I caught a thief, i bashed a thief, but now i feel sorry for him

BestB

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

What strikes me as weird is that, all of as sudden, people seem to believe that there can be an excuse for breaking, entering and stealing form someone's property.

Kudos to the O.P for improving the eduction of that lowlife.

I havent seen any posters suggestion that stealing is the right thing to do , although posters seem to think that attacking youngsters is also not the right think to do 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Would you like CCTV footage to put your expert mind of boredom and fiction at ease?

Yes please. ????????

Either post the footage her or send to my Inbox. ????????????????????????????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

We are yet to hear why the OP went to jail 3 times.

My three:  Pissing in public, J walking ( slightly intoxicated and a bad attitude ), and tipping over a portajohn while my friend (not now) was in it.  Never had to use my fists like the OP while in jail.  Not too hard and the only one I'm ashamed of is the J Walking with a bad attitude.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, atpeace said:

My three:  Pissing in public, J walking ( slightly intoxicated and a bad attitude ), and tipping over a portajohn while my friend (not now) was in it.  Never had to use my fists like the OP while in jail.  Not too hard and the only one I'm ashamed of is the J Walking with a bad attitude.

Did you just get arrested for those offences or did a Court sentence you to jail time ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Personally I feel that this thread stinks of lockdown boredom and fiction... or at least embellishment of the truth.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's my view.

Yes, and as for the "ladyboyish" nature of things..........hmmm

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Did you just get arrested for those offences or did a Court sentence you to jail time ?

Sound like misdemeanors to me. Maybe he was held in a cell until he sobered up?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The thread has forked.... 

One aspect - Jail 3x in separate countries - raises eyebrows - its not normal, but its not really the topic.

Second aspect: You caught a thief, you belted him about and now feel guilty. 

You are human - thats about it. 

I don’t see anything wrong in giving a thief a bit of a slap, you have not caused permanent damage. Police would have done very little and he’d be back again. This way, this thief will think twice about his actions. Your response have well have protected others from from losing money and valuables they desperately need. 

As far as helping the thief: No good deed goes unpunished. Unfortunately kindness may be perceived as guilt or weakness. If you want to return the thief's item, just leave them on the road in front of your house - he’ll pass by (ride by if he has a bike) and pick them up at some point. Or he’ll be too scared to come anywhere near your house in which case you have done what you need to do and protect your belongings. 

It was his place of work , rather than his house . 

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Arrested on the spot.  Almost in the spot in the case of the portajohn.  Thought I could outrun a couple of police on horseback.  That lasted about a minute and scared the <deleted> out of me. Never ran next to a horse - dam intimidating.  I remember the police laughing - we could hear my friend screaming as they rocked the portajohn back and forth to get it on its side so he could get out   Tumbling around in the muck  must have been terrible.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Its also quite unlikely you would even get arrested for pissing in public let alone get jailed for it , unless you were provocatively pissing in public , like pissing on something to make a point , rather than doing it discretely 

• Haha 1

I always find it so comical that some people travel across the globe and become so scared of their own shadow... they think any negative interaction with a local will lead to weaponised death !!!!

How would he know if a knife or gun was being carried?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

All misdemeanors except this pissing in public.  That disappeared from my record after a couple years.  Something with it being a sexual offence but the courts corrected the classification.

I wish I would have been better behaved during the J walking but the others were never a concern.  If the police didn't have horses, a police officer wasn't in the same dark alley as me ( he was probably pissing also ), and I calmly took the J walking ticket, I would have experienced no jail time.  

1 hour ago, BestB said:

My initial thoughts was it was just a thieving ladyboy, only after knocking him down and seeing him clearly and his bag when i realised it was just a kid(still ladyboyish, which explains why initial thoughts) and a homeless kid, 

What happened in the heat of the moment happened, and the fact that you feel guilty makes you human, not that I am condoning your actions, respectfully, however I wasn't there and can't say how I would react in the same situation, people panic and it sounds like you did.

The above said, not your fault, he/she shouldn't have been there, trespassing and stealing, maybe he/she will think twice next time, regardless of being homeless or not, stealing and trespassing doesn't make it right, there are other avenues.

