Norwegian in infection chaos in Thailand: Must go to Norway for vaccination

snoop1130

14 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

Actually, he do not "have to travel back to Norway..."  He chooses to fly back to Norway.   Just like I don't "have to stay in Thailand" as I could chose to fly back to the US. 

But I choose to stay in Thailand and weather it out.  No one is twisting anybody's arms here.  These are choices, not imperatives.

I read the whole article, he lives in Pattaya. Worst thing that can happen is 'being forced' to drive 90 mins to Bangkok like many have done so far already. But, best is yet to come as he is a vaccine shopper (just learnt the term is a 'vaccine snob' after reading on ????) he complains that he cant get Pfizer/Moderna vaccines.

Let me know where you live Knut, leave your shoes out the front and I'll pop round and give them a polish.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, JudyB said:

I don't get why he 'has' to go to Norway. There are various options to be vaccinated here, especially at his age. Many governments are not vaccinating their own people abroad. As an 'elderly' Brit I have been vaccinated by the Thai government

Where ? Me and other expats in tak have been trying for months but get the same response thai people first?and we are all 70 plus with heath issues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Got my AZ vaccination at Phayathai 2 on Wednesday, an orderly, breeze for anyone who bothered to try to register continuously, early, every day when registration was offered.   I ended up with vaccination appointments at Phayathai 2, MedPark and Bangsue.   

Meanwhile in Pattaya NOTHING.  Four elderly farangs drove to Bang Sue.  Only one got through the screening process as he was over 75.

He's 77.  He's likely going to have to hire a car to get him to the airport in Bangkok.  Why doesn't he just hire the same car to take him to Bang Sue, instead?  Expats over 75 years old are being vaccinated there and have been for several weeks now.  Yes, a bit of a hassle but much less of a hassle than flying to Norway, and then back to Thailand.  Get it done in one day, repeat in a few months.  Much less chance of exposure, easier, and cheaper.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

You can travel to Norway. But don't forget what happens if you want to come back... 

yes, and Thailand will make you jump through hoops upon returning when a simple proof of vaccination and a PCR test could make it far easier.  typical Thai logic when the country can not vaccinate its population effectively.  punish the vaccinated.

13 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Total non-story. Nobody else has access to vaccines either. What makes this [guy] so special?

Not one bit of sympathy for a self-entitled diva.

He's 77.  He does have access to a free vaccine at Bang Sue.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I only showed interest in obtaining AZ vaccine last week and was able to obtain at Bang Sue on Tuesday.

What was the chaps main issue. Had he previously made unsuccessful attempts.

It certainly hasn't been straight forward for some.

I got mine at BS on Tuesday also. Mind you, if I'd known beforehand that I would have to stand in a huge queue outside, I may have had second thoughts. Not as bad though as sitting in a crowded airplane to Europe and back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

I'd known beforehand that I would have to stand in a huge queue outside

Strange, I didn't queue outside. 

Arrived at 3.30 and walked out at 5.

This thread is a nonsense. After my post I realized that the guy just wanted the jab of his choice. 

What's this thread about.....some random guy seeking attention.

• Like 1

I don't get why he 'has' to go to Norway. There are various options to be vaccinated here, especially at his age. Many governments are not vaccinating their own people abroad. As an 'elderly' Brit I have been vaccinated by the Thai government

I've had my jab, but now that Bang Sue is off the list I wonder if you'd be so good as to let those unvaccinated people know what the other options are. You know, the ones where you are guaranteed to be able to access the registration process. Bearing in mind, from my experience, the local hospitals haven't got any vaccine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Earlier this month Scandasia shared Dagbladet’s story of Knut Hauslo who is part of a group of elderly Norwegians permanently living in Thailand who hoped that the Norwegian Government would help them gain access to a vaccine. 

Maybe this will count as another case of fake news.

Prayut & Anutin saying they will take care of all foreigners in Thailand?

I'm German by passport, and I'm 100pct sure that German Embassy would not help me at all. So I just queue up for my vaccinations like Thai people do. No idea why this Norwegian guy can't do the same. 

24 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Meanwhile in Pattaya NOTHING.  Four elderly farangs drove to Bang Sue.  Only one got through the screening process as he was over 75.

I read about another who drove there,  saw the chaos and close proximity of people waiting and went home again.......

what's the pr

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the last weeks I saw several opportunities especially for people over 70.

He could get vaccinated in Thailand if he wants to and if he follows the news.

I also know a couple of older people who complain they didn't get vaccinated until now. I sent them messages with details where they could register and get vaccinated.

And then when I ask them I get answer like: I only want xyz vaccine and not any other. Or: Maybe another day. Lots of excuses. Don't blame the Thai government when YOU don't take the opportunities which are offered to you.

Right. Got my first shot of SinoPharm (~92% efficacy) at Chulabhorn Institute last week. Very professional operation. Free. Second shot in two weeks. No problem. The govt's doing its best, considering the shortage of vaccines everywhere. Friends in Oz are far worse off - and locked down.

