Thailand reports 17,345 new COVID-19 cases and 117 deaths

webfact

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I looked last night, Thailand was ranked 12th in the world based on its 7-day rolling average of new cases per day.  When you change that to per capita cases and rankings, Thailand was much lower on the list, below 30.

1272689911_2021-07-28Countriesrankedbydailycases(7dayrollingavg).jpg.6e2074cd51dffd7e08fa47725cbe9a8f.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases#what-is-the-daily-number-of-confirmed-cases

Yes, that is 7 day rolling average. Based on yesterday’s numbers, Thailand just beat Malaysia in absolute numbers of cases, I believe.image.jpeg.f9d38d96698a94b90d5bce12f4a02b77.jpeg

Edited by wensiensheng
Include chart

A post with content that was copy and pasted from the Bangkok Post has been removed as well as the replies:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

23 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Responding on a follow-up question by @ChannelNewsAsia on the same topic,

@USAmbThailand says that it is the responsibility of the Thai govt how the 1.5 mil donated Pfizer vaccines are being distributed, but supports their pledge to give it to front line medics and others at risk

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1420928179506610178

So the expats from the US and others are left out, or excuse me, might not see one of these doses

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Yes, that is 7 day rolling average. Based on yesterday’s numbers, Thailand just beat Malaysia in absolute numbers of cases, I believe.

On a single day basis, yes. Very close yesterday.

226304729.jpg.81eb0ec3f6a5aab4402dd4dcbaea7cd0.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/375279700757027/?type=3

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You don't think that maybe we have?  I accept it's unlikely, hence writing that I hope today's figures show this.  We can all hope.  

I don't think it is all that important whether we have passed the peak - what is much more important is that there is no exponential increase. It's not much of a consolation for those that are dying, but it is most important for us still alive.

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There was some discussion of the handling of the Pfizer doses in a MoPH document the other day that I clipped to save, as follows:

1973790898_2021-07-29Pfizerdetails.jpg.6fc5b89b3f6b1ed7d6e7e6c21864558b.jpg

So it might be from my anecdotal evidence to be expeditiously moved out for immediate use and storage.

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So the expats from the US and others are left out, or excuse me, might not see one of these doses

Yep. It's entirely up to the Thai government what they do with the vaccines, so expect lots of lip service about doing the right thing followed by the usual shady dealings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Samui plus just seems to be a mechanism whereby the island receives a greater share of vaccine supplies and allows residents to party as they would normally. There doesn’t appear to be much tourism involved.

I can't understand any part of the Samui thing. 

What's the cost of the flights to Samui? In the past they were always expensive as Bangkok airways the only carrier.

Did they really think Samui would be a success. 

How did things pan out for Black Bamboo bar. Don't understand how Thailand can try and run this duel system.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

there's supposed to be a 10% share set aside of the Pfizer doses for foreign nationals, which the MoPH has said will be targeted for the age 60+ segment.

But thus far, absolutely NO public details of how/where/when those 10% doses are going to be allocated.  Perhaps some update on that later today during the first public COVID briefing since last Monday.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, I guess I am a hopeful optimist. This daily thread soon puts a stop to that though!

Your optimism should be build on something. I mean you said it so many times that when the numbers go down that you think the peak is over. Of course if you repeat this often enough one day it will be true. But given the current situation i think your optimism is a bit misplaced.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Your optimism should be build on something. I mean you said it so many times that when the numbers go down that you think the peak is over. Of course if you repeat this often enough one day it will be true. But given the current situation i think your optimism is a bit misplaced.

I didn't say that I think we've reached the peak, I said I hope we have. 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

......Deaths are still over 100 a day and u.......

Sadly they will get higher as the death toll usually mirrors the infection rate ratio by two weeks in arrears. The ones dying now mostly became symptomatic two weeks ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I didn't say that I think we've reached the peak, I said I hope we have. 

So hope has no connection to reality ? ok my mistake. I don't often hope for miracles. Not to attack you or anything just trying understand it a bit. When i hope i take into account the chance. For lost cases I have little hope. But maybe it works different for optimists then for realists. 

