US plans to donate 2.5 million doses of vaccine to Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Because I pay 20pc of my pensions in UK tax!

So what... so do I.  Doesn't mean I'm expecting anything. Friends and family back home in Canada ate right. My choice, so don't date ask for anything from the home country.

4 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

According to the US Embassy's (Thailand) website ... The mission of the United States Embassy is to advance the interests of the United States, and to serve and protect U.S. citizens in Thailand. 

I booked my appointment yesterday to renounce my "born in USA" citizenship.  After 62 years of telling everyone "I am an American," I am now thoroughly disgusted to be American and to have come from what was once a great country.

Here is a great rant by a US entrepreneur on the state of overweight under educated people who call themselves Americans ... https://youtube.com/watch?v=HryiadpkssQ&feature=share

This does seem to be the fourth failed presidency in progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10baht said:

I had signed up for the AZ shot, scheduled for 26 Aug. I was told today, cannot get AZ until I take a Sinovac first, new gov't policy, then 4 weeks later I can get an AZ vaccine shot. 

So what age group are you?

Let's see what their next excuse will be to not vaccinate foreigners with Pfizer or AZ.

I bet thez will find another excuse to deny to foreigner. Even thought my wife is working for Thai government school. You remember, they should be vaccineted 2 month ago.

Thailand loses the face over and over again, day by day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Another 2.5 million vaccines donated.... At this rate Thailand won't have to purchase there own, and the money can go into the trough for all to share.... 

or to be used to buy more submarines from China

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, animatic said:

Well the French did it no problem.

USA citizens still pay USA taxes and deserve the same treatment as all other tax payers.

And consulates are there for citizens and potential visitors to the host country, even if embassies are inter-governmental.

Full stop.

You've got a good point. Btw, French pay taxes in France on their French-based income. And to be perfectly exact, even if you are a Timbuktu citizen, if you derive any income from France, you will have to declare that to the French taxman (and he will hit you!). Unless, in very few cases I would think, there is a special agreement between France and the country of residence.

• Like 1

Don’t get your hopes up.  Total US Pfizer donation will be a bit more than 2.5 million.  And no clue when the 2nd shipment arrives.  But this cloud could have a silver lining.  Tomorrow’s delivery should total 1.54 million, I read.  That extra .04 million would make enough for double shots for about 20,000 American expats.  

Quote from a Dirty Harry scene:  “Well, do ya feel lucky, Chump?”

16 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Another 2.5 million vaccines donated.... At this rate Thailand won't have to purchase there own, and the money can go into the trough for all to share.... 

Except they do need 100 million, or more,  doses

• Sad 1

This headline is misleading.  Provide and Donate are two different situations.  Donate pretty much means, free.  Provide pretty much means, as in you owe me x amount of dollars for this.  "US Senator Tammy Duckworth revealed last night that the US government planned to provide 2.5 million doses of vaccine to Thailand."

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

Too late for that. This Pfizer gift will not help either. The fact is China demanded its people be given priority in its gift of vaccines. And the result? Thailand ordered millions of more of doses from China and has recently gone into a partnership with China to develop an mRNA vaccine (according to an article a few days ago on this forum). Meanwhile the reluctance to order and work with the US on vaccines is readily apparent if you look at the order history this year. Otherwise, Thailand goes right on buying submarines and trains from China, while ordering a handful of APCs from the US. So tell me, who is doing better diplomatically, China or the US? Seems a clearcut winner for China to me. China looks strong in protecting its interests and its citizens. The US looks as if it is indifferent about its people and afraid to push the generals in any direction at all.

Don't forget the strong ties between CP Corp and China. That connection carries its weight in gold in Thai politics and looks to be one of the default solutions in a crisis. Plus, a recent worldwide anti-corruption report made many pharmas leary about doing business with Thailand. A couple more dots to connect. Maybe countries would rather donate to a corrupt country to avoid the tarnish of selling to it and then see the $$$ used for weapons?

But yes, the US looks indifferent to its citizens camping abroad, but I don't think they fear the generals tho, haha - not sure if any country does, except Thailand!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Good ol' Tammy. She could've been President.

As much as I dislike it, when dealing with other govts, they must prioritize appeasing the other govts first, then serving their citizens. As in the larger scheme of things, making the other govts happy then helps us in turn. Remember it wasn't long ago, when everyone's visas were running out, that kicking us all out seemed a very real possibility.

c1_1735687_190824082806.jpg

And you watch , wait and see! When most of the thai are vaccines and foreigners are not.  The tables will turn and new strict rules will be imposed on those of us living here. Especially if a real western foreigner creates a hotspot dispensing covid.. which luckily has not happened yet.  If it had, all westerners in Thailand would be locked in their rooms or stopped on streets to be checked where going and with whom.. If history tells us one thing. Is that when something happens bad it's caused by a western foreigner. This country reacts in the most extreme measures and publicizes their blame on us so the rest of the country shuns us. 

23 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

when something happens bad it's caused by a western foreigner.

Heh, Thai style man. Saving face.

Truck crash? Brake failure.

Shooting? Gun cleaning accident.

Farang falls from Pattaya balcony? Oh, GF was already asleep, and he was drunk.

CCTV catches group going into an alley, then one was murdered? Oh, it wasn't any of them, the killer got away.

