I caught a thief, i bashed a thief, but now i feel sorry for him

BestB

1 hour ago, TimBKK said:

Considering the plight of many Thais - desperation comes to mind - and the apparent fact that you had 24 hours to think about why this person did what he did, no offense but I find your post to be a rather pathetic attempt to make yourself feel better.  Gave the little guy a good bashing did ya and now feeling sad for yourself?  Give me a break.  I hope you feel like s*** to be honest, maybe next time you will think before you act.  

Err, i had 24 hours to think about why thief stole ? please elaborate

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

You did nothing wrong!  Somebody broke into your shop.  What were your options?   Tell the police to do a drive by throughout the night?  I'm surprised he showed up again and why you expected him to but sure you had your reasons.

What I find odd is how much thrill some get in bashing you when they really have zero clue of what went down with the exception of what you told them. 

I knew he would because it was too easy, streets empty, pitch black, no police patrols.

What shocked me though was that he returned at exactly same time

Of course you have clowns who can not read or bored and twist what has been said to what they want was said and then just troll you.

Welcome to Thaivisa ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Criminal checks would not be a bad idea.  Too many violent foreighners here that I have been unlucky enough to meet.  Been years since I went to bars regularly so this might have changed.  

As for the OP.  I understand your dislike of violence.  What would you do if someone broke into your home?  Then ask yourself what you would do if they did it the next night.  

I would not do what the OP did because the risk of injury or death is too high.  I would light up the shop, get better locks or pull down metal doors, make it obvious someone is home, let the neighbors know...  

If somebody broke into my home I would do nothing really until and unless I was backed into a corner and they were assaulting. I certainly don't have any weapons. Other than heavy mag-lite I guess I would have to improvise. Confronting intruders is a bad idea one guy worked with got a mean stroke to the forehead with a dull machete could have been killed. He could have stayed inside his house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone who’s been here any length of time can recognise the difference.... 

Some people would have just let the thief return to rob them more....  

I guess had he reported it to the police half of you guys would be suggesting theif would retaliate for the Op ‘grassing him up’....  !!! 

Whatever is posted... such responders (posters replying) will always find holes in the actions of whatever an Op posts.

and especially with this bs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Nocturnal? Get your point though.  Good chance you would have a general idea of the size but adjusting to inputs when adrenaline is flowing is not that easy for most.

Size? About 175cm tall and skinny. unlikely to be aged 18-20 or would have been in the army, so either under 18 or over 20 but looks young personal opinion

CCTV night vision does not confirm persons age or weight and does not analyze face features to give an idea of who and how old

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BE88 said:

Why do you come here to tell your remorse?

Do you think maybe I would be acquitted or comforted by your mistake.

Think about it one more time, violence and you should have learned it only leads to violence. If he comes back with a weapon to kill you I wouldn't be surprised, many have died for much less.

yes i came for your approval, now you can sleep better?

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

In all honesty now more than ever  i am convinced you are a clown.

I own a business for over 15 year and for the past 2 years have been hit with closure orders for 9 months of 2 years, and in the remaining open months hardly any customers, 

Yes i am broke and yes i have lost everything, you can gloat as much as it pleases you. The difference between you and me though, even though i have lost everything, i am still willing to share whatever i have or do not have.with someone who has even less

Yes my first response is to bash a thief, may be yours is to have a cup of tea and good for you, as i said, please provide your address and will put a sign up for all the thieves where to go

Do you think that the current Covid situation contributed to your actions ?

Was you taking some of your anger and frustrations out on the kid ?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The thread has forked.... 

One aspect - Jail 3x in separate countries - raises eyebrows - its not normal, but its not really the topic.

Second aspect: You caught a thief, you belted him about and now feel guilty. 

You are human - thats about it. 

I don’t see anything wrong in giving a thief a bit of a slap, you have not caused permanent damage. Police would have done very little and he’d be back again. This way, this thief will think twice about his actions. Your response have well have protected others from from losing money and valuables they desperately need. 

As far as helping the thief: No good deed goes unpunished. Unfortunately kindness may be perceived as guilt or weakness. If you want to return the thief's item, just leave them on the road in front of your house - he’ll pass by (ride by if he has a bike) and pick them up at some point. Or he’ll be too scared to come anywhere near your house in which case you have done what you need to do and protect your belongings. 

