Norwegian in infection chaos in Thailand: Must go to Norway for vaccination

snoop1130

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can only speak for myself.

I pretty much did nothing, as you mentioned.

My plan was to wait until supplies became available. Was planning on waiting till end of year and paying at private hospital.

As I'm on the MRT decided to take up the 60+ offer at Bang Sue.

As it turns out you can 'fudge' where you live part so it is available for folk with access to Bangkok. One example Chonburi etc.

Dear Dr. Jack, I'm afraid a lot of (rich) falang people think: Thailand only consists of Bangkok and surrounding provinces plus Pattaya and maybe Phuket.

Not all farangs are as rich as you and other guys here in this forum.  In the remote (=other) regions there still isn't any vaccine available. You cannot receive any vaccine in the back of beyond (in Thailand), far away in the North or South. 

Even if you don't mind all this trouble - with the increasing danger of an infection during traveling - you have to spend a lot of time and money to go to BKK. You are not sure if you get the vax within the next day after arrival. More probably, you have to wate for many, many days or must go home and wate there for the appointment (?).

In general, I have the same idea as you, waiting just to the end of the year or so, until the better vaccines are available in private hospitals. But not in Bangkok!

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you think Thais all over the country think?

And what do you think would the elderly Thai think if the elderly farangs in Pattaya would get special treatment? 

I'm not even going to entertain that baiting question. Try that on someone else. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, Astra is better. But I think that is no reason to refuse another vaccine that is available. I got my two shots of Sinovac. Is it perfect? Sure not. Is it better than no vaccine. Sure. 

I would have taken that as well but it turns out my first real chance at a jab in Bangkok was AstraZenica. The best idea is take any of the brands ASAP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

People who acknowledged that a bad protection is a lot better than no protection. 

Like wearing a condom that has many tears in it that will allow your boys to flow forth while also allowing the possibility of being infected with the unknown, but hey it might still help "a little", no thanks,  I chose the AZ because I could see the difference in the studies done.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I sent them messages with details where they could register and get vaccinated.

Please post this valuable information so everyone can benefit.  A day long trip to Bangkok from Bang Sare is not in the cards for me.  Many have tried and failed.

56 minutes ago, Almer said:

They did but is it wise or even possible to travel to Bangkok with almost certainly 1 overnight at the age of 72 with 1 condition  that falls into the get vaxed group, i am living in Khonkaen.

Alternatively, he goes all the way back to Norway. Assuming, this story is a genuine story, it reflects badly on whoever it is who is giving grief to anyone in such a situation.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:43 AM, JudyB said:

I don't get why he 'has' to go to Norway. There are various options to be vaccinated here, especially at his age. Many governments are not vaccinating their own people abroad. As an 'elderly' Brit I have been vaccinated by the Thai government

Drama a bit........cry wolves.

2 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

Please post this valuable information so everyone can benefit.  A day long trip to Bangkok from Bang Sare is not in the cards for me.  Many have tried and failed.

Follow Richard Barrow on Twitter. He regularly post such information.

https://twitter.com/richardbarrow

And I suggest also follow your embassy and other institutions from your home country. Sometime they have opportunities. 

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, Astra is better. But I think that is no reason to refuse another vaccine that is available. I got my two shots of Sinovac. Is it perfect? Sure not. Is it better than no vaccine. Sure. 

And the Astras have to wait and wait while watching covid nuke Bangkok, like me. I have 7 more weeks till my next AZ.

15 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

All this hassle whit expat's vaccine dilemma is ridiculous! Why Thai goverment just not let private hospitals to buy and sell covid vaccines!? Also they can focus to give "normal" jabs to people who mostly needed, older etc. Ok maybe some dont like it that people who have money to buy can get that easy. 

I have heard that the manufacturers of the vaccines prefer to make contracts with the governments of the approximately 190-247 entities that could be called countries rather than try to make contracts with the approximately 160,000 hospitals (not including clinics, etc) around the world.  In my case, my doctor at the hospital where I have been a patient in the past contacted me and asked if I wanted AZ and he arranged the appointment.  I got dose 1 at the appointed time and place and the appointment for the next dose in 3 months, but I am in the way over 70 category with conditions. 

3 minutes ago, caughtintheact said:

I have heard that the manufacturers of the vaccines prefer to make contracts with the governments of the approximately 190-247 entities that could be called countries rather than try to make contracts with the approximately 160,000 hospitals (not including clinics, etc) around the world.  In my case, my doctor at the hospital where I have been a patient in the past contacted me and asked if I wanted AZ and he arranged the appointment.  I got dose 1 at the appointed time and place and the appointment for the next dose in 3 months, but I am in the way over 70 category with conditions. 

I see what you mean but loads of Thai doctors have been pushing the gov to open up the private route. Many of the big hospitals belong to just a few large groups or organizations that can negotiate, purchase and distribute to their members. Group member hospitals and clinics are situated in most parts of the country and this freedom would be enough to make a big difference in many ways. 

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is a great signature. Copyright by you or who said it first? 

Mine, life in Thailand in a nutshell. I'm sure you know this too.

It also applies to COVID. Thai know government announcements are mostly for show. Normally they smile, believe nothing, and go their way. But now they can no longer pretend all is normal so we see a lot of growing dissent. I think it will get worse.

• Like 2

everybody must assess their local vax circumstances, their own risk / preferences and act.

flying back home JUST to get vaxed appears irrational to me.....increasing your exposure & death risk hundred fold with long haul air travel........thailand perfect to simply lie low....exercise, healthy diet, relax, sunshine, sleep, isolated, all boosts immune system to increase survival chances.......

although at 77, virulent Delta surge probably panicked him into (wrong) emotional decision...

