Thailand reports record high of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

2 hours ago, Smithson said:

Are the homeowners who are employing them also Thai? Because they don't have the excuse of needing money. Mask wearing relaxed a little, but now is back to 100%. I never see people getting round without them. It seems there's been a lot more resistance to masks in Australia than here.

No the home owners are mostly Australian. This is the part that I find even more annoying. Having said that though I know that during the last lockdown they were telling clients that they were “essential workers”  so that does influence their thinking…but still though, it seems ridiculous on all fronts. They should be calling their customers and telling them they aren’t coming for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, it's great as long as you can avoid being among the nearly 1 percent of all COVID cases who die in Thailand OR among the 22 percent of all cases in the Bangkok region who end up being hospitalized with moderate to severe symptoms. Right now, nearly 4,700 COVID patients in Thailand in critical condition.

Other than that... it's a walk in the park.  ????

The chart below is for Bangkok region COVID hospitalizations as of July 24:

Red is critical, yellow is moderate, dark green is mild.

2043352630_2021-07-26HospitalizationsBreakdown.jpg.2ee53e6cb6a05b44ae0acd1f110df766.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/373181097633554/?type=3

3.7% critical is higher than I thought it would be. I kind of assumed that most people who are critical were being intubated and normally that’s very hard to come back from. If all those critical patients were to die, it’s quite a high death rate. So I guess some must recover. I’ve never seen any stats on how many critical patients recover, just ones for discharged.

10 minutes ago, geisha said:

Thé government missed the boat ! Instead of investing in vaccins as early as possible, they took a chance, not wanting to invest money. They clearly don’t understand pandemic. When you have a few cases, you can handle the situation, with 20. 000 cases a day , that means that those 20 000 have infected how many more, and as the numbers grow the situation worsens every minute of the day. As hardly anyone is vaccinated, that is where it gets out of hand and that’s where pandemonium sets it. 

No. The govt got on exactly the boat they wanted to. The CCP boat.

33 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Phuket Governor Narong Woonsiew said on Saturday that the tourism sandbox campaign in the province would not be affected by the increased screening measures to prevent imported Covid-19 cases. #Phuket #COVID19 #ThailandNews #TheNationThailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004009

I get the bit about restricting vehicles into Phuket. I also get the bit about allowing international arrivals to continue under sandbox rules. What I don’t get is this bit:

“People who for at least 14 days before arrival have received full doses of Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines, or one dose of AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson and Johnson will be allowed to enter the island.”

AFAIK, flights are cancelled, now vehicles are restricted, so how are these people anticipated to enter? Boat? Walk? It’s a repeat of existing restrictions, so maybe it applies to the Larry drivers etc who are still allowed to enter. Just seems a strange way of putting it.

also interesting is that he lists the weekly Covid case totals. There is clearly an increasing trend as cases go up every week. But he doesn’t seem to acknowledge that it means previous restrictions weren’t strong enough to reverse the trend. It just all seemed very reactive to me, rather than proactive. Which is how you get burned by a virus of course.

Edited by wensiensheng

This is the most comprehensive reporting that I have seen on the leaked CDC document. Some developments it seems.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/us-cdc-documents-sound-alarm-on-covid-19-delta-variant-15342084

despite the developments this paragraph remains relevant.

Vaccine efficacy estimates vary across countries, but in its concluding slide, the CDC estimates the risk of severe disease or death is reduced 10-fold or greater in the vaccinated, while risk of infection is reduced three-fold or greater.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zhounan said:

I don't understand why you keep highlighting positive cases in prison.
I think it's the only country in the world that does that.

It’s a historic thing to do with how prison cases were first included in the daily reporting. They have never bothered to change the format. There is no good reason for it other than that.

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I thought our fearless leader just the other day declared that he didn't want to see any more COVID patients dying at home (presumably because they couldn't receive hospital care). Well, so much for that one!

Im afraid more people will die at home, trying to get a hospital bed is nigh on impossible 

My brother in law tested positive 2 days ago we thought we had him a bed he stood in the que for two and half hours this morning only to be tested again then sent home, we will know this evening if he will get a bed or not, if not the family will ship him to Korat that half of the family are all nurses, lets see 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Once again, Thailand has more than twice the number of COVID deaths (178 vs 68) as the UK (two countries with similar populations), even though the UK is reporting significantly more daily cases... Vaccinations, vaccinations and testing, testing:

2021-07-31c.jpg.45c98f0f4b8a22c441ab084bbda2d73a.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/376678277283836/?type=3

In the UK the number of cases is falling, whilst in Thailand it's still rising. The UK's peak was during mid-winter, 29th Dec.

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

This is the most comprehensive reporting that I have seen on the leaked CDC document. Some developments in seems.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/us-cdc-documents-sound-alarm-on-covid-19-delta-variant-15342084

The only bright note being........

"But unlike previous mass outbreaks, hospitalisations are low - only seven so far, according to news website MassLive, and so far no deaths".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cunning Stunts said:

"But unlike previous mass outbreaks, hospitalisations are low - only seven so far, according to news website MassLive, and so far no deaths".

That. And also I edited my post to include this :

Vaccine efficacy estimates vary across countries, but in its concluding slide, the CDC estimates the risk of severe disease or death is reduced 10-fold or greater in the vaccinated, while risk of infection is reduced three-fold or greater.

