Thailand reports 15,376 new COVID-19 cases, 87 more deaths

webfact

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I live in Bangkok and can get along without needing food from malls.

In fact would not use them if they were open as plenty better alternatives.

Good time to support the street vendors and the zillion of small restaurants.

That's good for you.  I would like a wider selection and help more people to be able to continue their businesses and earn a living.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Today there were 87 deaths in #Thailand

52 males & 35 females

4 foreigners died

Median age is 64 (28-96 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (40)

Deaths reported in 24 provinces

41% died in less than 6 days of diagnosis

5 people died in their homes

MoPH report says 83 Thais and 4 people from Myanmar

Among the other provinces besides Bangkok:

6 each -- Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Pattani

2 each -- Samut Sakhon, Krabi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Ubon Ratchathani, Chachoengsao, Trat, Tak and Suphanburi

and numerous others one each.

By my count, new deaths in 25 different provinces.

1222507968_2021-07-26deaths.jpg.4859532b481814b35c936daa93b5f6aa.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/373180480966949/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Makes sense to me.

There are SO many food outlets in streets etc no need to open Malls.

Makes cents to you makes baht for Mall owners.

I doubt many of the mega rich in Thailand have investments in the street vendor market I would venture that would be driver behind this, gotta keep the investors happy.

• Confused 2

Updated MoPH graphic today shows the widening gap between the growing case counts in Thailand's outlying provinces as a group compared to the moderating numbers for Bangkok and its five adjoining provinces.

In the chart below, the red line shows Thailand's total number of domestic general population COVID cases tracked by day (excluding prison and international quarantine cases) since the start of April. The rising green line lately shows the daily new case totals for Thailand's 71 outlying provinces, now accounting for 59 percent of current cases, while the flattening blue line shows new cases for Bangkok and its five adjoining provinces, now accounting for 41 percent of current new cases.

2021-07-26d.jpg.03e2625931feeb5d7c59bee89f0ec1ff.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/373180704300260/?type=3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its dramatic enough when there's no longer room to treat the seriously ill and it will only get worse, to try and play this down as you are doing is denying the reality of just how serious this is. 

FULL..............this is where it gets to be a nightmare scenario for the doctors who have to decide who to save and who to let die as a result of no facilities

Hospital bed capacity in Bangkok and vicinity right now. Overcapacity for AIIR ICU, Modified AIIR, Cohort ICU, Isolated rooms, Cohort ward.

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1419229744134955017

This is what I was talking about a couple of weeks ago when I said that hospitals were still not full. There is a point where a hospital can be at 100% capacity, but still more patients can be squeezed in.

Now hospitals are maxed out, and the system can only accommodate new acute patients to the extent that recovered patients are discharged, or someone dies.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jacob29 said:

6000 above average is much higher, though considering excess deaths were above average by around 8% in January before covid, if the real figure is closer to 3000 that's not much higher imo. Won't take long to find out, any difference from reported numbers will become readily apparent as the rate increases. What it does suggest, is that suggestions real mortality numbers are 10x higher or more are almost certainly wrong.

I tend to believe the figures from the "The Thailand Development Research Unit" & "Thailand civil registration database" more so than you speculation.

Edited by Bkk Brian

During today's English language news briefing, a government spokesman reeled off a long list of new COVID cluster outbreaks in various factory complexes in various provinces -- with factories remaining largely unaffected by the government's current COVID restrictions.

He cited new cluster outbreaks in the following provinces: Ayutthaya, Samut Sakhon, Lopburi, Ratchaburi, Saraburi and Chachoengsao, saying most of the new clusters there emerged from manufacturing plants.

Also, the spokesman promised that the current government COVID vaccination program for age 60 and up foreign nationals living in Bangkok and five adjoining provinces soon will be expanded to younger age groups starting next month.

He also repeated claims about older foreign nationals in other outlying areas being able to contact the local hospitals where they live and have medical records about being able to obtain COVID vaccinations there, and cited a recent government memo directing hospitals to allow such vaccinations, even though many expats have said they see little sign of many hospitals in outlying areas thus far honoring that directive.

