Thailand's national parks introduce barbecue ban

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that the head of Thailand National Parks Thanya Netthammakul had issued an order banning visitors from cooking food that produces smoke in tent and other accommodation areas. 

This the media interpreted as a barbecue ban. 

The order is being introduced to stop annoyance to other visitors and to prevent such food preparation attracting wild animals who come and look for food and cause damage to property and possibly other dangers. 

It was introduced on July 2nd and is effective from now onwards. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-16

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

In tents and other accommodation areas? Sure, you never cook in a tent anyway. But how do you cook without smoke out in the nature? Bring an electric stove? Go to the restaurant? This doesn't sound well thought through.

Edited by MikeyIdea

What are they talking about? What annoyance to other visitors at tent areas? Why would other visitors visit tent areas other than camping themselves? How many people camping do not barbecue or cook food without making some smoke? No one does. It's the whole charm with camping.

Considering camping in Thailand has become a very popular way of holiday among Thais in recent years, this isn't going to be received well, especially considering the vast majority of camping areas in Thailand are in national parks.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Never understood the obsession with BBQ's..........................especially in your own backyard, 10m from a perfectly good kitchen,

In your own backyard, 10m from a perfectly good kitchen, in a national park?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HOAX said:

This is in their own backyard, in a national park?

Yes, it is, in Colorado, you can see the logs that separate the property of the house from the camping boundaries.  Caretakers house on the NP land.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Just now, Surelynot said:

English not your first language?

No it's not, but the article is referring to national parks. Not sure what people's backyards has to do with national parks, unless you live in a house with some special permission to build a house in a national park, but maybe you have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOAX said:

No it's not, but the article is referring to national parks. Not sure what people's backyards has to do with national parks, unless you live in a house with some special permission to build a house in a national park, but maybe you have.

You are strange.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, it is

Ok, I wasn't aware that was allowed. Just remember reading several times about the government removing properties illegally built in national parks.

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

In tents and other accommodation areas? Sure, you never cook in a tent anyway. But how do you cook without smoke out in the nature? Bring an electric stove? Go to the restaurant? This doesn't sound well thought through.

Going by all the stupidity I have seen here during the last 3 years, I would put "BBQing inside a tent past any of these people...

Just now, HOAX said:

Ok, I wasn't aware that was allowed. Just remember reading several times about the government removing properties illegally built in national parks.

My post was a little off topic unfortunately, yet there are houses that abut the National Parks in the north as well as in Khao Sok 

https://www.khaosokaccommodation.com/accommodation/

3 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Going by all the stupidity I have seen here during the last 3 years, I would put "BBQing inside a tent past any of these people...

Not BBQ'ing as such, but as a 14 yo did try cooking on a gas stove inside a two-man tent, it was raining.

Bit slow between turning the gas on and striking the match........oh boy!!!!!

Edited by Surelynot
  • Haha 2

national park offices do rent ceramic stoves for cooking and bbq.

they do also sell charcoal.

This order is short of forcing campers to bring their own gas cookers, but they are bulky and heavy and not as attractive for bbq as charcoal. Some will be forced to buy ready food from vendors - and be at mercy of monopolistic policies at tourist areas, with money being directed to park officials. 

charcoal produces a very little smoke and smell, it's not offending in the open space. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Ok, I guess some have been granted with special permissions, while others have not.

It depends who you are, and once out of the circle of influence you must watch out as what has happened to others may happen to you.  A place we used to stay in up on Khao Yai was built half in the park and half off, the cabins were ordered demolished as well as anew residence the owner had built for a foreigner.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

It depends who you are, and once out of the circle of influence you must watch out as what has happened to others may happen to you.  A place we used to stay in up on Khao Yai was built half in the park and half off, the cabins were ordered demolished as well as anew residence the owner had built for a foreigner.

Remember years ago driving through Khao Yai.......quite a few half-built houses.......obviously going to rack and ruin.........how on earth did they ever think they could get away with building inside the park??????

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, HOAX said:

In your own backyard, 10m from a perfectly good kitchen, in a national park?

Actually where we live, the Mae Wong national park is literally the other side of the back fence, about 250 metres from the house. There is nothing there except trees, hills and jungle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, connda said:

That fits Agenda 2030.  Pretty soon the commoners will simply not be allowed into the reserves of the elites.

Up next.  "Grilling a marshmallow will be punishable by a 50,000 THB fine and two years in prison."

Welcome to clown-world.

God forbid putting it on a Graham Cracker with chocolate to make a Smore, they would be boiled in oil by the Hi-So elite.  

Re-reading the OP and the article it makes it sound like no barbeques at all, be it the propane gas ones or the charcoal.  It must still be ok to have the backpacking style ones to heat water on.  Last time we went camping here in Khao Yai we pitched the tent I had brought from the US with my other backpacking gear when we woke the next morning there were tents surrounding us, and when we left the area it looked like a garbage dump.  What is wrong with these people, you pack it in and you pack it out.  No wonder the streams, creeks, and rivers are full of trash, just like their front yards.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MayBeNow said:

You are the weirdo here mate, for attacking someone for not being a native English speaker. I aint either. But without a doubt you only speak 1 language, so stop complaining.

What the hell has it got to do with you?

63 posts....ha.....you can butt out.

Plus the fact I speak four languages (and have three degrees to boot)

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2