It's good that you want to find him/her to offer what is on your mind, but I think it best to just leave the bag outside for him/her to find, maybe put a peace offering in it.

You can also go out and about and offer some food or money to some people that need it.

Don't beat yourself up to much about it, like I said, he was at the wrong place and is lucky he didn't get killed. Make this the start of a new beginning and if you do end up seeing him/her then do what makes you feel good to correct the wrong done, if in fact it was wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its also quite unlikely you would even get arrested for pissing in public let alone get jailed for it , unless you were provocatively pissing in public , like pissing on something to make a point , rather than doing it discretely 

They were cracking down on it in the area.  Too many people and not enough places to <deleted> caused problems.  The solution was to make an example out of people.  Also, it was the not categorized as pissing in public. It was a sexual offense until it was reclassified years later.

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:
25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I always find it so comical that some people travel across the globe and become so scared of their own shadow... they think any negative interaction with a local will lead to weaponised death !!!!

How would he know if a knife or gun was being carried?

Lets play a game of ‘ What If '... 

How does he know that the thief doesn’t return with a gang of violent thugs, perhaps a few submachine guns... 

• Like 1

Lets play a game of ‘ What If '... 

How does he know that the thief doesn’t return with a gang of violent thugs, perhaps a few submachine guns... 

What if  is probably a suitable epithet for those who were stabbed when confronting a burglar.

18 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

The OP seems like a decent guy usually I would think people who have been jailed in 3 countries should be barred entry to Thailand. He does have a conscience, and feels remorse. Some people cannot control their violent impulses and need therapy or self-help to improve.

Now, OP has laid in wait.  He committed a violent assault. He didn't get his money back, nor protect himself.

Just because someone "broke into your shop" just doesn't justify violence. Any schoolboy knows two wrongs doesn't make a right. How many more antisocial or criminal acts has the OP committed since being allowed into Thailand? Time for Thailand to demand criminal background checks for all visa types and entries.

Criminal checks would not be a bad idea.  Too many violent foreighners here that I have been unlucky enough to meet.  Been years since I went to bars regularly so this might have changed.  

As for the OP.  I understand your dislike of violence.  What would you do if someone broke into your home?  Then ask yourself what you would do if they did it the next night.  

I would not do what the OP did because the risk of injury or death is too high.  I would light up the shop, get better locks or pull down metal doors, make it obvious someone is home, let the neighbors know...  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

The OP seems like a decent guy usually I would think people who have been jailed in 3 countries should be barred entry to Thailand. He does have a conscience, and feels remorse. Some people cannot control their violent impulses and need therapy or self-help to improve.

Now, OP has laid in wait.  He committed a violent assault. He didn't get his money back, nor protect himself.

Just because someone "broke into your shop" just doesn't justify violence. Any schoolboy knows two wrongs doesn't make a right. How many more antisocial or criminal acts has the OP committed since being allowed into Thailand? Time for Thailand to demand criminal background checks for all visa types and entries.

I agree, too many countries allow their criminals to travel easily (even when being sought). Many countries, I believe, would rather they become a problem somewhere else. 

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its not a case of people being scared of their own shadow , its realising that some Thais resort to extreme violence if you upset them . 

Its not uncommon to hear of locals going on a yabbaed up rampage , killing and burning because they slightly got upset .

The kid may just forget about it , or he may go on a yabba rampage with his gang seeking revenge . 

Anyone who’s been here any length of time can recognise the difference.... 

Some people would have just let the thief return to rob them more....  

I guess had he reported it to the police half of you guys would be suggesting theif would retaliate for the Op ‘grassing him up’....  !!! 

Whatever is posted... such responders (posters replying) will always find holes in the actions of whatever an Op posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Is there something wrong with your basic reading skills or you just trolling for the sake of it? or genuinely a village clown?

Please, i beg you to quote exactly where i said in CCTV i saw a kid

In the first sentence in the O.P you sated that he was caught on CCTV on the previous night . 

Are you saying that you didnt watch the CCTV ?

If so, how would you know that he was "caught on CCTV"

• Like 1