Field hospital set up in Phuket Rajabhat University for Covid-19 patients

A second field hospital was set up at the Phuket Rajabhat University campus north of Phuket Town to accommodate and monitor the Covid-19 patients in the “green group,” which refers to Covid-19 patients that have mild symptoms to no symptoms. The patients’ symptoms will constantly be will be monitored and observed under the care system of Vachira Phuket hospital as according to the reports by Phuket Andaman news.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/field-hospital-set-up-in-phuket-rajabhat-university-for-covid-19-patients

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

So hope has no connection to reality ? ok my mistake. I don't often hope for miracles. Not to attack you or anything just trying understand it a bit. When i hope i take into account the chance. For lost cases I have little hope. But maybe it works different for optimists then for realists. 

Hope - the one thing left after Pandora opened the box and all evil contained therein escaped and spread over the earth

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

I don't think it is all that important whether we have passed the peak - what is much more important is that there is no exponential increase. It's not much of a consolation for those that are dying, but it is most important for us still alive.

It may not be exponential as you say but here's the reality. Infections have inceased by almost 550,000 in 4 months. April 1st total infections 28,889. Average around 137,500 p/m. In the same period deaths have risen by 4,585 with total deaths as of April 1st being 94. Average around 1,146 p/m. June 1st to today so about 2 months has seen and increase of 416,353 infections and 3,599 covid fatalities. This month with 1 day to go has seen an increase in infections of 313,541 and deaths increase by 2,599. This week with one day to go has seen 81, 073 (add tomorrow and close to 100,000 in a single wk) infections and 620 covid fatalities. At the current rate and being conservative next month will see >500,000 infections (this as I have previously stated will take Thailand into the 1,000,000+ infection club) and >2000 covid fatalities. Depressing figures in anyone's book. 

Edited by dinsdale

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Field hospital set up in Phuket Rajabhat University for Covid-19 patients

A second field hospital was set up at the Phuket Rajabhat University campus north of Phuket Town to accommodate and monitor the Covid-19 patients in the “green group,” which refers to Covid-19 patients that have mild symptoms to no symptoms. The patients’ symptoms will constantly be will be monitored and observed under the care system of Vachira Phuket hospital as according to the reports by Phuket Andaman news.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/field-hospital-set-up-in-phuket-rajabhat-university-for-covid-19-patients

Trying to get ahead of the cases it appears.  I hope they are successful.  I have many friends on the island and they are doing their best to stay positive but they just do not believe the sinovac vaccine they received will be much help and are looking forward to a booster.

20 minutes ago, anchadian said:

40K reserves for booster shots for Prayut and his government.

#Thailand distribution plan of US-donated Pfizer #COVID19 vaccines:

1) 700k for medical workers (booster)

2) 645k for high-risk Thais

3) 150k for elderly (incl foreigners), pregnant women, travelers who need Pfizer (e.g. diplomats, students)

4) 5k for researchers

5) 40k reserves

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1420950122679083014

I think there'll be little change from the 150K for foreigners after the elderly Thais, etc have been innoculated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I heard this morning that health care experts are predicting that in two weeks time 1/2 of Myanmar will be infected. Herd immunity without vaccination in a country where the health care system has virtually collapsed and doctors and nurses are being beaten and arrested by a dictorship. A true humanitarian disaster happening next door.

To think that a peak may have happened here is beyond wishfull thinking when they're talking about numbers approaching 30,000,000 in Mynamar in two wks time. I must stress again that because of a third world testing regime here numbers are far from reliable and it also means that only symptomatic and I would imagine a very low % of asymtomatic people are being found. The numbers here must and I repeat must be substantially higher than reported.

Vaccines. A country needs 70-80% fully vaccinated. This will not happen here until late nxt yr possibly going into 2023. 

I mentioned on another thread yesterday the possibility of a coup d'etat followed by martial law and a heavy lockdown. This possibilty I believe cannot ruled out.

There you go then. All gloom and not a hint of sunshine because in my opinion this reflects the reality of the moment.

"I mentioned on another thread yesterday the possibility of a coup d'etat followed by martial law and a heavy lockdown. This possibilty I believe cannot ruled out."

No need for that as the leader of the last coup is still in charge and cemented his (faction's) hold on power through a sham election with a new constitution giving him control over the entire Senate and most of the House of Representatives.

The only two ways he can lose control is by a popular uprising or losing the support of his backers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 914 new cases and 6 more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (286), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (67), and Si Racha (258). The total cases is now 24,420 with 11,441 patients in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1420895528313708545

Further details:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/30/chonburi-covid-19-cases-drop-to-914-with-six-new-deaths/

• Thanks 1