Thailand reports 15,376 new COVID-19 cases, 87 more deaths

webfact

51 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

BBC reporting on excess deaths last two months

"One index that measures total mortality is The mortality rate of Thai people in May and June 2021 has increased by 12% and 17.5%, respectively, compared to the same month in the past five years."

https://www.bbc.com/thai/thailand-57920914

I didn't find those numbers on the page you linked to but I did find that information here:

https://www.bbc.com/thai/thailand-57892752

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Went there yesterday. Went pretty smoothly and took just over an hour and that includes the compulsory 30 minutes you have have to wait before you can leave. It was AZ but I forgot to ask if it was home grown or from the donation from Japan. Nurses aspirated the syringe before plunging. There were alot of people but I wouldn't call it overly crowded or choatic as it was spread over quite a large area and ran pretty well. Bit of a headache today (may not be juice related), a bit more tired than usual and my arm ached a little bit when I woke up during the night but nothing really. 

On another point a local 200 bed field hosptital is in chaos I have been told. Entire families turning up but it's full as is the local hospital. The system is about to burst.

I had a 1st dose of AZ 4 weeks ago and minor side effects started 24 hours later....same as you the occasional headache and feeling a little fatigued. Headaches stopped at 2 weeks but fatigue got worse the second week and continued until week three which was unwelcome. Feeling fine now.

• Thanks 2

The COVID-19 antigen test site, at the government complex on Bangkok’s Chaengwattana Road, opens for service today. Those found to be infected will receive Favipiravir and Far Talai Jone medications and will be taken home, into self-isolation, on provided transportation.

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1419479690192973834

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, James105 said:

Lockdowns also kill people due to poverty and other conditions such as suicide.    I'd expect an increase in preventable deaths due to a combination of covid and lockdown measures. Even those who are dying on the streets that are testing positive are unlikely to be getting enough nutritional food in their bodies to be able to deal with Covid as easily as someone who can afford to eat properly.   

I'm getting increasingly concerned that there is still no indication from this government that any financial support is going to be offered to those who have lost their incomes due to lockdown measures.   If this stays the same how long is it before society starts to break down and desperate people start doing desperate things to simply survive?  2-3 months?  

Desperate, like tearing ATM's of of their pedestals like shown on the news this morning so they can use a torch to cut the lock out and remove the cash. It has already reached desperate levels in my view.

40 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Asean sees fall in new Covid cases but Malaysia hits record numbers

Southeast Asia saw a decline in new Covid-19 cases for the second consecutive day after crossing over 100,000 on Friday.

Asean sees fall in new Covid cases but Malaysia hits record numbers

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40003757

Myammar around 8% fatality rate...That's horrendous... God know what's going on there...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, mistral53 said:

Encouraging numbers, tally of death is stable around 100 +/- if these numbers hold, Thailand is doing it right. Keep it up guys!!

Deaths do lack case numbers by about 2 weeks in most cases, and this lockdown just really got underway 1 week ago, which allowed the people to flee to the outer provinces where I fear testing is not adequate or people are just staying at home with family and when they do die, they are not counted in the statistics as they are just cremated in the local Wat.  Of course that's based on anecdotal evidence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dan42 said:

Myammar around 8% fatality rate...That's horrendous... God know what's going on there...

I think it's clear that if you get COVID in Myammar you just die because there is no care.  

Kind of what could happen in Thailand if they don't get control of this.  There is a lot going for thailand though - at least they have health care unlike Myanmar and they do eventually listen and get freaked out by all this.  

8 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Encouraging numbers, tally of death is stable around 100 +/- if these numbers hold, Thailand is doing it right. Keep it up guys!!

Bachman Turner Overdrive: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.

Comes straight to mind.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

The death numbers bounce around a lot. Day to day changes mean almost nothing.

Thailand set a record high for daily deaths at 141 on July 17. The day before, the death count was 67. The day before that, 98.

From another perspective, 3 of the past 4 days have had death counts above 110.

In the four days before that, 3 of the 4 days had been in the 80s.

That kind of trend is not encouraging or stable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

BBC reporting on excess deaths last two months

"One index that measures total mortality is The mortality rate of Thai people in May and June 2021 has increased by 12% and 17.5%, respectively, compared to the same month in the past five years."

https://www.bbc.com/thai/thailand-57920914

Don't want to get into the weeds but that is some damning evidence that lockdowns are beneficial.  Roughly 45,000 deaths per month in May and June and this represents "roughly" a 15% increase in deaths which equates to 13,500 excess deaths over 2 months.  This is unbelievable?  If true, it sure makes me wonder about the current lockdowns and deaths they are creating.  

Am I missing something?  Are the articles numbers correct?  Nice to see more than 2 months data.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bachman Turner Overdrive: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.

Comes straight to mind.

I predicted peaking at 150 a few days ago and leveling off.  Think I'm going to be wrong.  250?

