Thailand reports another record high in new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--New record daily high of 20,920 new COVID cases (+720), surpassing yesterday's prior record 20,200 total. Second consecutive day of 20,000+ new daily cases.

--160 new COVID deaths, Thailand's fourth highest daily death toll of the pandemic, brings the nation's total to 5,663 fatalities. Today's number is down from the record high 188 reported yesterday.

--New record high 4,993 COVID patients in critical condition (+83), up from prior record 4,910 yesterday.

--New record high of 1,058 critical COVID patients on ventilators (+23), up from 1,035 yesterday.

--New record high total of 213,910 COVID patients (+2,834) as active cases in various kinds of treatment/monitoring, including 87,150 in traditional hospitals and 126,760 in other types of monitoring/treatment. Up from the 211,076 reported yesterday.

--The 17,926 COVID patients listed as released and recovered is again substantially exceeded by the day's number of 20,920 new cases.

2021-08-05a.jpg.a1f7deea72f4a6f17b86df1f2e24e9f2.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Does the number 4009 represent people who tested positive via rapid Antigen tests?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 1,312 new cases and 7 more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (276), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (207), and Si Racha (374). 15,759 patients are now in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1423074197400477700

Cases up a third in a few days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

Far too many of the vaccines that have been administered so far have gone to people who have been cherry picked or have had strings pulled from them by people of influence.

The elderly and sick are missing out time and time again.

Do you have any hard data to back up this statement? I personally know several "at risk" elderly expats who received their first AZ jab already...and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital is calling high risk individuals for vaccines they have in their records.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

4 minutes ago, drenddy said:

Thailand reports another daily high of recovered patients...Boring?

As I previously posted I believe these are not recovered but released from hostital care i.e. home isolation or community isolation. They are not recovered.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's difficult. Sometimes it's not a solution but best alternative.

For me, we see the median # of new cases is often ~ 67.

That of course means that half of new cases are 67+.

The focus moving forward should be vaccination of 60+ and of course front line workers.

The Phuket joke is a slap in the face to the rest of Thailand. Just shows lack of understanding.

Recently there seems to be push to vaccinate 60+. Hopefully that can continue.

BTW I'm not suggesting it's a solution however at least it's a strategy.

Naturally we need to buy time with continued lockdown and more importantly control of inter province travel. 

so you are basically saying vaccination should be No1 priority - that's something new lol

and in the meantime lockdown to contain until sufficient numbers are vacinated - another strategic revelation lol

genius :post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

As I previously posted I believe these are not recovered but released from hostital care i.e. home isolation or community isolation. They are not recovered.

Rubbish. Anything other than. 'I believe'

I seem to recall some Govt. figure stating, about a month ago, that we might reach 10,000 cases per day before the end of the year...  ????

Living in Bangkok, C19 seemed like something that was happening to other people, elsewhere in the world, or to Burmese workers in Samut Sakhon.  Now I personally know half a dozen people who have or had Covid and my wife knows another half dozen, one of whom has died.

It's getting real and it's just going to get worse.

• Like 1

With more than 20,000 new COVID cases daily now, the current growth of cases is far exceeding the government's own worst-case projections of just several weeks ago.

Their worst case scenario was about 32,000 new cases per day by the end of October, and the current trend line would well exceed that if the current rate of case growth continues.

I added the red line below to show the current case levels of 20,000 per day in early August.

Around July 19, when the government released this projection, the daily case count was around 11,784, as shown by the purple shading in the lower section of the graphic.

1355056618_2021-07-9MahidolCOVIDprojectionb.jpg.8b507095090476c89d74b212929bcb7d.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/368286208123043/?type=3

• Like 1

Just now, Olmate said:

Rubbish. Anything other than. 'I believe'

People are being released from hospital into home isolation or community isolation. Asymtomatic or mildly symptomatic the so-called green patients. We know this to be fact. If they are recovered why would they have to isolate? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

so you are basically saying vaccination should be No1 priority - that's something new lol

and in the meantime lockdown to contain until sufficient numbers are vacinated - another strategic revelation lol

genius :post-4641-1156694572:

Think your missing the point. 

