was stuck behind the slow trucks, only to be told, you should drive faster and was waved on my way.

So 2 for 2 for me, don't know how any of the local expats fare with the cops there though?

Yes, I know, was just joking...