No vaccines? The companies aren't sending them, they have shipping issues, production issues.

A school I worked for changes nearly their entire foreign staff every year. The kids aren't learning, because they can never get any good foreign teachers.

Just admit fault? Never.

7 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

Don't forget the strong ties between CP Corp and China. That connection carries its weight in gold in Thai politics

Some of my HS students even know about that. They say they no longer go to 7-11. Plenty of mom and pops to be supported here in the small town anyway.

• Like 1

You can't trust the government to give it free to the hospital employees, and the elderly. Donated vaccine will most likely it will go to the military, police, politicians and their friends and supporters. If USA does donate, I hope they audit the distribution and ask for penalty if any is given to the military, police or politicians.

They only way to control the distribution, is to do it in a public forum, transparent, by non-Thai government so all can see who gets the vaccine!

Edited by Banana7

Confirmed. 2.5 mm doses in total.

1.5 mm delivered today at SBIA/BKK.

1 mm to follow.

1.5 Million Pfizer Vaccine Doses, Donated by the United States, Arrive in Thailand

Today, the United States donated 1,503,450 million doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to Thailand.  This historic shipment, which reaffirms U.S. support to our oldest ally in Asia, arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport this morning.

We are also proud to confirm that the United States will provide an additional one million vaccine doses to Thailand – on top of the doses that arrived today – for a total of 2.5 million doses.

https://th.usembassy.gov/1-5-million-pfizer-vaccine-doses-donated-by-the-united-states-arrive-in-thailand/

41 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

You can't trust the government to give it free to the hospital employees, and the elderly. Donated vaccine will most likely it will go to the military, police, politicians and their friends and supporters. If USA does donate, I hope they audit the distribution and ask for penalty if any is given to the military, police or politicians.

They only way to control the distribution, is to do it a public forum, transparent, by non-Thai government so all can see who gets the vaccine!

For those who are unaware...

1.5 million doses of Pfizer vaccine, donated by the United States arrived in Thailand TODAY, 30 July. The US embassy is supposed to hold a press briefing about it sometime today.

Another 1 million doses have also been comitted to be donated by the US later.

There are approximately 40,000 US expats living in the Kingdom.  Out of 1.5 million donated doses, every single US expat should be vaccinated form those donated doses, considering that their tax dollars helped pay for them!

How many will actually be vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccines their tax dollars helped pay for?  Thai authorities "claim" that 150,000 doses will be given to foreign residents in high risk groups.  That would mean that EVERY SINGLE high risk US Expat should be receiving full vaccinations from the donated Pfizer vaccines.

That should happen everywhere across the Kingdom and not just in Bangkok  and with no further delays or dodgy games from authorities in regard to foreigner registration for vaccination!

The US needs to steps in and oversee that the Thai authorities actually "walk the walk" instead of just "talking the talk"

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 10:20 AM, peleid said:

UK are donating vaccines to Laos, Cambodia and other poor countries, they must not consider Thailand a poor country????

The UK is also providing vaccines to Thailand (415,000 doses). There are already several threads about it on the forum.

I'm not sure "donate" is the right word (even though the embassy and others are using it) because the official announcements say they will be provided "at cost price." "Donate" implies they will be given for free, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The UK is also providing vaccines to Thailand (415,000 doses). There are already several threads about it on the forum.

I'm not sure "donate" is the right word (even though the embassy and others are using it) because the official announcements say they will be provided "at cost." "Donate" implies they will be given for free, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Just to be clear, in the case of the US, they are donations, not paid for in anyway by Thailand.  They are paid for by US citizens (like me).

I love the way the US Embassy side-stepped the big question on all expat's minds this morning with the arrival of 1.5 million donated doses of Pfyzer vaccine:

"...Our vaccines do not come with strings attached. We are doing this with the singular objective of saving lives and with the full knowledge that none of us are safe until all of us are safe. As such, we are happy to hear the Royal Thai Government has committed to distributing these vaccines equitably to all residents of Thailand and to prioritizing those most at risk. ..."

Yeah right! The same authorities who have put up one roadblock after another as far as allowing foreingers to be registered for vaccination are now to be trusted with "distributing these donated vaccines (that my own US tax dollares helped pay for) equitably" to high risk foreigners, when they have done just the opposite to date!

We'll see soon enough, but I'm not holding my breath!????

Edited by WaveHunter

15 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I love the way the US Embassy side-stepped the big question on all expat's minds this morning with the arrival of 1.5 million donated doses of Pfyzer vaccine:

"...Our vaccines do not come with strings attached. We are doing this with the singular objective of saving lives and with the full knowledge that none of us are safe until all of us are safe. As such, we are happy to hear the Royal Thai Government has committed to distributing these vaccines equitably to all residents of Thailand and to prioritizing those most at risk. ..."

Yeah right! The same authorities who have put up one roadblock after another as far as allowing foreingers to be registered for vaccination are now to be trusted with "distributing these donated vaccines (that my own US tax dollares helped pay for) equitably" to high risk foreigners, when they have done just the opposite to date!

We'll see soon enough, but I'm not holding my breath!????

I saw in one of the UK topics on Covid in Thailand that their ambassador bears an eerie resemblance to Mr. Potatohead. But ours is trying to dress like Prayut.