I'm saying that vaccination of 60+ group should be #1 priority with a bullet. Yes some recent noise re appointments for that group. It's also a mindset thing. You don't try and vaccinate 70% of Phuket all ages as a sideshow.

Lockdown with emphasis on inter province travel restrictions. 

Which also has not been done. Travel is free and easy so to speak. 

Don't even dream this is a lockdown. 

It's a set of basic restrictions.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think your missing the point. 

I'm saying that vaccination of 60+ group should be #1 priority with a bullet. Yes some recent noise re appointments for that group. It's also a mindset thing. You don't try and vaccinate 70% of Phuket all ages as a sideshow.

Lockdown with emphasis on inter province travel restrictions. 

Which also had not been done. Travel is free and easy so to speak. 

Don't even dream this is a lockdown. 

It's a set of basic restrictions.

Your first point is reasonable. The rest of it you fail. 

How many of you have even asked yourselves, because I don’t see it if you do, “what if I was working, had three kids to feed, and my wife and I lost our jobs due to covid”. 

This seriously does not eve on dawn on a single person in here. Quite amazing. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

People are being released from hospital into home isolation or community isolation. Asymtomatic or mildly symptomatic the so-called green patients. We know this to be fact. If they are recovered why would they have to isolate? 

Only one case but here it is.

Thai friend 50 feeling ill almost couple weeks back. Gets test private hospital.

Positive. Symptoms mild.

Tries to get into hospital.

Told to isolate at home. 

Checks into a hotel as has wife +couple kids.

Few days later admitted to hospital when bed available. (Had bleeding nose however possibly unrelated).

In hospital had chest x ray. (BTW very heavy smoker) and presented mild symptoms. Fever, bad cough. Then showed improvement.

Just yesterday released and told to isolate at home for next 14 days.

??

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Exactly.. They are notincluded in the 'released'totals.

28 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Judging by what me and (more importantly) my wife are being told when talking to locals the numbers is highly inaccurate. Most people we talk to know/know of several people sick from Covid and riding it out at home so extrapolating from that the figure should be much higher.

The  official numbers cant be expected to include untested people at home surely.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Only one case but here it is.

Thai friend 50 feeling ill almost couple weeks back. Gets test private hospital.

Positive. Symptoms mild.

Tries to get into hospital.

Told to isolate at home. 

Checks into a hotel as has wife +couple kids.

Few days later admitted to hospital when bed available. (Had bleeding nose however possibly unrelated).

In hospital had chest x ray. (BTW very heavy smoker) and presented mild symptoms. Fever, bad cough. Then showed improvement.

Just yesterday released and told to isolate at home for next 14 days.

??

Point is are such cases still in care of hospital. Did.he receive clearance/disharge? 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Only way to tell is when the daily numbers are released and looking back at those figures they definitely have not made it into todays total.

I was also wondering if the 14 Squaddies that were helping out a Mangosteen Trader and caught Covid have also been included.

Apparently they were assigned to help this Trader because the guy couldnt get enough Labour.

Working these Soldiers in the Hospitals. Morgues and testing people would be more appropriate.

Another disgraceful waste of resources for financial gain.

• Like 1

Why Phuket's 'Sandbox' pilot project matters to other islands in Asia

Before the pandemic, the picturesque Thai island -- known for its sun-soaked beaches, diverse dining scene and colorful nightlife -- was ranked the 15th most-visited place in the world by UK-based market research company Euromonitor International

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-phuket-sandbox-model-asia-cmd/index.html

• Thanks 1

BANGKOK, Aug 5 (TNA) – Rescue volunteers urged the government to solve the problem of widespread substandard oximeters which they said harmed users.

The Thai News Agency learned from rescue volunteers supplying oxygen generators and cylinders to the houses of severe COVID-19 patients that substandard oximeters affected the rescuers’ assessment of patients’ conditions and oxygen assistance for patients in need could be dangerously delayed.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-752570

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1