US plans to donate 2.5 million doses of vaccine to Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

I saw in one of the UK topics on Covid in Thailand that their ambassador bears an eerie resemblance to Mr. Potatohead. But ours is trying to dress like Prayut.  

LOL!  I'm not sure which is worst for being disingenous boobs, politicans or diplomats.  They both rank very low in my book, seeming to forget that they work for the People, not the other way around.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL!  I'm not sure which is worst for being disingenous boobs, politicans or diplomats.  They both rank very low in my book, seeming to forget that they work for the People, not the other way around.

Very clear from that photo of the American charge who he serves.

Does anyone have reliable information about when and how (i.e. by what registration process) this US Pfizer donation will be administered to eligible ex-pats?  (NB: ThailandIntervac continues to mention only AstraZeneca and Sinovac; and the registration is only for FIRST doses.)

25 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

"...Our vaccines do not come with strings attached.

The funny thing is Heath actually thinks he is scoring one against the Chinese by saying this. The Thais meanwhile make Chinese vaccines their main alternative, go into a partnership with China to develop an mRNA vaccine, order submarines, trains, and 5G networks from China. Remember the public demonstrations of the Thai Police "We Stand with Wuhan!"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jsnuk said:

Does anyone have reliable information about when and how (i.e. by what registration process) this US Pfizer donation will be administered to eligible ex-pats?  (NB: ThailandIntervac continues to mention only AstraZeneca and Sinovac; and the registration is only for FIRST doses.)

So far nothing but an empty promise from the Thai authorities that 150,000 of the 1.5 million donated doses will be "equitably" distributed to high risk foreigners. 

In other words and as usual, all talk, and no genuine action.  Keep your eyes on https://www.thailandintervac.com/ ...but don't hold your breath.

????

This is the offical Thai CCSA breakdown of the donated Pfizer vaccine distribution:

1954083734_ScreenShot2021-07-30at11_26_07AM.jpg.af690ff08df48a659adf3559b0d92b4b.jpg

BTW...The number of doses alloted for medical workers looks VERY suspicious to me, considering that it's officially estimated that there are only around 200,000 medical worker in all of Thailand, and all of those are not "front line" workers!

I wonder how they account for 500,000 doses being needed?  I'd sure like to hear how the CCSA justifies that.

Perhaps the other 300,000 doses are for low risk family members, and friends, and those working in the medical profession but not at risk like hospital administrators, and thier friends and families?

Something smells funny to me, considering that there are over 3 million expats living in Thailand (many of which are in high-risk groups) but only 75,000 are expected to receive vaccination from the donated Pfizer vaccine.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:57 AM, lujanit said:

Before all the US expats say their country/embassy is not looking after them.  Consider this.

Embassies are not in foreign countries for the sole benefit of their citizens.  They may provide some services however they are not there for just you.

Embassies are in foreign countries to act as liaison between the host country and the government of country of the embassy.

Winge all you like but that is the truth.

I agree, however during a global pandemic, one would think the normal rules could be bent. It would be only 80,000 doses, not really noticeable with the number being sent by the US.

• Like 1

In my view this is certainly good news and a step in the right direction.  Thailand needs vaccine and needs vaccine now!  But truthfully as an American citizen if I end up getting the Sinovac then AstraZeneca, as stated by the government this week, I will definitely feel that my country has let me down.  The recent news concerning censorship of fake news also has me quite concerned as I do not fully believe in the transparency of the reporting concerning COVID 19 here in Thailand.  So in the end we lose.  We don't get the vaccine we want.  We don't hear about the truth of what is really happening.  And we can not speak our minds and confront the authorities in charge.  Heck, I wrote Joe Biden thanking him for this recently delivered vaccine and the White House would not even take in my email.  It was bounced from the start.  So I believe I am wasting my time worrying about all of this stuff and plan to go back to the simple, joyous life I have here in Thailand.  And prey I don't get COVID.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Your pictures are worth 1000 words.  It really shows how little these Pfizer vaccines are appreciated.  But I think the Thai people understand that this is an important step.  Thank you for these photos.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Drake said:

What the Chinese diplomats failed to mention in thier flowery press release was that delivery of SInoVac vaccines to Thailand were predicated on Thailand agreeing that all Chinese citizens in Thailand would be vaccinated from those "donated" shipments AND that most of the SinoVac entering Thailand were actually paid for by the Thai government, not donated.

Just to keep the record straight...and to question why the US feels to need to be so magnanimous as to donate vaccines "with no strings attached" even if that means depriving its' own expat citizens of an opportunity to be vaccinated with vaccines that theier tax dollars paid for!  ????

