Thailand reports record high of coronavirus infections and deaths

webfact

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Good news for expats in #Thailand.

The @MFAThai and  @thaimoph

will be launching a new website for foreign residents to register for vaccination at 11:00am on Sunday:

http://expatvac.consular.go.th

Thank you Khun

@SangratTanee

for helping expats

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1421445597739982848

Thank you, it’s Consular Dept and MOPH and DDC actually.

https://twitter.com/SangratTanee/status/1421447497424142337

According to Khun

@NatapanuN

the new vaccination registration site to be launched on Sunday will be for “expats of all ages in all provinces who still have not been vaccinated to date”. To be clear here, if you’ve already had one shot, you cannot use this to get your 2nd shot.

https://twitter.com/NatapanuN

My bold type.

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yes, that's one of a few. Oxford has a new paper saying 'best' efficacy is after a 45 week delay! The good news is that after a long delay, AZ's efficacy is pretty good, but short of the mRNA vaccines. 

Not sure if you saw my added PS comment above:

But to cut thru the weeds here somewhat, if you know of something that looks at the AZ vaccine efficacy against the Delta variant based on a 12 week dosing interval, first and second shots, please do post it here... I'm not sure I've seen anything like that thus far....

5 minutes ago, rabas said:

The good news is that after a long delay, AZ's efficacy is pretty good, but short of the mRNA vaccines. 

And therein lies the rub...and the point of my prior comments re AZ vs mRNA...

Still short of the mRNA vaccines, which Thailand (except for the U.S. Pfizer donation that most of the country will never see) still does not have.

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

This was the location where the GF had her salon before the first lockdown, when that happened she had to close it and move to another location which was in Bang Na, and that is now closed.  She has sold off the majority of the equipment to her employees who are opening up their own 1 room salons in the small soi areas they live.  People still need to have their nails done and their hair cut and colored and many of these stylists are doing a trade with using the barter system.  I cut your hair Ms. shop keeper, you supply me with needed supplies and so on, just like the old days of hundreds of years ago.

Nonsense,my friend is a hairdresser she got shut down twice now started doing friends hair at her place at home got fined for that and this is in Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your point being what?

They were trying to convey how incompetent the authorities are in regards to the covid protection scheme   and the lack of mitigation standards ,I believe .

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

It’s ok also for yourself to believe that a comparison between the UK and Thailand arty is time where one is nearing the end of the vaccine program and has in the region of 90% vaccinated with at least one dose vs another which has something like 7%, is worthwhile because they have the same population. 

For me it’s worthless, and even more so for the reasons you and many others on here state re accuracy. 

It’s not surprising there is a clampdown on some of the reporting on social media. That comparison alone gives a false impression to any Thai reading it and could be interpreted as scare mongering. 

If people want to do comparison at least do one with another country who has only vaccinated a similar %. 

The point of a comparison isn’t just to compare identical countries at identical phases of the pandemic. It’s not always about whether one country is outperforming the other based on entirely the same set of circumstances.

for example, comparing the results of a highly vaccinated country against those of a lowly vaccinated country can be very useful/informative. You could say that is the case when comparing the UK and Thailand. Yes, there is all sorts of noise in the numbers, but to some extent those can be estimated and made allowance for.

so to say it’s worthless is going too far I think. It has worth, it simply has to be taken in the context of some variable factors.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The original strain was far less transmissible than either alpha or delta. Whether the original strain was circulating in Thailand or not is a point of debate.

Its not a debate, the original Chinese version is recorded in the international GISAID database as the major strain in Thailand's March 2020 outbreak. They also show that the famous stadium outbreak that looked more contagious was indeed a single burst of the more infectious G614 strain that hit the West so hard. The point begin that all these details are well known but not always reported in the MSM

Thailand's second peak was the D614 that came back through Bangladesh, somewhat evolved, then Alpha, then Delta. Then ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Nonsense,my friend is a hairdresser she got shut down twice now started doing friends hair at her place at home got fined for that and this is in Pattaya.

What is nonsense then? The experience of his gf is different to your gf. Different province, different police force presumably. Just because his experience is different to yours doesn’t make  his nonsense, it just highlights a variation in the application of laws in different provinces.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure if you saw my added PS comment above:

But to cut thru the weeds here somewhat, if you know of something that looks at the AZ vaccine efficacy against the Delta variant based on a 12 week dosing interval, first and second shots, please do post it here... I'm not sure I've seen anything like that thus far....

