Pink ID card for expats

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Has anyone been told that they MUST be married to get Yellow Book/Pink Card. My Amphur, Bang Rakam insists it is necessary even though Ubon Joe amongst others, says that it is not.

How do I or my GF convince the official he is wrong?

She asked me :

do you have work permit ?

I said:  no ,   Any other way ? 
she said again

work permit 

????????????????

Edited by The Theory

2 minutes ago, The Theory said:

She asked me :

do you have work permit ?

I said:  no ,   Any other way ? 
she said again

work permit 

????????????????

Obviously ‘she’ [The Amphur officer] is wrong. 

Be tactful, but tell her she is wrong, registration into a Yellow House Book does not rely on visa status, work status or marital status...  Ultimately, it just requires the permission of the ‘house owner’ and a few other documents (translations) which require some minor leg work to obtain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently when buying family groceries in Big C, the cashier stopped mid-scan and advised that if we split our purchases into two separate ones we could take advantage of two discounts instead of just one. The savings would be a couple of hundred baht or so. Mrs. Shrdlu had already given her phone number to the cashier as she had a membership. I did not have a membership but the cashier said I could start one if I took my passport over to the customer service counter and opened one. Not being accustomed to immigration checks between my residence and the local Big C, I did not have my passport with me. The proffered driving license was waived away by the customer service person. The pink card was happily accepted. No idea why since the name, number and address are the same on both the DL and PC.

12 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Recently when buying family groceries in Big C, the cashier stopped mid-scan and advised that if we split our purchases into two separate ones we could take advantage of two discounts instead of just one. The savings would be a couple of hundred baht or so. Mrs. Shrdlu had already given her phone number to the cashier as she had a membership. I did not have a membership but the cashier said I could start one if I took my passport over to the customer service counter and opened one. Not being accustomed to immigration checks between my residence and the local Big C, I did not have my passport with me. The proffered driving license was waived away by the customer service person. The pink card was happily accepted. No idea why since the name, number and address are the same on both the DL and PC.

At my Tesco, they always split into two lots and accept the same Clubcard for each. Your cashier was probably on a small bonus for getting YOU to register.

• Like 1

Just Find Out Yellow Book WRITTEN Requirements from Your Municipality.

If a long list ( >5) my advice is to forget it......it will be hell ....like mine was....

If only4-5 simple things then process will be easy and resultant Pink ID after YB easy in ALL cases...... be advised YB / ID confers ZERO Significant Material Advantages.... just psychological benefit of feeling maximally invested here.

you do NOT need to be married....YB is “ Foreigner House Registration” using Alien Reg. No.

Get Muny to give Actual Printed List of YB Qualifiers never take any Verbal BS (Obstacles)&  dont argue just ask politely to see YB List or Deputy Mayor (start of my YB process anyway) .

Important DO take a Thai Witness for Initial & Continuing Muny Visitation.... 

Glad to hear so many good posts about the pink card,my wife persuaded me to get one a couple of years ago ,it was very well accepted when i was addmited to hospital last year,my bills were quite low and my meds compared to outside are a pittance for 3 months supply, also registered on mor prom and got vacinated with az 5 weeks ago , works for me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HampiK said:

have you received your Tax no before you become your yellow book?
because this could be maybe a reason that this are different. I had the yellow book first, and then gone for a tax no.. and for me this numbers are equal.

I have my company tax ID but now am considering the advantages of a Yellow Book. As I have property in both Rayong Province and Chonburi , I am wondering if one may be easier than the other . I realize it is the local amphur I have to visit / apply !

Some places they give you the run around and put as many obstacles as they can in the way to discourage you yet others appear to be relatively straightforward and my understanding is that it is a legal right to obtain one if one is resident . I have been told one needs the approval of at least two Thai neighbours to vouch for you .  I'm getting used to being given the "run around" here in order to get anything that is legal and normally straightforward done !!  

On 7/15/2021 at 9:40 AM, HampiK said:

The problem is mostly to receive the yellow book, and this depends on amphur. Some very easy to receive them other deny.

Additional an Pink ID is not always helping for registration a vaccine. It can help but no guarantee! Never forget this is Thailand and there are no strict rules. Some are lucky other are not. I still believe it's better to have an ID than not. Neeram told in another topic a TaxID also would help, as this is a 13 digit number as well, and if you have a yellow book mostly it's the same number! But also with this TaxID... at some place easy to receive other place impossible.

It’s helped me over the years 1st AZ vaccine completed , Thai price at my local dentist, discount on the Seatran Ferry 

can walk into any car showroom and purchase a vehicle without the hassle of going to immigration for a letter and I can travel anywhere in Thailand using it while my passport is secured in my safe ( I do carry a picture on my mobile of my PP just in case ) and when I do my yearly extension of stay I provide a copy of it as well as my yellow book best 250 baht I ever spent and due to my age it’s for life no need to renew took me all of 60 minutes. To get it my next AZ is 1st October at 2 pm all I have to show is my pink ID and be polite “ Happy Days “

• Like 2

11 hours ago, XtraFly said:

Please note, we live in N.E. Thailand not Phuket or Suomi where you get preferential treatment.

Please help me understand what do you mean by this, I'm thinking to move from Los Angeles to Phuket in the next 6-9 months.

He doesn't mean anything I suspect because he doesn't live there.

There was talk of foreigners receiving their jabs faster in these places, but only because the government wanted everybody on these islands jabbed for the rollout of their sandbox program.

Yeah sure. Get one if it's easy. But 99% of people I know here are not eligible..married, property,  kids etc. They own, rent condos or villas, have informal marriages and try  and try and  live a bureaucracy  free life as possible.  I've  never met a person with pink ID here or ever heard it discussed except until recently about vaccine s...

16 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

It’s helped me over the years 1st AZ vaccine completed , Thai price at my local dentist, discount on the Seatran Ferry 

can walk into any car showroom and purchase a vehicle without the hassle of going to immigration for a letter and I can travel anywhere in Thailand using it while my passport is secured in my safe ( I do carry a picture on my mobile of my PP just in case ) and when I do my yearly extension of stay I provide a copy of it as well as my yellow book best 250 baht I ever spent and due to my age it’s for life no need to renew took me all of 60 minutes. To get it my next AZ is 1st October at 2 pm all I have to show is my pink ID and be polite “ Happy Days “

What's a Yellow book?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What's a Yellow book?

The yellow book is the house book. The name come from it's yellow cover, opposed to the blue book (for Thais).

Actually everybody who rent or buy should be able to register in one yellow (foreigner) or blue book (Thai). You even can put in your children, wife or everybody else who life in same house/condo.

For rent you only need the additional approval of the house/condo owner. But as you probably already read, some amphur makes it difficult to obtain one. It should have nothing to do if you married, retired and/or work.

I used the pink ID number to register for vaccination, and when I went for my first jab they asked to see the Pink ID only.

Also use it to check in to hotels and for banking - although they sometimes ask to see a copy of my passport too, just to check the English spelling of my name.

23 minutes ago, HampiK said:

The yellow book is the house book. The name come from it's yellow cover, opposed to the blue book (for Thais).

Actually everybody who rent or buy should be able to register in one yellow (foreigner) or blue book (Thai). You even can put in your children, wife or everybody else who life in same house/condo.

For rent you only need the additional approval of the house/condo owner. But as you probably already read, some amphur makes it difficult to obtain one. It should have nothing to do if you married, retired and/or work.

If I can pay an agent to get me one I'll go for it but I don't fancy running around chasing paperwork at government offices.  As you can see from my other thread just getting a Thai  driving licence seems difficult  for me at the moment.