Growing Hua Pakad in containers

Anyone help with this?

I really like this veggie but can’t find any info on growing it for some reason! I like container gardening but have plenty of space to make an area for them!

When?

Where?

Seed?

etc…

Any advice appreciated 

70A23E5E-B3DA-42BC-BE01-F39146112DA5.jpeg

Looks like daikon. You can usually come up with latin names for plants if you look at thai language posts about it. Easy to double check then if it is in fact daikon, and there should be plenty of growing info on line.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, islandguy said:

Looks like daikon. You can usually come up with latin names for plants if you look at thai language posts about it. Easy to double check then if it is in fact daikon, and there should be plenty of growing info on line.

I think you’re right on this one

… I looked up three different Thai names for this turnip/radish and couldn’t come up with any growing info.

Thanks????

1 hour ago, cooked said:

I bought seeds at BigC. Like all root vegetables, these will need a deep, light, organic soil. Mine isn't that and so they just pushed themselves out of the soil and got gree tops.

I’ll plant in big concrete raised garden beds….so lots of soil

I can control the soil with sand and cow poop!

what do you think?

15 minutes ago, Kanada said:

I’ll plant in big concrete raised garden beds….so lots of soil

I can control the soil with sand and cow poop!

what do you think?

I think that's exactly right. Make sure the poop is ripe and not too much.

5 minutes ago, cooked said:

I think that's exactly right. Make sure the poop is ripe and not too much.

I have been using old dried cow poop so as not to burn…we get it by the bag so not a lot of choices

unders there’s a chicken farm hereabouts but I’m a cow person myself

2 hours ago, cooked said:

I bought seeds at BigC. Like all root vegetables, these will need a deep, light, organic soil. Mine isn't that and so they just pushed themselves out of the soil and got gree tops.

How long until they germinated?

On 7/20/2021 at 12:30 PM, Kanada said:

I have been using old dried cow poop so as not to burn…we get it by the bag so not a lot of choices

unders there’s a chicken farm hereabouts but I’m a cow person myself

How long until they germinated?

Dunno. A week I guess. Get fresh seeds, they deteriorate fast here.

• Like 1

I like to mix soil and amendments together then add some microorganisms and give it a few weeks before planting. Makes a real difference in soil texture. Microorganisms can be the widely available EM, already composted manure, or it is easy to find powdered versions on online or in shops you just sprinkle into the soil. If you don’t want to wait just mix in anyway and you’ll get some benefit now and more later. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2021 at 12:27 AM, islandguy said:

I like to mix soil and amendments together then add some microorganisms and give it a few weeks before planting. Makes a real difference in soil texture. Microorganisms can be the widely available EM, already composted manure, or it is easy to find powdered versions on online or in shops you just sprinkle into the soil. If you don’t want to wait just mix in anyway and you’ll get some benefit now and more later. 

Hi and sorry for the up. Do they need some special climate conditions? Is the small greenhouse the option in this case? I tried to grove tomatoes but unsuccesfully(used similar greenhouse at backyard's shadow side)