He also cited a long list of hospitals listed on the Ministry of Public Health's Thailand Intervac website, even though most of those listed there either have already closed their current vaccination registration cycles or have yet to open promised future vaccination programs for foreign nationals.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

NMG chairman queries shot allocations as Buri Ram police force gets third shot

In a Facebook post on Sunday, Nation Multimedia Group (NMG)’s chairman Shine Bunnag asked why Buri Ram police officers were being given a third AstraZeneca jab while 38 million members of the Thai population have not got their first shot.

“Recent data from the Royal Thai Police shows that 72 per cent of more than 20,000 police officers are fully vaccinated. Also, I wonder why it is important for Buri Ram police officers to get a third jab when the province is not even a ‘dark red’ zone,” Shine said in his post.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003772

They have big mafia in that province, can do what they want, as disgraceful as it is. 

6 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Why is it that last year we had 0 deaths and less than 10 positive cases, but this year we have both?

Seriously?  or is this sarcasm, I can not decide. However, here are many reasons besides a lack of testing last year.  I tried 3 times last year but was continually denied as I did not show the required symptoms at that time.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/world/asia/thailand-covid-clubs.html

However, Prayut just blamed the entire country full of people for making Covid what it is now after he did such a sterling job in keeping Covid under wraps last year.

Then there is this: Failed Vaccine rollout and lack of vaccines in stock to vaccinate the public to70% by the end of the year

Delta

Edited by ThailandRyan

13 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Acquired immunity from an infection by the original flavor of Covid doesn’t help much if you are exposed to Delta.

So what is the point of vaccination then given that the vax is based on the alpha variant, especially the viral vector versions?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

So what is the point of vaccination then given that the vax is based on the alpha variant, especially the viral vector versions?

Because vaccines are not “based on the alpha variant”.

This may be a surprise to you, but scientists are not stupid. When they devised the vaccines, they assumed that there would be variants.

Let me ask you, do you have doubts whether vaccines can protect against the Delta variant?

Edited by Danderman123

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Let's hope so.  It makes no sense that restaurants in malls cannot do deliveries or take-out.

It brings all those  'Ive been everywhere' delivery guys into your aircon fav eatingspot.

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

During today's English language news briefing, a government spokesman reeled off a long list of new COVID cluster outbreaks in various factory complexes in various provinces -- with factories remaining largely unaffected by the government's current COVID restrictions.

He cited new cluster outbreaks in the following provinces: Ayutthaya, Samut Sakhon, Lopburi, Ratchaburi, Saraburi and Chachoengsao, saying most of the new clusters there emerged from manufacturing plants.

Also, the spokesman promised that the current government COVID vaccination program for age 60 and up foreign nationals living in Bangkok and five adjoining provinces soon will be expanded to younger age groups starting next month.

He also repeated claims about older foreign nationals in other outlying areas being able to contact the local hospitals where they live and have medical records about being able to obtain COVID vaccinations there, and cited a recent government memo directing hospitals to allow such vaccinations, even though many expats have said they see little sign of many hospitals in outlying areas thus far honoring that directive.

He also cited a long list of hospitals listed on the Ministry of Public Health's Thailand Intervac website, even though most of those listed there either have already closed their current vaccination registration cycles or have yet to open promised future vaccination programs for foreign nationals.

Absolutely ridiculous. There is no way they will be anywhere close to completing the vaccination of over 60’s group by next month. Four months maybe, but one month is laughable.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

So explain to me just a few posts ago you stated hospitals are over ran by critically sick, you stated government does not force anyone with mild syndromes into hospitals and now you stating field hospitals are for mildly sick and running out of beds

So which one is it? and which one of us is trolling?

Number of infected risen 15 times, number of critical doubled, as per your own statistics

Just because government is incapable of efficiently and effectively deal with the problem, it does not make problem itself all that dramatic. Way of dealing with it, makes it more dramatic.

Any study on this planet with 97% success is a winner, yet for some unknown reason you clinched on to 3% and turning it into some drama

Yes Covid is here, its a fact, yes it CAN kill you, does not mean it will and must kill you. 