The Public Health England one does I think and its the largest study so far with Delta vs AZ and Pfizer:

Two doses of the Pfizer vaccine had an effectiveness of 93.7% at preventing symptomatic alpha infections, and 88% for the delta variant.

Two doses of AstraZeneca were found to be 74.5% effective at preventing symptomatic alpha infections, and 67% for delta.

However, the effectiveness of the vaccines plummeted if a patient had only received one dose of either vaccine: the study found both to be just more than 48% effective against alpha and only about 30% effective against delta.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2021/07/21/study-finds-pfizer-and-astrazeneca-vaccines-effective-against-the-delta-variant---as-long-as-you-get-both-doses/?sh=244bfe03480b

Edited by Bkk Brian

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

The Public Health England one does think and its the largest study so far with Delta vs AZ and Pfizer:

Two doses of the Pfizer vaccine had an effectiveness of 93.7% at preventing symptomatic alpha infections, and 88% for the delta variant.

Two doses of AstraZeneca were found to be 74.5% effective at preventing symptomatic alpha infections, and 67% for delta.

However, the effectiveness of the vaccines plummeted if a patient had only received one dose of either vaccine: the study found both to be just more than 48% effective against alpha and only about 30% effective against delta.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2021/07/21/study-finds-pfizer-and-astrazeneca-vaccines-effective-against-the-delta-variant---as-long-as-you-get-both-doses/?sh=244bfe03480b

Those are the AZ/Delta stats I quoted above. But on Rabas' point, I think they measured the one shot effectiveness in that after 3 weeks, not 11 weeks (i.e.) just prior to what would be a later 12th week second shot.

• Like 1

Just now, rabas said:

Its not a debate, the original Chinese version is recorded in the international GISAID database as the major strain in Thailand's March 2020 outbreak. They also show that the famous stadium outbreak that looked more contagious was indeed a single burst of the more infectious G614 strain that hit the West so hard. The point begin that all these details are well known but not always reported in the MSM

Thailand's second peak was the D614 that came back through Bangladesh, somewhat evolved, then Alpha, then Delta. Then ...

Okaaay. Let me detail what I meant. Yes Covid was circulating initially. Then there were many months of very few or no cases countrywide. The point of debate is whether during that period of officially no or next to no cases, Covid was actually circulating but was undiscovered due to lack of testing.

In other words the period between the original strain outbreak in March 2020 and up to the samet sakhon outbreak. some say Covid must have been circulating widely during that period despite there being very very few officially recorded cases. Others say the official numbers were correct. It’s a debate because there is a difference of opinion.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, he's correct. The second vaccinations chart I posted above does go back to Feb. 28, when Thailand first began doing vaccines. The June 7 date is the start of the bigger national campaign.

But I don't see anything in the first blue colored vaccinations chart (the MoPH Dashboard data) that says whether its numbers are back to Feb. 28 or June 7...  And I don't see any mention of the chart starting in April.

drop down box, lower of 2 boxes top right above green 10,750

44 minutes ago, SteveB2 said:

Hello All... Here is my live report

I travelled from Pattaya to Bangkok SVM Airport today 31 July 2021 with a bus full of the Sandbox 'New tourists' - I drived them there myself so as to able to handle any <deleted> the Thai goverment migtht try to throw at our 'happy group'.... well...

There was NOT ONE road block/check point - even though we had all registerred on the BS govenernment web site for inter province travellers,

At the BKK SVM airport - not one hand wash dispenser worked - all the medical staff looked bored. Really bored.

Bangkok SVM Airport was a complete ghost town. No shops open 'ZERO' were open. ZERO. Its finnished. The Airport and its tourist services are non-existant.

///

Some one, somehwhere is looking at zero tax revenue, zero rental income. Billions... Maybe trilions of revenue gone missing.

How did sandbox tourists get to Pattaya in the first place?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, riparian said:

drop down box, lower of 2 boxes top right above green 10,750

The vax numbers listed in blue there don't change, no matter which of those two time frame options you choose in the pull-down menu on the MoPH Dashboard website.