Just another example of the United States considering its' expats to be second class citizens; it's OK to take their tax dollars, but to lift a finger to see that they are treated fairly during a pandemic is asking too much I guess.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

What the Chinese diplomats failed to mention in thier press release was that delivery of SInoVac vaccines to Thailand were predicated on Thailand agreeing that all Chinese citizens in Thailand would be vaccinated from those "donated" shipments AND that most of the SinoVac entering Thialnd has been paid for, not donated.

Just to keep the record straight...and to question why the US feels to need to be so magnanimous as to donate vaccines "with no strings attached" even if that means depriving its' own expat citizens of an opportunity to be vaccinated with vaccines that theier tax dollars paid for!  ????

I am less interested in the text than the implication of what the two photos say about what exactly the Thai government feels about the two "arrivals." One arriving at night, accompanied by a cargo handler and the other in the bright light of day with the prime minister and health minister present. If the gift of Pfizer was to show how grand and magnificent the US was, even excluding its own citizens from the donation, then that "show" was a grand failure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The UK is also providing vaccines to Thailand (415,000 doses). There are already several threads about it on the forum.

I'm not sure "donate" is the right word (even though the embassy and others are using it) because the official announcements say they will be provided "at cost price." "Donate" implies they will be given for free, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Yes, I have seen them, just at the time on the BBC website Thailand wasn't mentioned

On 7/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, huangnon said:

"Proper vaccines".? They, (especially the m-RNA jabs) are still classes as "experimental; approved for emergency use" by the FDA, with a wall of legal disclaimers.

The Pfizer business model especially should be raising eyebrows and awareness in the media. But as usual, the juggernaut narrative continues.

https://www.nexusnewsfeed.com/article/health-healing/pfizer-leak-exposing-the-pfizer-manufacturing-and-supply-agreement/

ddd-1627463791058.png

Regardless of their present status, as there has been no time to make it through the glacial standard drug approval processes, Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines have so far proven to be the best ones available by any measure. However, everyone is free to believe whatever conspiracy suits them and make their own choices.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The UK is also providing vaccines to Thailand (415,000 doses). There are already several threads about it on the forum.

I'm not sure "donate" is the right word (even though the embassy and others are using it) because the official announcements say they will be provided "at cost price." "Donate" implies they will be given for free, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Exactly.  They like to throw the word, donate, around, although it's not really donated, it's provided, "at cost price".  

8 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Exactly  taxation without representation 

Unless they removed your right to vote, then you still have representation.   

As far as the issue of paying US taxes, in my 30 years overseas experience, I never met 1 person who paid income tax from foreign earnings.  Just to be clear For tax year 2020 (filing in 2021) the exclusion amount is $107,600.  I knew a very small number paid US taxes on money that was in the US, such as investment accounts, but even then, many only had to file federal income tax, but no tax was actually paid.   

Expats earning over $107,600 a year have been in a pretty good position to get on a plane, fly to the US (or Guam) and get vaccinated.  

Oh, and just to be clear, nearly everyone working in Thailand is paying taxes and those taxes are subtracted from the overseas income before reporting.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:12 AM, ourmanflint said:

Isn't Britain also donating an enormous amount of vaccines to Thailand in the next couple of weeks? 

If 415,000 is enormous, than yes. Compared to the 4,0040.00 America has and will send. 

1 hour ago, Credo said:

Unless they removed your right to vote, then you still have representation.   

As far as the issue of paying US taxes, in my 30 years overseas experience, I never met 1 person who paid income tax from foreign earnings.  Just to be clear For tax year 2020 (filing in 2021) the exclusion amount is $107,600.  I knew a very small number paid US taxes on money that was in the US, such as investment accounts, but even then, many only had to file federal income tax, but no tax was actually paid.   

Expats earning over $107,600 a year have been in a pretty good position to get on a plane, fly to the US (or Guam) and get vaccinated.  

Oh, and just to be clear, nearly everyone working in Thailand is paying taxes and those taxes are subtracted from the overseas income before reporting.

Are you really that naive?  Once a tax payer, always a tax payer.   I am a tax payer.  I am an American  citizen,  I am a veteran.  Of course I still get to vote, and all that jazz, but Americans  abroad should have the same opportunity as those at home, especially  if our government  has enough to vaccinate donate, and still have residual vaccines left.  It is of course  an Analogues play on words.  You don't have to be an asshat and attempt to use class or income as what one can or should do to get a vaccine.  What should happen  is the American  government should include it's citizens abroad,  not just in this country. If you remember your American history  it wasn't just the fact that Americans had no representation, they were ignored,  and hence they made a change.  So by your thoughts you would exclude people that may be here on retirement. who paid taxes their whole life, but guess what, now perhaps  they don't have to pay taxes, so you would exclude them and not classify  them as tax payers.  So should they be ignored?  Are you a college  graduate?  If you are you are alumni even though you no longer attend.  Your ties don't end even if you don't attend classes/ you are a tax payer for life, even if you paid up until retirement,  and are now retired.   Your benefits  of being a tax payer doesn't  end just because  you have retired.  That's like saying old people shouldn't  be taken care of because  they retired and no longer haved to work.  

