British food shops on Samui?

53 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Can't beat a well made Fish and Chips, a Sunday Roast or a Shepherd's Pie. I think even the French do something similar called Hachis Parmentier d'Agneau. Smoked Haddock Chowder on a cold day.

Don't know where you are from, but every country has some foods that others won't like. Each to their own.

For me was always an English breakfast the full monty

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Can't beat a well made Fish and Chips, a Sunday Roast or a Shepherd's Pie.

I have tried Fish and Chips several times here in Thailand, it never tastes the same as in the UK and to me is always disappointing. Trips down memory lane, My favourite meal as a kid was my mums rabbit stew with dumplings, pearl barley, spuds n carrots.  There was no 'fussy' eating, as kids, food was put in front of us and we gobbled it down whole heartily.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have tried Fish and Chips several times here in Thailand, it never tastes the same as in the UK and to me is always disappointing. Trips down memory lane, My favourite meal as a kid was my mums rabbit stew with dumplings, pearl barley, spuds n carrots.  There was no 'fussy' eating, as kids, food was put in front of us and we gobbled it down whole heartily.

There was a place that served good fish and chips (not British fish species) in the Kiwi Pub & Grill in a small soi off Sukhumvit Soi 8. The restaurant was called Snapper or New Zealand Snapper and has now moved to Sathorn I believe.

https://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/bangkok-restaurant-reviews/kai

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Can't beat a well made Fish and Chips, a Sunday Roast or a Shepherd's Pie. I think even the French do something similar called Hachis Parmentier d'Agneau. Smoked Haddock Chowder on a cold day.

Don't know where you are from, but every country has some foods that others won't like. Each to their own.

Shepherd's Pie or Cottage Pie, what's the difference?     (I know, just testing you)

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Shepherd's Pie or Cottage Pie, what's the difference?     (I know, just testing you)

I know the difference. ????  I often make Cottage Pie here as I find it difficult to find inexpensive lamb here.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I have tried Fish and Chips several times here in Thailand, it never tastes the same as in the UK and to me is always disappointing.

Shakespeare Pub's fish and chips (and mushy peas) never disappoint. Hidden away in Plai Laem.

The fish is in beer batter and proper chips.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

You forgot to mention eg Black Pudding. Delicious ????. But then..... if you know what's the ingredients....????

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Shakespeare Pub's fish and chips (and mushy peas) never disappoint. Hidden away in Plai Laem.

The fish is in beer batter and proper chips.

I can buy Co-Op mushy peas on line and live nowhere near Plai Laem wherever that might be and proper chips from Macro. I live in Trat Province. but thanks anyway. Now lunch time and time for my Anchor Cheddar cheese, tomato and Hinze ploughman's pickle sandwich on Rye.

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Us non-British can (easily) beat that, but you British folks might not enjoy our excellent gourmet alternatives...???? - mind you that you spoil our high quality Danish bacon by boiling it, whilst we fry it to a delicious crispy state, whilst you complains that we spoil it by burning it - and so we are so different, even we're not that far apart...????

Another thing we continental foreigners don't understand is the love for 57 varieties of oven baked beans...

d0e6508db3e6092897a5a6d768e6fd37.jpg

However, I still enjoy a full English breakfast, even with boiled bacon...????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I can buy Co-Op mushy peas on line and live nowhere near Plai Laem wherever that might be and proper chips from Macro. I live in Trat Province. but thanks anyway. Now lunch time and time for my Anchor Cheddar cheese, tomato and Hinze ploughman's pickle sandwich on Rye.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Hayward's Piccalilli for Cheddar for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Us non-British can (easily) beat that, but you British folks might not enjoy our excellent gourmet alternatives...???? - mind you that you spoil our high quality Danish bacon by boiling it, whilst we fry it to a delicious crispy state, whilst you complains that we spoil it by burning it - and so we are so different, even we're not that far apart...????

Another thing we continental foreigners don't understand is the love for 57 varieties of oven baked beans...

However, I still enjoy a full English breakfast, even with boiled bacon...????????

KhunPer. We don't eat boiled bacon for breakfast. Grilled or fried same as you.

A boiled ham is a different dish altogether. Often served with boiled potatoes, cabbage and carrots.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

What? .... Check your facts my friend. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I can guarantee most Brits don't boil their bacon.

British food is no better or worse than most Northern European countries... Germany, Scandinavia etc

The best food in Europe is in Italy, Spain and France. End of discussion. Close thread.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, phetphet said:

KhunPer. We don't eat boiled bacon for breakfast. Grilled or fried same as you.

A boiled ham is a different dish altogether. Often served with boiled potatoes, cabbage and carrots.

You don't fry bacon enough for the taste of Danes, for us it's like boiled...????

d32d19_b77fddb9b5e74397b15439b404932379~

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What? .... Check your facts my friend. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I can guarantee most Brits don't boil their bacon.

British food is no better or worse than most Northern European countries... Germany, Scandinavia etc

The best food in Europe is in Italy, Spain and France. End of discussion. Close thread.

I presume you are not in a humorous mood today, I sincerely excuse if I have offended you and British food...????

• Haha 1

Just now, khunPer said:

I presume you are not in a humorous mood today, I sincerely excuse if I have offended you and British food...????

Not offended, but if you don't mean boiled don't say boiled!

When you get the chance get down to Bangrak cafe. Tell me what you think of the bacon there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 5:16 AM, ChipButty said:

Yep sandwich with loads of mustard and salads 

Salad? Give over. Piccalilli for me. Has OP found a Manchester tart yet? Babbies yeds?

Edited by champers

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

You don't fry bacon enough for the taste of Danes, for us it's like boiled...????

d32d19_b77fddb9b5e74397b15439b404932379~

They look to be two completely different cuts of bacon. As for the second one, the term "burnt to a crisp" comes to mind. ????

5 minutes ago, phetphet said:

They look to be two completely different cuts of bacon. As for the second one, the term "burnt to a crisp" comes to mind. ????

Exactly. Streaky bacon should be crispy. Back bacon should be cooked slowly to keep the texture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1