Backlash over new regulation classifying tampons as a cosmetic product

snoop1130

000_876XD.jpg

Photo by LOIC VENANCE / AFP

There has been some online backlash today (Thursday), soon after the government passed a new regulation which categorises tampons as a cosmetic product, causing the widespread belief that the product, which is a necessity for many menstrual women, would be subject to 30% tax.

Over 550,000 tweets were made bearing the Thai hashtag #TamponsWithoutTax, as of midnight, which is now among the top Twitter trends in Thailand, as the hashtag continues to gaining traction quickly.

“Why do women have to pay?” tweeted @hippoyayee, while the account @Jackhangu said “I am a man but I agreed with no taxes on sanitary napkins. I agree with free sanitary napkins for all women.”

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/backlash-over-new-regulation-taxing-women-for-tampons-at-30-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TomnearCentral said:

Just out of interest, is Toilet paper also categorised as "cosmetics" in Thailand and 30% taxed??

Luxury tax.... 

Save -a-tree.... buy a bum blaster [I'm against deforestation] I like natural better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Reminds me of that old classic

a rich girl uses sanitary towels
a poor girl uses sheets;
but dinah uses nothing at all
see the trail along the streets.

Ah yes, the old vampires tea bag

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Amazing Thailand, just ******* unbelievable.

The definition of cosmetic is 'treatment to improve a persons appearance' 

It would seem the Thai definition is completely different.

Some people might think that a string hanging down south improves the appearance...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

A bit surprised at this ,I thought most Thai women use ST's ,in my rural  area almost impossible to find tampons ,maybe Watson's or Boot's in large towns .

Never seen a tampon adverts on the TV ,just sanitary  towel's adverts. 

Yes tampons can cause Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins. It's often associated with tampon use in young women, Thai women won't take the chance where there is little medical support

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, Crossy said:

Meanwhile in the civilised universe these things are tax free or even just free.

Even baby milk and diapers are taxed.

Essential things shouldn't be taxed.

Thailand has got some really ridiculous tax laws that deter growth.

FACT CHECK

There is no new regulation subjecting tampons to a 30% tax.

From the news article to which a link is given in the OP: 

However, according to Deputy Government Spokesperson Traisulee Traisaranakul and the Excise Department, only the 7% VAT is applied, without any additional tax imposed.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/backlash-over-new-regulation-taxing-women-for-tampons-at-30-in-thailand/

From the same news article:

There has been some online backlash today (Thursday), soon after the government passed a new regulation which categorises tampons as a cosmetic product, causing the widespread belief that the product, which is a necessity for many menstrual women, would be subject to 30% tax.

Source. https://www.thaipbsworld.com/backlash-over-new-regulation-taxing-women-for-tampons-at-30-in-thailand/

Why, then, do many people apparently believe that tampons "would be subject to 30% tax?" Because of misunderstanding of the facts and the spreading of false information in social media and perhaps also in some news publications. That's why.

By the way, the news article cited in the OP does not mention as what tampons were previously categorised. I see this as an example of bad journalism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kickstart said:

A bit surprised at this ,I thought most Thai women use ST's ,in my rural  area almost impossible to find tampons ,maybe Watson's or Boot's in large towns .

Never seen a tampon adverts on the TV ,just sanitary  towel's adverts. 

Never met a Thai women using them, maybe a hi so thing? they can afford the tax.

21 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Many Thai women dont use tampons because they are all virgins

Please check for what tampons are used! Then tell us, what tampons have to do with virgins?