Edited just now by wensiensheng

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Cunning Stunts said:

That's because of the large percentage of vaccinations they have. Thailands vaccinated percentage is very dismal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

In the UK the number of cases is falling, whilst in Thailand it's still rising. The UK's peak was during mid-winter, 29th Dec.

Yes, but I believe cases fell dramatically, and then started to rise again due to delta and reopening. So even if not at its previous peak, cases are rising. I haven’t seen a graph for a week or so, but don’t think they are falling off significantly again yet.

edit: I stand corrected, cases have been falling for the last 10 days in the UK. Graph in tall guys post below.

Edited by wensiensheng

It's going to breach 20,000 new cases soon..... pray for all who are infected.

It's rising in most countries in the world, even Australia is having a lockdown now.

Edited by EricTh

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Yes, but I believe cases fell dramatically, and then started to rise again due to delta and reopening. So even if not at its previous peak, cases are rising. I haven’t seen a graph for a week or so, but don’t think they are falling off significantly again yet.

Bunter's winter killerthon didn't help any.

13 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Ya, I didn't say UK cases were rising. I said the UK had more new cases than Thailand (which they do), despite much fewer deaths.

The UK has just had a turnaround / down trend in new cases in the past 10 days or so. The latest single day new cases figure for the UK is a bit under 30,000, in contrast to the July 21 peak below, which is based on a 7 day rolling average.

Screenshot_15.jpg.1551b65a08561387445c1fe04db3f271.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases?country=GBR#daily-confirmed-cases-per-million-people

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Kind of strange that even at this late point in the day, the MoPH appears to be reporting two different vaccinations totals for yesterday, as follows:

2021-07-31b.jpg.35d55e5c63d4ca0f373dfc51e1f9a780.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

2021-07-31d.jpg.75197466587c8f2c470a0e70447fc676.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/376678323950498/?type=3

Perhaps they're just slow in updating their "dashboard" site shown in the first image above. Although, all the other data on their dashboard site for the day has been updated and matches with their reporting elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

6 months to a year. Maybe more? One month is just delusional.

I'm a much derided optimist on this daily thread, but the idea of the lockdown continuing for a year or "maybe more" is unduly (and ridiculously) pessimistic!  Do you really think Thailand could survive that?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Absolutely awful. This Indian variant has been horrific. 

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

exactly was i was telling people since last year and not just manned but mine signs and they stop coming 555

New registration is available on the Thailand Intervac site for US citizens but I am sure it is for all 60+ who also have the 8 underlying medical conditions.  Good luck folks.

Event: Pre-Register to Receive COVID-19 Vaccine 

Please be informed that U.S. citizens should monitor the website below for updates regarding pre-registration for COVID-19 vaccinations.  The website will be updated as more vaccines and hospitals enter the program.

For pre-registration information, please click on this link: https://thailandintervac.com/public.php 

Please Note:  By registering with this website, your information is going directly to the Thai Government and hospital coordinating officials, not the U.S. Embassy. The U.S. Embassy will not have access to information on the form.

Resources for information on local COVID-19 restrictions include: 

40 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im afraid more people will die at home, trying to get a hospital bed is nigh on impossible 

My brother in law tested positive 2 days ago we thought we had him a bed he stood in the que for two and half hours this morning only to be tested again then sent home, we will know this evening if he will get a bed or not, if not the family will ship him to Korat that half of the family are all nurses, lets see 

One of Mrs Dog's friends reported that her brother-in-law got mild symptoms and tested positive in Bkk.  After a couple of days he got worse and tried to get a hospital bed but no hope of that. So he got himself to Ubon.  There he went for a test and had an apparently false negative result and was of course denied a hospital bed.  He had to go home to his family home where they are treating him with herbal remedies and presumably getting infected with COVID of whatever disease he is suffering from. Can't really blame anyone for this but it does seem very unfortunate, if it really is COVID. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

New registration is available on the Thailand Intervac site for US citizens but I am sure it is for all 60+ who also have the 8 underlying medical conditions.  Good luck folks.

Not much new on the Intervac website, though it looks like BNH Hospital in BKK and maybe Samitiivej Sriracha Hospital in Chonburi  may be new or recently  opened opportunities.

And yes, the target groups for now remain foreign nationals age 60 and older, those with the list of 7 chronic conditions, and pregnant women 12 weeks and beyond.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Absolutely awful. This Indian variant has been horrific. 

Out of all this i still don't understand how the virus entered Thailand - is it safe to assume the borders were never secure at any point? The unstable situation in India and Myanmar was probably the route into Thailand. Surely those borders should have been manned with the military. 

Indian virus variant found in Thai travelers from Pakistan
By CHALIDA EKVITTHAYAVECHNUKUL
May 10, 2021

BANGKOK (AP) — Health authorities in Thailand said Monday they have confirmed the country’s first cases of the Indian variant of the coronavirus, in a Thai woman and her 4-year-old son who have been in state quarantine since arriving from Pakistan.

https://apnews.com/article/pakistan-india-coronavirus-pandemic-health-156aa8c79dff83905cd9c12d33b90cb3

• Like 1