Am I a homophobe?

19 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day I used to enjoy watching "It ain't half hot mum"

Am I a dinosaur?

I am 30 and had never heard of 'It ain't half hot Mum' before. Zoomers that I meet in their early 20s call me old. Make of that what you will.

Back in the day, when I was a nipper, me and my dear old Grandmother used to watch Top Of The Pops together 

"That's just shouting!"
"That's not much of a frock she's wearing"
Anyway, that, and making the use of her bus pass on the way to the swimming baths kept my dear old Grandmother in touch with The Modern World

If only I had a bus pass!

Youtube is too ready a resource for real music from back in the day

• Like 2

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

You are what you are and you think what you think.

The question is more: Do you care if anybody puts that label "homophobe" on you?

I am worried that the label might spoil my jacket.
Also, that my future as a Hollywood movie star or a politician might be affected.
I am not sure that people's career should be affected by their opinion on controversial subjects, even if they express it.

Maybe I think too much, and I should trust my Big Brother.

SC

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Also, that my future as a Hollywood movie star or a politician might be affected.

That is obviously a big issue.

First thing you should fast move away from Thailand and make sure you have an excuse ready why you ever were here in case someone finds out. ; ) 

No you are not homophobic if you laugh at gay jokes, not racists if you laugh at ethnic jokes, not agist if you laugh at old people jokes, not heightest if you laugh at height jokes, or fattist is you laugh at wobble bottom jokes.

It's the latest generation that have all the psychological and woke issues !

Out of interest, whilst stuck in the UK I have been buying up all the old comedy gold shows on DVD where we laughed at all of the above. The DVD releases will be the last chance to get them without being heavily cut in future releases.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Theresa May was hardly Miss Brexit.
What are you going to do?

There's no point being negative

I'm positive because I was happy for my family in UK getting Boris elected.

Theresa May would still be running through the wheat fields and just recently she voted against reducing money sent to other countries when people in UK are having to rely on food banks. 

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I've ever worried about what other people are doing.

Sadly, it's not about what other people are doing, but what third parties are thinking,

Back in the day, I got to the pub a little bit late for the Calcutta Cup, but I knew the score, I think, and I asked my English mate, by way of a wind-up
"How's it going?"
"The referee's bent as a nine-bob note", he complained, which I correctly interpreted was a complaint about his partiality, possibly what with him being Welsh, but out of mischeviousness I said "Ye cannae say that just 'cause he's a shirt-lifter", to which my friend replied, and a group of young English blokes to beside of us seemed all set to offer him outside, to their grave peril.

I am lucky that I have few unpleasant opinions, but I would  not like to see my acquaintances set about by young louts on the strength of their quaintly old-fashioned viewpoints (or some misinterpretation thereof).

Perhaps we need to deal with the woke and mammals and the like amongst us before it gets out of hand.  1984 was a fairly horrific read, but 1984 cane after 1983, when it was already too late to deal with the problem.

SC

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Theresa May would still be running through the wheat fields and just recently she voted against reducing money sent to other countries when people in UK are having to rely on food banks. 

How would reducing foreign aid increase the benefits devoted to food banks?
For all that people talk about swings and roundabouts, they are not swings and roundabouts.

Foreign aid and domestic assistance are not two sides of the same coin and are not related.

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I am lucky that I have few unpleasant opinions, but I would  not like to see my acquaintances set about by young louts on the strength of their quaintly old-fashioned viewpoints (or some misinterpretation thereof).

I very rarely offer opinions in person.

Best to keep your mouth shut, nod your head, and just agree with anything anyone says.

• Like 1

The victim card is often played by people who perceive themselves to be in a minority group in a vein attempt to scramble out of a loosing situation of their own design. 

It happens with racism, with sexism and with sexuality and personal identity - ’some’ are looking so intently for anything they can be outraged at they dilute the genuine issues. 

On an individual level I’m completely indifferent to the whatever, however or whoever of a person until they act out or we cross paths and if they chose to play the ‘victim card’ thats on them because I have enough confidence in my own indifference towards whatever plight they perceive I know I am not ‘anything ‘ist’ or ‘obic’ !!!! 

On a greater scale there are a minority outrageously poisonous people who’s voices are heard because of the nature of their content, not because of the support they have. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Foreign aid and domestic assistance are not two sides of the same coin and are not related

Disagree they wanted their independence they've got it, now charity should begin at home.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Disagree they wanted their independence they've got it, now charity should begin at home.

"should"; I love that word.  "Should" have a living wage; "should" have full employment. "Should" share the money that we save.

As if that is what the oligarchs and kleptocrats paid for.

You guys will be lucky if it is me leading the revolution, whichever side you are on 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I'm still trying to work out what the hell this post is about!

Excellent!  There is no subst...
OK, there are substitutes, but nonetheless, perseverance is admirable, and more character-building than salty porridge and cold showers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

The foreign aid budget is percentage based so it had already reduced in line with the fall in GDP. And don't forget that Boris was elected on a manifesto that pledged to keep it at 0.7% so your family voted for that level of aid.

2 minutes ago, kimamey said:

The foreign aid budget is percentage based so it had already reduced in line with the fall in GDP. And don't forget that Boris was elected on a manifesto that pledged to keep it at 0.7% so your family voted for that level of aid.

We can't expect politicians to live in a past of manifestos and pledges that were made to the electorate.
They have to live in the here and now of opportunity and bonanza.  Their friends and employers expect nothing less.

• Haha 1

I have to say I used to enjoy "It ain't half hot mum" as well and probably still would. It relied heavily on stereotypes as did "Allo Allo" but it applied as much to the English or British as anyone else and probably more in many cases.

I'm all for tolerance and against racism homophobia and other prejudices but I do worry that sometimes people are their own worst enemy when they try to find the smallest thing to complain about.

• Like 2