I booked AZ 1st jab , at 1st attempt, immediately phuket.win website opened for non- WP foreigners.

just waiting now for seemingly imminent govt. AZ 2nd jab.....

I would NOT be messed around. first attempt success or forget these flawed websites.

fall back would have been to go to vax centre, without appt, get out my small violin, produce my Pink Card / Yellow Housebook/ Age/ “Condition” (101kg !) and secure vax by pleaded concession.

btw I’ve seen that work. there was flexibility to allow two such cases each day .......

all negotiable here of course. used my status to arrange an earlier faster appt for next day.

actually used above strategy by visit to BPH private hospital to get (Oct) Moderna Option.

all jab slots gone in first ten minutes from BPH website opening by SMS.so probably too fast for me !

had not acted on SMS as relying on promised AZ 2nd jab & unsure about mixing vax......

new info four days later prompted BPH visit......

general rule: relying totally on 3rd world govts. or embassies for any health needs is pretty naive.........

great if or when they do (eventually) help,but you’re an adult & they are not your nanny/ mummy.......

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That is VERY MISLEADING!
For that program this month in which I also got a jab there was a registration period of mere minutes for 5 days with openings of only 100 slots per day. That's 500 total for that program for ALL OF THAILAND.

I'm competent enough on computers and through trial and error and closely following tips and tricks posted on this forum I was able to get a slot on the VERY LAST DAY. Yes, lots of effort, some skill, but a heck of a lot of LUCK. Surely not every elderly person has any chance of competing under those conditions. 

That said there was another option at MedPark in which the registration page was open for multiple days. So clearly they had many more than 500 there. The Norwegian guy indeed could have registered there if he had known about it. 

The first time I went to Phayathai 2 for my vaccination they told me they were vaccinating 950 people per day.  It looked like it.  When I went for my second shot on the 20th it looked even more crowded.  Definitely more than 100 per day.  But the second time could have been all people getting their second shot.  I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like this might be the real reason to return to Norway (from the story"):

There has been no development in their situation and Knut Hauslo and his wife also have no access to a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine in Thailand, so they have to travel back to Norway in August to have the long-awaited covid-19 vaccine. 

I guess we'd all like a choice...but we chose to live here too. Not impressed.

• Like 1

Thailand unlike civilized countries should make it easier for people to come back into the country with a certificate of vaccination from ones home country, but no they put the squeeze on and demand that you quarantine at a authorized property.  more kick back, more brown envelopes. i mean its just so asinine and transparent.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rwill said:

The first time I went to Phayathai 2 for my vaccination they told me they were vaccinating 950 people per day.  It looked like it.  When I went for my second shot on the 20th it looked even more crowded.  Definitely more than 100 per day.  But the second time could have been all people getting their second shot.  I don't know.

The AZ vaccine appointments for foreigners over 60 were 100 per day at Phyathai 2.

When I was there last week, looked like 75% of people were under 60 and getting Sinovac.  So yes, could be 950 total vaccines per day but most were Sinovac 

Edited by Skallywag

22 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I see what you mean but loads of Thai doctors have been pushing the gov to open up the private route. Many of the big hospitals belong to just a few large groups or organizations that can negotiate, purchase and distribute to their members. Group member hospitals and clinics are situated in most parts of the country and this freedom would be enough to make a big difference in many ways. 

If what I heard is correct, it is the manufacturers that do not want to deal with any entity but governments, because the fewer the number of parties involved, the faster the manufacturers can get on with their primary tasks... making and distributing the vaccines. So the real question may be whether or not the doctors understand that governments do not have much, if any, leverage, and even large hospital groups in one country would have no leverage in forcing the manufacturers to get involved in negotiating and writing hundreds of thousands of contracts (worldwide), which would slow things down distribution even more.  It is also critical that the vaccines be trackable as the more entitles involved the more chances for fraud, waste, and inaccurate data which could lead to bad medical policies and very bad health outcomes. In addition it does take time to make the vaccines, test and distribute them under strict controls, when the number of doses are likely to end up being 30 or 40 billion or more. 

19 minutes ago, rwill said:

No! You don't get it.

I was talking about the registration allotment for expats on their specific for high risk expats only registration page.

They explicitly published that was only for 100 expats a day for five days.

Fact.

That's why the registrations were full every morning in minutes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Some don't like it already but I agree. Let the people who can afford it pay at private hospitals, which should be allowed to source and market their own vaccinations. This would allow the gov to vaccinate many more of the less well-off and speed up the overall process, which is the clear priority to most of us, I think.  

sorry too simple for Thai government.

• Haha 1

I'm getting sick an  tired of the  poor me news articles. Times are tough and get over it and just do the best like the others who don't complain or wanting  someone to feel sorry for them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

He's 77.  He's likely going to have to hire a car to get him to the airport in Bangkok.  Why doesn't he just hire the same car to take him to Bang Sue, instead?  Expats over 75 years old are being vaccinated there and have been for several weeks now.  

Because he is special and thinks he should be able to chose any vaccine he likes.  AZ is not good enough for him and he thinks the Thai government should supply him with either Pfizer or Moderna.

It's outrageous that he doesn't get different treatment from everyone else in this country.  And he goes bleating to the press about it like he is hard done by!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JudyB said:

I don't get why he 'has' to go to Norway. There are various options to be vaccinated here, especially at his age. Many governments are not vaccinating their own people abroad. As an 'elderly' Brit I have been vaccinated by the Thai government

you are lucky I am 90 years old with a lot of chest problems. I have to go government hospital once a week for treatment. I can't get a vaccination unless I go to Bangkok. I am disabled and cannot travel very far it is five hours from where I live