On 7/28/2021 at 11:43 PM, WinterGael said:

Why... like me, you choose to live outside your country.  Why do you expect that it should still look after you?

Because it expects its citizens living abroad to look after it at tax time. Hence, it's a two way street and Uncle Sam needs to learn that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Credo said:

As far as the issue of paying US taxes, in my 30 years overseas experience, I never met 1 person who paid income tax from foreign earnings.

Congratulations! You now have! I made my first trip overseas at the age of nineteen back in 1961 and returned to the U.S. five years later in late 1966. And, I had to pay income tax on all my foreign earnings----which included incomes earned in Iceland, Norway, Germany, Israel, Australia, Japan, and Vietnam.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:39 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

Are you really that naive?  Once a tax payer, always a tax payer.   I am a tax payer.  I am an American  citizen,  I am a veteran.  Of course I still get to vote, and all that jazz, but Americans  abroad should have the same opportunity as those at home, especially  if our government  has enough to vaccinate donate, and still have residual vaccines left.  It is of course  an Analogues play on words.  You don't have to be an asshat and attempt to use class or income as what one can or should do to get a vaccine.  What should happen  is the American  government should include it's citizens abroad,  not just in this country. If you remember your American history  it wasn't just the fact that Americans had no representation, they were ignored,  and hence they made a change.  So by your thoughts you would exclude people that may be here on retirement. who paid taxes their whole life, but guess what, now perhaps  they don't have to pay taxes, so you would exclude them and not classify  them as tax payers.  So should they be ignored?  Are you a college  graduate?  If you are you are alumni even though you no longer attend.  Your ties don't end even if you don't attend classes/ you are a tax payer for life, even if you paid up until retirement,  and are now retired.   Your benefits  of being a tax payer doesn't  end just because  you have retired.  That's like saying old people shouldn't  be taken care of because  they retired and no longer haved to work.  

I suspect, however, you don't pay taxes, therefore, not a tax payer.   

11 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Congratulations! You now have! I made my first trip overseas at the age of nineteen back in 1961 and returned to the U.S. five years later in late 1966. And, I had to pay income tax on all my foreign earnings----which included incomes earned in Iceland, Norway, Germany, Israel, Australia, Japan, and Vietnam.

Sorry but that was 60 years ago.  The foreign earned income exclusion began in 1981.   

2 hours ago, Credo said:

Sorry but that was 60 years ago.  The foreign earned income exclusion began in 1981.   

That's irrelevant because you wrote, "As far as the issue of paying US taxes, in my 30 years overseas experience, I never met 1 person who paid income tax from foreign earnings." Had you stipulated that you had never met one person who paid tax on his foreign earnings since exclusion began in 1981, then it would have been a different matter.

8 hours ago, Credo said:

Obviously you are not familiar with how Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) works for US taxpayers living overseas.  Perhaps you should learn the details of FEIE before scolding others and making ignorant assumptions about what it is and how it works. 

I can assure you, "there is no free lunch" when it comes to paying your taxes as a US citizen, regardless of where you hang your hat.

To take advantage of FEIE, there are very specific requirements such as the 330 day rule that are precise, very unwavering and must be documented well before tax day, for instance. 

Also (and most importantly for most expats), Income from investments, rental properties, IRA withdrawals, Social Security, pensions, etc… are all still subject to taxation.  FEIE only pertains to earned and self-employment income.

What's more,  if you are not structured properly (i.e.: incorporated offshore), you will be liable for other social taxes, such as Medicare, FICA, etc.), as well as State and Local taxes if you maintain legal domicile status in the US, which most (smart) expats do.

Also, if you fail to file tax returns every year, even though you think your income is excluded under FEIE, and the IRS audits you, you can not then claim FEIE...you lose it entirely, and you will also probably be heavily fined for failing to file your returns.

In short, most well-informed and "honest" expats living here in Thailand are full-fledged tax-paying citizens, and have every right to be upset that their tax paying dollars are paying for 1.5 million doses of donated Pfizer vaccines that they have very little chance of receiving.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 2