The default settings shows stats in general since the beginning. The pull down option gives you the choice to choose only since 4/1/21... but doing so doesn't change the vax stats there either way.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

.  People still need to have their nails done and their hair cut and colored ………

They really don’t. 

If Thailand was serious about a having a real meaningful Lockdown then hairdressers /salons would close and mixing with people outside your bubbble like these kind of examples would cease. 

Of course the people don’t have the luxury of being paid to stay off work like they did on the UK so in reality it would never be as effective. 

Sadly until the UK enforced it a max of 1000-1500 died per day depending on which numbers you believed. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The vax numbers listed in blue there don't change, no matter which of those two time frame options you choose in the pull-down menu on the MoPH Dashboard website.

No, but there's a date there

3 minutes ago, farangman said:

I believe they would have flown to utapao

I didn’t realize there are flights from Phuket to Utapao. I guess if they came into Phuket early July, then from 14th July onward some will have been eligible to fly there.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS -  But to cut thru the weeds here somewhat, if you know of something that looks at the AZ vaccine efficacy against the Delta variant based on a 12 week dosing interval, first and second shots, please do post it here... I'm not sure I've seen anything like that thus far....

I think the long 12 week delay has been standard since Feb/March, which would cover any studies on Delta's efficacy.  I don't know of one off hand.

"The UK introduced its policy of leaving a 12-week gap between Covid-19 vaccine doses at the end of December 2020."  Ref

4 minutes ago, rabas said:

I think the long 12 week delay has been standard since Feb/March, which would cover any studies on Delta's efficacy.  I don't know of one off hand.

"The UK introduced its policy of leaving a 12-week gap between Covid-19 vaccine doses at the end of December 2020."  Ref

Except for whatever reason, this spring, the Public Health England folks used THREE WEEKS after the first shot as their first dose effectiveness measuring point, not 11 or 12 weeks....

"The same research, conducted between 5 April and 6 May, showed the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is 33% effective against the variant three weeks after the first dose. So it’s really important to get the second dose when you get offered it."

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It allows you the alternative to only count cases and deaths since April 1 2021, and not since the beginning... But either way, the vax numbers in the blue box stay the same.

Agreed, but some of the other figures do change, so it looks like the graphic isn't working properly.  Anyway, it's only an idea as to why the numbers are different.

• Like 1

Danged scientists!!!!

This stuff is infernally confusing and bewildering, and they don't do themselves any favors in the technical / non-comprehensible ways they often write up this stuff.

For example, I've been reading for weeks now all the Thai virology reports talking about antibody levels from the various vaccines and how, especially for Sinovac, they wane relatively quickly with time.. OK, never really dug into that... but just listened.

So then the other day, I'm reading one of the scientific publications from the U.S. where it notes that antibody info is interesting and perhaps indicative, but that scientists right now aren't able to draw any definite correlations/connections between antibody levels alone and just how well any given vaccine really is at preventing COVID illness and death (beause other factors come into play).

But, never heard any of that in the various Thai news reports recounting the Thai virology studies, which seems to make them a whole lot less meaningful that they appeared at first glance.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except for whatever reason, this spring, the Public Health England folks used THREE WEEKS after the first shot as their first dose effectiveness measuring point, not 11 or 12 weeks....

"The same research, conducted between 5 April and 6 May, showed the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is 33% effective against the variant three weeks after the first dose. So it’s really important to get the second dose when you get offered it."

That's interesting.  Is see this train of articles from media to original study.  I don't see indication that they have moved double dose AZ to a 2/3 week schedule (does not mean they didn't)

Note in the first article, the author used boilerplate text for Pfiizer and AZ, both saying. "So it’s really important to get the second dose when you get offered it."

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-variant====>

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-b-1-617-2-variant-after-2-doses====>

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.22.21257658v1

32 minutes ago, riparian said:

Agreed, but some of the other figures do change, so it looks like the graphic isn't working properly.  Anyway, it's only an idea as to why the numbers are different.

and if my theory is correct then -91,603 (that's minus 91,603) people were double jabbed in March... oops!

24 minutes ago, rabas said:

measuring 3 weeks after the first dose...consistent with the info I posted above:

"both vaccines were 33% effective against symptomatic disease from B.1.617.2, 3 weeks after the first dose..."