• Like 2

I am "supposed" to leave soon for my VAX journey back to the USA.  I thought the challenge would be getting back into LOS.  Now it appears getting just to Bangkok from Chiang Mai could be a challenge  Bangkok Airways announced yesterday no domestic flights at least until Aug 11(of course this is subject to change).  Poor Knut looks like he lives down south so getting to Bangkok for him could also be a challenge.  

• Like 1

What a whiner... Why would your government have to provide a vaccin to you (and for free!) if you wish to live abroad, 10,00 kms away from your home? You live in Thailand, your choice, grow up and live with it or go back. I do agree that Thailand should be better organizing things here, and taxpayers should get the jab for free, but you can't ask your gov to make this happen far from home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Strange our headman came round taking the names of everybody, including date of brithday etc., I did nothing the school  I work at also took made us fill in an on line form. They told us last week we could go for jab, anytime. That was in Khong kaen, at my home in Phetchabun they send an appointment card and I have 3pm on the 4th jab number 84. Otherwise I have done no chasing around. some people just seem to create their own problems. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Really?My mother in law got 2 shots with Sinovac in April and May now she is having a great time in hospital with covid 19.In my wife's company all staff (90 persons) are vaccinated with Sinovac.Since last weekend 6 person's caught covid 19, 4 at home quarantine,2 at hospital.Hmm and I blame the Thai government for that they know the Chinese junk is not working but just don't care, different priorities.Now you can say why the Norwegian is not looking for an AZ shot,well in Europe some countries stopped using AZ out of whatever reason,here in Thailand not enough AZ and on top not that easy to get an appointment,and  not possible to predict which vaccine you will receive.So,no reason to blame the Norwegian guy,but all reasons to blame Thai government

It seems you think people with Sinovac vaccine can get Covid and people with other vaccines can't get it. Wrong! Everybody can get it with any vaccine. The difference is mostly how bad the symptoms will be, from mild to deadly.

This Norwegian guy decided at some point that he wants to stay in Thailand. He should have noticed that Thailand is not on a level with Norway in many ways. He should not expect the same service in Thailand like "at home" in Norway. And if he does expect the same kind of service then he is dreaming. We all make choices and our choices have consequences. At his age he should be aware of that principle.

He can obviously go home, good for him. But he shouldn't blame Thailand for his decisions. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:08 AM, mikebell said:

A number of my friends resident in Pattaya have confirmed appointments at MedPark for next week, and are travelling up together.
Likewise I made an appointment for this week and travelled up from Hua Hin to receive my jab, I'm not over 75.
That said, I'm led to believe that Bangkok vaccination points may now be restricting the service to Bangkok resident only, though I haven't seen anything official to confirm that. 

21 minutes ago, Mallory said:

what's the pr

Right. Got my first shot of SinoPharm (~92% efficacy) at Chulabhorn Institute last week. Very professional operation. Free. Second shot in two weeks. No problem. The govt's doing its best, considering the shortage of vaccines everywhere. Friends in Oz are far worse off - and locked down.

Good for you.

If you don't mind me asking: When did you register at Chulabhorn? I know people who registered on their website in May and they are still waiting for appointments. 

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am "supposed" to leave soon for my VAX journey back to the USA.  I thought the challenge would be getting back into LOS.  Now it appears getting just to Bangkok from Chiang Mai could be a challenge  Bangkok Airways announced yesterday no domestic flights at least until Aug 11(of course this is subject to change).  Poor Knut looks like he lives down south so getting to Bangkok for him could also be a challenge.  

Rental car airport to airport, or hire an driver! Case closed. 

I registered at my local hospital, signed up for vaccine, and got the first shot of Astrazeneca a week later. This is in a small town/village in Isan. I am registered in my gf housebook, but never used the local hospital before now. 

53 years old. 

Edited by Hummin

2 hours ago, Spilornis said:

Not often that I would point to Malaysia as a model of efficiency but its vaccine rollout has been among the best in the world (Sinovac efficacy aside).

Relies upon everyone registering on the national app (also used for venue scanning) and you get notified of an appointment time at one of the many mass vaccination centres.

Currently 40% of the adult population has its first dose and of the elderly who took Sinovac most have had their second.

Recently they have moved to offering Pfizer as well as AZ. (To overcome AZ reluctance it was offered to everyone by means of on line registration of interest. Available doses were booked out within 48 hours. The interval between doses for AZ is 9 weeks.)

No distinction that I know of was made between Malaysians and foreigners.

Malaysia like most SEA nations was very late in ordering vaccines.

Malaysia's vaccination program only really started rolling a month or two back, before that was barely moving. Yes it's much better now, but they did screw up like Thailand for not putting their eggs in different baskets earlier.  My Malaysia company's staff and friends, some in the high risk group, were only recently vaxxed despite registering in March. In fact their vaccination centre in KLCC the last few days resembles every bit like bang sue now with overcrowding. As for the sultans and king, they were able to procure vaccines on their own much earlier, some with mRNA vaccines that the national Vax program hasn't even ordered previously. The common people were left on the lurch earlier too like in Thailand. But I do applaud them for their turn around now. Better late than never.