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The COVID-19 antigen test site, at the government complex on Bangkok’s Chaengwattana Road, opens for service today. Those found to be infected will receive Favipiravir and Far Talai Jone medications and will be taken home, into self-isolation, on provided transportation.

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1419479690192973834

Favipiravir isn't a recommended COVID treatment in the U.S. or most other first-world countries with the exception of Japan, where it was commercially developed, and a few others.

"Fabipravir, as an antiviral drug, has been authorized for treating COVID-19 in several countries including Japan, Russia, and India, under emergency provisions.[21][22][23] A rapid meta-review in September 2020 (analyzing four studies) noted that the drug led to clinical and radiological improvements; however, no reduction in mortality or differences in oxygen-support requirement were observed and more rigorous studies were sought.[24][25]

As of May 2021, large-cohort clinical trials are underway."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favipiravir

The other Thai local treatment, I have no idea!

Last time I checked, the U.S. was primarily relying on medicines such as Dexamethasone and Remdesivir.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ozzydon said:

and with a holiday weekend coming up prepare for the worst they wont stop people travelling unfortunatly

Roads around us look pretty empty today, it would appear that those that wanted to leave have and then one has to wonder where did they go since the holiday tomorrow was canceled, but then this is a soft lockdown.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Party leader and popular candidate for PM calls for political unity, presents a plan to defeat the virus

Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan is an experienced former cabinet minister who was the leading candidate for Prime Minister of the largest Thai political party during the last General Election in 2019. She has served in cabinet under three different prime ministers. This weekend, she called for political unity in Thailand at this time as she presented her party’s blueprint for the country to recover from the currents crisis by the end of 2021.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/07/25/political-unity-call-to-fight-virus-crisis/

There are some social media conversation of a unity government and Sudarat in good position to take leadership role as she less controversial of the lot.

Her plan although basic is the right approach. Vaccines enhancement,  testing availability, prompt increase isolation facilities and medical attention to those infected. Favipiravir is the most common and effective medicine in all

hospitals for treating mild symptoms.

Something got to be done for a new leadership in this dire times as the current government has failed and devoid of effective plan to stop this pandemic crisis. 

9 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Am I missing something?  Are the articles numbers correct?  Nice to see more than 2 months data.

Yes. Current numbers would be much higher with zero restrictions. That's a given. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Don't want to get into the weeds but that is some damning evidence that lockdowns are beneficial.  Roughly 45,000 deaths per month in May and June and this represents "roughly" a 15% increase in deaths which equates to 13,500 excess deaths over 2 months.  This is unbelievable?  If true, it sure makes me wonder about the current lockdowns and deaths they are creating.  

Your post seems contradictory. Did you mean to say evidence that lockdowns aren’t beneficial?

assuming that you did, have you considered that the wave of delta Covid began in April and the effect that it might have had? I mean, according to your logic, if there were no Covid at all, and there was a lockdown for no good reason, it would “create” deaths. Hmm, perhaps back to the drawing board on that one.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Favipiravir isn't a recommended COVID treatment in the U.S. or most other first-world countries with the exception of Japan, where it was commercially developed, and a few others.

"Fabipravir, as an antiviral drug, has been authorized for treating COVID-19 in several countries including Japan, Russia, and India, under emergency provisions.[21][22][23] A rapid meta-review in September 2020 (analyzing four studies) noted that the drug led to clinical and radiological improvements; however, no reduction in mortality or differences in oxygen-support requirement were observed and more rigorous studies were sought.[24][25]

As of May 2021, large-cohort clinical trials are underway."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favipiravir

The other Thai local treatment, I have no idea!

A well known traditional Thai medicine is gaining steam as a potential treatment for Covid despite its dubious scientific merit.

Fah Talai Jone, or andrographis paniculata, has been used to treat a number of different illnesses, including the flu, a sore throat, and inflammation. Now, the herb is also being used to treat mild Covid systems in “green level” patients, provided they are not pregnant or breastfeeding. Or have any underlying diseases.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/traditional-thai-medicine-fah-talai-jone-gains-steam-as-a-treatment-despite-shaky-scientific-merit

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, dan42 said:

I think it’s an indication of what happens when there is no healthcare and why governments on the whole tend to introduce lockdowns to protect the capacity of their own health service to cope with demand.

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

There are some social media conversation of a unity government and Sudarat in good position to take leadership role as she less controversial of the lot.

Her plan although basic is the right approach. Vaccines enhancement,  testing availability, prompt increase isolation facilities and medical attention to those infected. Favipiravir is the most common and effective medicine in all

hospitals for treating mild symptoms.

Something got to be done for a new leadership in this dire times as the current government has failed and devoid of effective plan to stop this pandemic crisis. 

It will be remarkable to see Prayut willingly step aside for anyone else. He'll only go if pushed, extremely hard, from those above.

• Like 1