Numbers are going up on daily basis, but ratios remain the same and by your own admission 60% -80%do not require any medical attention at all 16% or so percent have mild symptoms and perhaps require some some treatment.

And , yes, no doubt growing number of critically sick is increasing, as number of tested positive increasing, but it is not as dramatic as you trying so hard make it sound as if all 15000 cases per day are hospitalised.

I don’t think that anyone has said, explicitly or implicitly that all 15,000 cases are hospitalized. All the charts, figures and related comments that I have seen in this thread, make it clear that some people are in ICU, some hospitalized, some in field hospitals and some told to isolate in community centres  or at home.

I have no difficulty understanding the dynamics of all of the above.

how people want to react to the numbers is up to each individual, but I see no confusion over the numbers as reported.

• Like 2

I live in Bangkok and can get along without needing food from malls.

In fact would not use them if they were open as plenty better alternatives.

There are SO many food outlets in streets etc no need to open Malls.

"My life and preferences are unaffected by restrictions, therefore the restrictions must be justified and reasonable."

Incredibly common sentiment around here. Just an observation I've made ????‍♂️.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jacob29 said:

6000 above average is much higher, though considering excess deaths were above average by around 8% in January before covid, if the real figure is closer to 3000 that's not much higher imo. Won't take long to find out, any difference from reported numbers will become readily apparent as the rate increases. What it does suggest, is that suggestions real mortality numbers are 10x higher or more are almost certainly wrong.

Agreed. It suggests that real mortality from Covid May be higher by the percentages shown on the excess mortality chart. That was the point of reading it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The numbers thus far do not show the Phetchabun Chicken processing plants cluster of cases. One has to wonder when and if they will appear.  I would also like to see a further follow-up on the cases and the surrounding villages that are closed.  A breakdown of the workers nationalities and how they are being treated and cared for.

Even you wait 2 to 3 days(if i remember correct) before you get result from covid test. So we can assume there is few days delay from results!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

US Politician is Infected a Second Time

Like many Farangs here, he claimed to have been infected early last year, so he didn’t need the vaccine.

Wrong.

Acquired immunity from an infection by the original flavor of Covid doesn’t help much if you are exposed to Delta.

Is that a fact? Are hospitalization and mortality rates the same or nearly so if you've been previously infected? I don't think any knows as of yet. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-you-get-delta-variant-if-you-already-had-covid-19

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

Why is it that last year we had 0 deaths and less than 10 positive cases, but this year we have both?

Because for reasons unknown Thailand and its neighbors had a high natural resistance to the original strain. The government got over confident thinking they could ride it out and then delta happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

Because for reasons unknown Thailand and its neighbors had a high natural resistance to the original strain. The government got over confident thinking they could ride it out and then delta happened.

The actual fact was that this Government rarely tested people and only tracked and traced without searching further out.  Yes maybe the initial variant found in Thailand was not as infectious as the Current variants but people were still ill with symptoms, yet unless you met the criterion back then they would not test you at the hospitals.

6 hours ago, anchadian said:

The COVID-19 antigen test site, at the government complex on Bangkok’s Chaengwattana Road, opens for service today. Those found to be infected will receive Favipiravir and Far Talai Jone medications and will be taken home, into self-isolation, on provided transportation.

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1419479690192973834

Is there any evidence that Favipiravir and Far Talai Jone work?  Fujifilm the owner of the company that developed Avigan, renamed Favipiravir by the Chinese licensee Thailand bought it from, gave up trying to get it approved as a therapy for COVID, as its trials were inconclusive.  Did Thailand ever order Remdesivir?

They are using dexamethasone for serious cases lucky enough to get hospital treatment.  It seems to help keep people alive but pushing up blood sugar to the point that many patients become diabetic.  Once they have become diabetic and recovered from COVID they are susceptible to the black fungus infection that eats away at nasal cavities and eye sockets, as in India.

At least Thailand has given up using hydroxichloroquine.

Edited by Dogmatix