Active-dry yeast

Finlaco

@ravip  The  suggestion to google "whats the difference between Active-dry yeast and Instant yeast", was more for you knowledge than mine, but i guess you know that.

Thanks for the edit and second link.  I had already found that yesterday.  That was why I specifically asked "Any member know which supermarket stocks ...."        

But again, i do appreciate your efforts.  Thanks.

Google is so helpful.

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

OP to my knowledge none of the big supermarkets stock active yeast, i get mine from a local Thai/ Chinese supermarket.

Chinese ? do you think we can find some in China town Bangkok ?  ( I go there sometimes ... ) 

OP, why do you want active yeast ? you have already tried it ?  so far I use instant yeast, but is it really better to use active yeast ? 

ps : totally off topic ; in the second thread, there is a link to Top's 

so, I looked at mustard, because now Makro don't sell any French mustard any more  ; what they call " french mustard " is not at all French mustard, the only real one  comes from Dijon ( on the picture of Top's , it's the two pictures on the right ) 

I buy this from Big C ( all branches have it )  to make my bread. One bottle makes 2 400 gram loaves. Just mix with warm water for 5 minutes to activate then mix in with flour.

Where to buy "baker's yeast"? - Chiang Mai - Thai Visa Forum

big loaf.jpg

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well our local big C does not have it.

It should be near where the flour and food coloring is.  We don't live in a big city but our local Big C has it and its a very rural area. If not, get it online from Lazada.

It's worth knowing that once you get it it is best stored in the fridge to keep it active longer.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

Just now, Denim said:

should be near where the flour and food coloring is.

Should be but sadly isnt, i even asked the manager about it, yes she does speak English, sorry no have she said, can you get some, sorry nobody want was her reply.

16 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Chinese ? do you think we can find some in China town Bangkok ?  ( I go there sometimes ... ) 

OP, why do you want active yeast ? you have already tried it ?  so far I use instant yeast, but is it really better to use active yeast ? 

ps : totally off topic ; in the second thread, there is a link to Top's 

so, I looked at mustard, because now Makro don't sell any French mustard any more  ; what they call " french mustard " is not at all French mustard, the only real one  comes from Dijon ( on the picture of Top's , it's the two pictures on the right ) 

There is a difference between FRENCH's American Mustard and French (from France) mustard eg Dijon.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Should be but sadly isnt, i even asked the manager about it, yes she does speak English, sorry no have she said, can you get some, sorry nobody want was her reply.

Strange that. I don't know who buys it here. Not the farmers that's for sure. This is in lower Petchabun, not a tourist area.

36 minutes ago, Finlaco said:

@ravipthanks for the quick reply.  It would be very useful and helpful if i was looking for Instant yeast.   Since you have mastered google so well, do a search "whats the difference between Active-dry yeast and Instant yeast"

Keep safe

Thank you. I hope you find your product very soon.

Incidentally, I am feeling very happy that even a thread like this provide some humour in the morning.

Keep safe, indeed!

12 minutes ago, Finlaco said:

@colinneil can you recall if its their own brand or they just stock it?

It is called Saf instant, Made by S.I.l. Lesaffre, imported from France, i buy the one hundred and twenty five gram packets about 70 baht.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finlaco said:

@colinneil Thanks.  If you  know how to take a photo and upload it, here, that would be great.  No problem, if ur a luddite.   

keep safe

Me post a photo, you are surely having a laugh, ask Crossy about that, completely computer illiterate mate thats me.

OP, I use to buy fresh yeast in Foodland the past 3 years, unfortunately they close down the bakeries in Foodland about a month ago. I am still baking my bread every 2 - 3 days. Use only sourdough made my self and keep it in a fridge. My sourdough is now 3 years old. Feed it once a week and is very active because of the wild yeast in it. I use instant yeast only for cakes.