Protest on Beach Road?

champers

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm sure they helped themselves before torching the place.

The people participating in the red-shirt uprising were being paid, not the same as a political movement.  I have little doubt that during the time of the occupation of Ratchadamri some of those tourists went inside and helped themselves.  The arsons, which went on into the night, appear to have been discretely targeted, particularly toward a certain bank, and certain cinemas.  Cinemas?  Da Boss's father was in the cinema business back home in Chiang Mai, so I take it those arsons were the result of something personal.  The area I was staying in at the time apparently had a black-shirt barracks nearby, I'd see them being dispatch in the back of covered pickup trucks.

Across the street from CW is Gaysorn, a luxury mall selling overpriced foreign stuff.  I heard there was looting there the day the doodoo hit the fan, but I would guess that the stores had ample time to get the merchandise out of there.

lastpictureshow2.jpg.f290381bd783690e32f915e72584b0cd.jpg

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Do you have any proof to backup your assertions, or are you just going to continue doubling down instead of admitting you may have been a bit OTT?

Feel free to post some proof it didn't happen, or will you continue to double down on the absurd notion that nothing was stolen during the break ins on these commercial premises during those protests?  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Feel free to post some proof it didn't happen, or will you continue to double down on the absurd notion that nothing was stolen during the break ins on these commercial premises during those protests?  

That's what I thought.

Carry on in your normal vein.

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

That's what I thought.

Carry on in your normal vein.

As it was quiet long ago, a quick google search reveals articles from the print media that we are not allowed to post links for here.

Google for it.

Are you really so naive to think so much damage and destruction was caused, yet protesters stole nothing?   

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, bendejo said:

The people participating in the red-shirt uprising were being paid, not the same as a political movement.  I have little doubt that during the time of the occupation of Ratchadamri some of those tourists went inside and helped themselves.  The arsons, which went on into the night, appear to have been discretely targeted, particularly toward a certain bank, and certain cinemas.  Cinemas?  Da Boss's father was in the cinema business back home in Chiang Mai, so I take it those arsons were the result of something personal.  The area I was staying in at the time apparently had a black-shirt barracks nearby, I'd see them being dispatch in the back of covered pickup trucks.

Across the street from CW is Gaysorn, a luxury mall selling overpriced foreign stuff.  I heard there was looting there the day the doodoo hit the fan, but I would guess that the stores had ample time to get the merchandise out of there.

lastpictureshow2.jpg.f290381bd783690e32f915e72584b0cd.jpg

No argument from me.  People were paid, the same way they are paid to vote here.

Point is, commercial premises were looted.  Strangely, some members seem to thing they weren't.  

This time, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Thai people who are hungry, desperate, and with nothing to lose, and given a spark to ignite the flame, could resort to rioting and looting, such is the disappointment and injustice they feel from the Thai government's inaction, and lack of compassion.

With several more months of lock down ahead, there could be a boil over.     

On 7/17/2021 at 4:49 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes, there are stirrings.

Not exactly surprising. 

Similar things are happening in many countries.

But we're not Thai (except for the one member) so:

we see nothing

we know nothing

we say nothing

Succincitly put Sir.

COVID lockdowns, and curfews, while maybe properly motivated, also provide an opportunity for limiting political activity.  The current junta has been in power for quite a long time relative to the time between coups in past Thailand history.  Sadly , more lockdowns and curfews are probably on the horizon.  And with that more economic and emotional stress for millions of Thais.  That rarely ends in quite peaceful changes