Yes i left his things outside, not that anything there has any value. Its all still here,  even moved it up the road a little to make it easier for him to collect

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

The OP seems like a decent guy usually I would think people who have been jailed in 3 countries should be barred entry to Thailand. He does have a conscience, and feels remorse. Some people cannot control their violent impulses and need therapy or self-help to improve.

Now, OP has laid in wait.  He committed a violent assault. He didn't get his money back, nor protect himself.

Just because someone "broke into your shop" just doesn't justify violence. Any schoolboy knows two wrongs doesn't make a right. How many more antisocial or criminal acts has the OP committed since being allowed into Thailand? Time for Thailand to demand criminal background checks for all visa types and entries.

One of the countries i was jailed in is Thailand, Never make assumptions based on thin air.;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

If somebody broke into my home I would do nothing really until and unless I was backed into a corner and they were assaulting. I certainly don't have any weapons. Other than heavy mag-lite I guess I would have to improvise. Confronting intruders is a bad idea one guy worked with got a mean stroke to the forehead with a dull machete could have been killed. He could have stayed inside his house.

Understood but I can also understand the OP response.  He is taking a large risk but it is his risk so who am I to judge.  The thief being slapped around is justified and  IMO restrained.  I've been involved in some ugly altercations ( ages ago ) and never was satisfied with the outcome.  Both parties usually loose in some manner.  The OP seems to grasp this now and feels remorse. If he didn't feel remorse I would also not condemn him.  

His story does seem a little far fetched but could very well be completely true. 

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I was arrested once for exactly that, but in a dark alley where the police actually had to shine a torch to see me. I was arrested, released and fined in court at a later date. Not one day of jail time.

The police that caught me, just said don't do it again, that's

way back when they had beat coppers.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In the first sentence in the O.P you sated that he was caught on CCTV on the previous night . 

Are you saying that you didnt watch the CCTV ?

If so, how would you know that he was "caught on CCTV"

If he was caught on CCTV how would i know without watching? that is kind of a silly question. I watched it 100 times, night vision is not clear, cannot see the face. as for your next question why i thought it was a ladyboy? how he walked, but then also a bold head. What was clear was clothing and second night he wore same clothing, biggest giveaway and confirmation was some kind of hand stockings

Just now, 2 is 1 said:

Why kathoey come back? Cant carry all coins in first time? Many holes in this story! Hmmm... yes kathoey .... maybe come back to share one "hole".

sadly he did not have a phone, otherwise you could always call and ask him why he come back to steal again

• Haha 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

You do seem rather proud of that , like its some kind of achievement , just like you seem proud of your violence against the kid  

i am, so when i post something its actually because i know, not because i learned it on a bar stool 

16 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

smacking someone to the ground is not 'offending' someone, in this country it can mean a death sentence. Why do think folks say don't blare your horn at someone when driving. If I was this fool I'd be watching my back for quite a while. Wake up, you're not in toto land anymore lol..

Beyond loss of face of small egos when you assault somebody they can die. Even from a single punch,or falling and hitting the head. Consequences? I have been, when in the US rethinking the carry issue because of dogs mostly. There is a right of self defense there at least.  I myself before a vicious animal or armed criminal.  Would aim for the center of mass.

7 minutes ago, JWRC said:

I cannot work out why you have posted this, it's not like you are a newbie, you have posted many times and after all that you should know what the reactions you are going to get on here. At the end of the day you should do what you feel you want to do, not something based on the Jaundiced opinions of the mighty keyboard warriors. I can't help but feel that you want the attention, if so, you get what you get.

Looking for love in all the wrong places. Why do be have to be so mean - lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Beyond loss of face of small egos when you assault somebody they can die. Even from a single punch,or falling and hitting the head. Consequences? I have been, when in the US rethinking the carry issue because of dogs mostly. There is a right of self defense there at least.  I myself before a vicious animal or armed criminal.  Would aim for the center of mass.

small ego or large, loss of face is serious business here and everywhere. In the states it's called 'dissing' but basically it amounts to the same thing - people believing they've been disrespected..

• Like 1