"No one is safe until everyone is safe" - Aussie couple highlight foreigners facing vaccine trouble in Thailand

webfact

20 hours ago, mancub said:

All  Thai citizens can get registered and in the system for vaccination appointments. 

I am not sure you are correct there, some links to back up that statement would be nice, i know of a few Thais that are unable to get on a waiting list.

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've read it already and as I thought, you can't quote anything about foreigners in the Constitution. 

It talks about discrimination against any Thai citizen on the grounds of their ethnicity or race. 

The Thai Constitution is the law of the land of which everyone is equal under the law. According to "your opinion" that "I can't quote anything about foreigners in the Constitution" means (according to you) it doesn't apply to foreigners and we can do as we darn well please with no accountability.

Seriously, you should think before you speak...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Your as well as everyone else are entitled to their own opinion(s). I have been making this statement for several months and oddly enough you are the only person that thinks otherwise. Many western countries have been hard pressing the government for a fair and equitable vaccination program here and the matter is now being addressed in the US Congress. You want to make claims about "the US in particular" even though Thai nationals residing in the US were and are treated no different than US citizens.

My opinions are based on the facts not emotions.

I don't post comments for debate, I post them to expose the truth, not the façade of the alternate truth which seems to run rampant like the Corona Virus here.

No further reply from you is necessary as I simply don't care, period...

Rather arrogant response. 

A reply from me is necessary to point out the untruths that you post.

19 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Other than blatant racism and segregation, there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever that any foreign national should be turned away from any vaccination location at anytime to register and/or be vaccinated in Thailand. No one should be told, overhear or see signs with the words “THAI ONLY”. We are all equal and everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect

I'll ask again as you seem to be avoiding this question.

How can it be 'racism' when ethnic farang like me are not turned away, or ethnic Chinese and Indian Thais are not discriminated against? 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

The Thai Constitution is the law of the land of which everyone is equal under the law. According to "your opinion" that "I can't quote anything about foreigners in the Constitution" means (according to you) it doesn't apply to foreigners and we can do as we darn well please with no accountability.

Every citizen, it doesn't include foreigners, and it's not my opinion, it's fact. 

Before posting untruths and false assumption from the Thai Constitution, I suggest you read it. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'll ask again as you seem to be avoiding this question.

How can it be 'racism' when ethnic farang like me are not turned away, or ethnic Chinese and Indian Thais are not discriminated against? 

It's toxic nationalism.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Don't know what all the fuss is about. You die you die. You live you live. Isn't that every day life? Chicken Little syndrome . There should be a shot for that. 

Well if you don’t mind dying consider for every death there are about ten cases of long term covid disease.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

I am not sure you are correct there, some links to back up that statement would be nice, i know of a few Thais that are unable to get on a waiting list.

Why would they be unable ? Do they not have a Thai citizen ID, or they haven't got smart phone nor can physically get to a hospital ? Perhaps you could assist them ? 

2 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Don't know what all the fuss is about. You die you die. You live you live. Isn't that every day life? Chicken Little syndrome . There should be a shot for that. 

Fair enough... You’ve never want to be accused of having ‘chicken little syndrome’ when making attempts to protect your health... would you ????? :coffee1:

..... I assume you don’t wear seatbelts in a car, you’ve never received any other vaccinations, you’ve never taken antibiotics, you’ve never been to a hospital...  why would you, only ‘chicken littles’ do that, right ?

The concerning thing about your post is that you and people who think like you live amongst the rest of us, that is greatly concerning considering people of such a flawed mindset use the same roads !

1 hour ago, J Town said:

Do you mean "pedantic?"  (That knife cuts both ways) ????

No, I meant pedantry, although pedantic would also suffice.

ped·ant·ry

/ˈped(ə)ntrē/

noun: pedantry; plural noun: pedantries

1. excessive concern with minor details and rules.
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

No, I meant pedantry, although pedantic would also suffice.

ped·ant·ry

/ˈped(ə)ntrē/

1. excessive concern with minor details and rules.

You used it as an adjective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J Town said:

Do you mean "pedantic?"  (That knife cuts both ways) ????

No, I meant pedantry, although pedantic would suffice.

ped·ant·ry

/ˈped(ə)ntrē/

1. excessive concern with minor details and or rules

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

You can also find ‘somewhere’ (I have read it but can’t recall where) how Dual Pricing is against he law in Thailand. 

The reality is that the constitution and laws are all good - the issue is no one enforces them with any degree of equality or fairness thus rending many of the laws somewhat irrelevant. 

You can argue that the manner in which the current vaccination roll out is discriminatory and you could well be correct - but that is not going to help foreigners get vaccines any quicker. 

More specifically, there is no xenophobia for excessive nationalism regarding eh vaccine roll out for foreigners, not that I see it.  What I have seen is utter incompetence, many many Thai’s have also been left behind - the reality is a general indifference to ‘everyone’ until a spotlights are shone on certain facets of the roll out and someone in a position of decision making power is forced to respond or act. 

Meanwhile many foreigners complain they can’t get a vaccine and fail to recognise that those very Thai’s they are living next door are also in the same situation. 

