Life In Chiang Mai

Carrbhoy

8 hours ago, Carrbhoy said:

I'm looking forward to getting both a bicycle (possibly e-scooter) & a moped and doing the same every day. Hope you are enjoying your overnighter!

Got to get out there but do it sensibly and follow the basics (Masks / Distancing / Hygiene). The community prevalence of the virus is low per 100k.

I am also planning to buy/rent an e-scooter or power-assisted bicycle when I arrive in Chiang Mai (hoping for a sandbox in September). I hope I can get one.

14 hours ago, searcher22 said:

I am also planning to buy/rent an e-scooter or power-assisted bicycle when I arrive in Chiang Mai (hoping for a sandbox in September). I hope I can get one.

Won't be a problem. I've been looking into it and there are numerous e-bike stores in CM. Check out E-Rides Electric Bike Store.

Re sandbox, I hope they expand too but the tightening up of Phuket may delay roll-out. From what I've seen, I thought CM was lined up for 1st Oct. Not sure what progress the province has made towards the required 70% vaccines etc. Are you aware of any sites which provide the province level vaccine data?

I've opted for the Bangkok ASQ as the safer option. If the sandbox goes ahead in CM, I will change my flights and go down that route. If Phuket sandbox doesn't have the restrictions including onward travel, I may opt for that. A lot can and will change between now and my scheduled departure date in 12 weeks. Just got to accept that there will be challenges whatever route you go down.

21 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

Re sandbox, I hope they expand too but the tightening up of Phuket may delay roll-out. From what I've seen, I thought CM was lined up for 1st Oct. Not sure what progress the province has made towards the required 70% vaccines etc. Are you aware of any sites which provide the province level vaccine data?

7% maybe less, by October 15% tops.

Edited by BritManToo

On 7/29/2021 at 9:49 PM, chalawaan said:

Get very drunk, or high, or spun, but crucially, get laid while you're altered. As often as you can, without getting busted!

But have recovery days too.

Everything is f-bombed and we're all mortal.

Screw "the man" they're clueless unimaginative controlling miserable wonders, and be your best rockstar self, even if you have reached the stage you need to poop in a high-chair with wheels.

That's it, that's the secret of happiness in digital old-age.

Cash is <deleted> unless you spend it, especially over 60.

how do you require a PCR test for your "guest" or are you just winging it?

Edited by malibukid

Hi

Not a lot open and currently that seems to mean gyms are closed. Yes some places like the Red Lion and OMG are open selling food and showing live sports, tonight for example F1.

Until further notice alcohol wit the food is not allowed the rules say, etc.

Malls and cafes open, my exercise walking and cycling, still some good places even with many national parks closed.

Happy to give some ideas and where we go or links just pm me

3 hours ago, alant said:

Hi

Not a lot open and currently that seems to mean gyms are closed. Yes some places like the Red Lion and OMG are open selling food and showing live sports, tonight for example F1.

Until further notice alcohol wit the food is not allowed the rules say, etc.

Malls and cafes open, my exercise walking and cycling, still some good places even with many national parks closed.

Happy to give some ideas and where we go or links just pm me

Hi Alant - thanks for the info. And offer of assistance. Everything going to plan, I will make it to CM early Nov. Hopefully things have improved by then but I’ll definitely take you up on your offer nearer the time.

Just watching the F1 qualifying - hope you are down in OMG enjoying some food / live sport at the moment. I see from their Google pics that they have a pool table - what are the rules re games of pool?

Why would you go to Chiang Mai?  Inland experience with smog from burning fields. Extreme heat with no sea breeze.  I do like to be beside the seaside.  Don't go there or settle there folks, its overrated and small

ok for for a 3 day visit or a starting off point for Chiang Rai tour and beyond but that's it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

Why would you go to Chiang Mai?  Inland experience with smog from burning fields. Extreme heat with no sea breeze.  I do like to be beside the seaside.  Don't go there or settle there folks, its overrated and small

ok for for a 3 day visit or a starting off point for Chiang Rai tour and beyond but that's it.

City kids who think that being by the sea is a "holiday"  and sit and look at the sea everyday thinking they ve made it in life 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Carrbhoy said:

Won't be a problem. I've been looking into it and there are numerous e-bike stores in CM. Check out E-Rides Electric Bike Store.