Before complaining, first find out if the Thai’s next to you can get vaccines or not, find out how they got vaccines and do your best to follow suit (i.e. get yourself into the Thai system). 

IF someone does not want to register for a Thai Tax ID (or yellow house book) then they don’t really have a strong right to complain - they are making their choice.

IF a foreigner is unable to get a Thai Tax ID for some reason then there are other options available (i.e. MedPark) which for some involves some travel, but ultimately probably less time that some have spent on forums complaining.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pracha Duang said:

There are many Thais that would happily forfeit their place in the "vaccine line" to wanting foreigners. My wife and I were both educated at Stanford University in the USA and want nothing to do with the vaccine. I would get it if forced but my wife, who is Thai  ( IQ 200+++) , would rather die than get the jab. The Thai government should set something up so that Thai citizens can transfer their right to vaccination to anyone that wants it regardless of where they come from.

Well ive had a vaccine, it was fine.

There is anything up to 1 in 3 million chance of having complications from a vaccination.

And only had to take that chance ONCE.

However, You take the risk of catching covid EVERY time you walk out your door in Thailand,

and a vaccine will largely prevent any infection from becoming fatal.

(I havent got a 200++++ IQ but even i can work that out)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Before complaining, first find out if the Thai’s next to you can get vaccines or not, find out how they got vaccines and do your best to follow suit (i.e. get yourself into the Thai system). 

In fact I have many Thai friends that have been vaccinated already, and a few others (including my GF) that are refusing to take Sinovac. The friends (Thai) that have been vaccinated received their jabs at two different locations in Bangkok. Those locations DO NOT accept foreigners, period.

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

No, I meant pedantry, although pedantic would suffice.

ped·ant·ry

/ˈped(ə)ntrē/

1. excessive concern with minor details and or rules

You used it in the form of an adjective.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You don't get it. Delta is here. No isolation is perfect. If you're not vaccinated it's not IF you will get infected, it's WHEN. Of course vaccinated people get infected too, but they have protection against severe case (but some vaccines are much better than others). 

I just booked for a jab tonight. So I won't be waiting until October or later for anything and I never intended to IF I could get anything earlier. 

So i take it @Jingthing that you signed up for MedPark in BKK ?

I looked at the form and didn’t see any indication of which vaccines are available but I didn’t fill it in so maybe that info comes after.

So, did you get acknowledgment of which vaccine you will get ? and if not how would you feel if you traveled and they told you only Sinovac available ??

Genuine questions, not trying to bait .

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So i take it @Jingthing that you signed up for MedPark in BKK ?

I looked at the form and didn’t see any indication of which vaccines are available but I didn’t fill it in so maybe that info comes after.

So, did you get acknowledgment of which vaccine you will get ? and if not how would you feel if you traveled and they told you only Sinovac available ??

Genuine questions, not trying to bait .

Yes. 

I well understand the difference between a sincere good faith query and an acusatory insulting hostile bait designed to collect ammunition for personal attacks and to further an obnoxious false narrative about all expats that have failed to secure jabs.

I'm happy to respond to the former. 

Yes I have a booking at MedPark. 

No the confirmation  does not mention brand. 

I would feel unhappy to be offered Sinovac vs. AstraZeneca but I would still take it.

Another member suggested that if they give Sinovac for the first dose they might use AstraZeneca for the second. Controversial to be sure but would offer better protection. 

Yes another member suggests some confidence that MedPark will use AstraZeneca for people over 60. I hope he's right but I think that objectively it's fair to say there aren't any assurances of that.

I will add that there is bad news today that might make travel to Bangkok very problematic. There has been an announcement of 14 day curfews if coming from a deep red zone as is Bangkok. So at this point I have no idea if drivers would be even be willing to provide service under such extreme conditions. Will have to watch for details on how exactly this is or isn't being enforced.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Meanwhile many foreigners complain they can’t get a vaccine and fail to recognise that those very Thai’s they are living next door are also in the same situation.

Indeed, I am Thai and can't get a vaccine, yet you are not and can ????

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

The distribution of vaccines to foreigners is not based on whether one can or cannot speak Thai. You're still a foreigner to them even if you can speak Thai.

I spoke Thai to the officers in the vaccination booths but was told that only Thai citizens can get the vaccines first. This is in several places and not just one place. 

I even helped foreigners who can't speak Thai communicate with the people doing the registration.

As I have said, it's a loophole in the Morprom app of allowing people with pink cards through. 

you mentioned a loophole in the mor prom before ,what loophole? its always been available for us who bothered to get pink cards ,and is not a loophole.

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Only by 5 years. 

Irrelevant. The priority risk group starts at 60. From any kind of medical ethics POV all people living in Thailand in that group should have been treated the same regardless of nationality. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

you mentioned a loophole in the mor prom before ,what loophole? its always been available for us who bothered to get pink cards ,and is not a loophole.

That depends on whether the designers releazed that some foreigners had Thai numbers or not. If not, it was kind of a loophole.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Irrelevant. The priority risk group starts at 60. From any kind of medical ethics POV all people living in Thailand in that group should have been treated the same regardless of nationality. 

Maybe, its scandalous that my younger French neighbour has been done at the pribatr hospital near my home and they told me to <deleted> off.