I've opted for the Bangkok ASQ as the safer option. If the sandbox goes ahead in CM, I will change my flights and go down that route. If Phuket sandbox doesn't have the restrictions including onward travel, I may opt for that. A lot can and will change between now and my scheduled departure date in 12 weeks. Just got to accept that there will be challenges whatever route you go down.

Good to hear about the e-bike stores.

My final destination being Chiang Mai, I too will opt for the Bangkok ASQ. As you stated, it is safer. It also gives me three options once my ASQ is completed:

1: Hire a driver car to CM

2: Rent a car

3: Have someone from CM come down to BKK and pick me up.

Phuket is too far away for that.

9 hours ago, Carrbhoy said:

Thanks for confirming. Are there daily progress updates? If so, can you share the Source and I will track.

There is no progress except in overflowing hospitals, a growth of infections and deaths and insufficient vaccines. Nobody in their right mind should consider coming here. It's a bio hazard zone with no functioning medical, economic or social program to deal with the pandemic. The deep red zones are characterised by tough unforgiving police tactics. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, searcher22 said:

Good to hear about the e-bike stores.

My final destination being Chiang Mai, I too will opt for the Bangkok ASQ. As you stated, it is safer. It also gives me three options once my ASQ is completed:

1: Hire a driver car to CM

2: Rent a car

3: Have someone from CM come down to BKK and pick me up.

Phuket is too far away for that.

I would be looking at 1 Hire a driver car to CM if flight or train wasn’t an option. Hopefully there are decent options early Nov so a few months away.

As long as you travel immediately from ASQ check-out and get to CM on the same day you would avoid the need for any ASQ (or equivalent) or self isolation. Is this your understanding? Also, any idea of the costs for a driver car BKK to CM?

I just think the way things are going with the sandbox schemes that the chances of catching Covid with the increased prevalence in the community are too high. Like you, I would prefer to take the 2 week hit and hole up to avoid the Risk.

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

CM was dead and desperate before COVID-19. A city effectively under martial law and police military occupation. One of the most oppressive/ oppressed cities in Thailand. 

I’ve been to CM a couple of times - last time for a couple of months just as Covid was starting to officially spread into Italy. Flew back mid Jan 20. Had a fantastic trip.

Each to their own - thanks for your input.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There is no progress except in overflowing hospitals, a growth of infections and deaths and insufficient vaccines. Nobody in their right mind should consider coming here. It's a bio hazard zone with no functioning medical, economic or social program to deal with the pandemic. The deep red zones are characterised by tough unforgiving police tactics. 

Do a per 100k population comparison with cities around the world and get some context re the current new infections / deaths. It wouldn’t make it into the top 150 for Europe.

Do you wait until everywhere is fully vaccinated before travelling? I’ve chosen not to - there are Risks in doing so but I’m prepared to take my chances.

Stay safe.

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nobody in their right mind should consider coming here.

So why do you stay here if you hate it so much?

Sorry I forgot you must already be living in cloud cookoo land as your descriptions/comments regarding CM are so far removed from reality. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

maybe in your next lifetime...

Perhaps

26 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

What many people don't get is that this virus is here to stay for a long time

Obviously

48 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Yeah, maybe in your next lifetime...

What many people don't get is that this virus is here to stay for a long time

So ... ?

Many diseases here for a long time. Should we all panic, moan and groan, spread doom and gloom, live in fear ?

Here is something to think about -

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

So ... ?

Many diseases here for a long time. Should we all panic, moan and groan, spread doom and gloom, live in fear ?

Here is something to think about -

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

No. That WAS my point. It's here, it stays, there's nothing we can do about it. Just go back to your normal way of life. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Carrbhoy said:

As long as you travel immediately from ASQ check-out and get to CM on the same day you would avoid the need for any ASQ (or equivalent) or self isolation. Is this your understanding? Also, any idea of the costs for a driver car BKK to CM?

Yes, that is my understanding, I saw one quote for 5500 baht from BKK to CM with driver.

1 hour ago, searcher22 said:

Yes, that is my understanding, I saw one quote for 5500 baht from BKK to CM with driver.

1 hour ago, searcher22 said:

Great - I’ll take a look nearer the time.