Thailand reports another record high in new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand on Thursday reported 20,920 new COVID-19 cases, another record high for daily new infections.

● 20,658 new infections

● 262 prison / prison infections

New deaths: 160

Total infections since April 1: 664,442

Total number: 693,305 cases with 5,663 deaths

The news comes as health officials on Wednesday confirmed the Delta variant is now the dominant variant in Thailand, found in 78.2% of cases throughout the country.

CovidStats5Aug.png

asean_now_BB.jpg

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 1,312 new cases and 7 more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (276), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (207), and Si Racha (374). 15,759 patients are now in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1423074197400477700

The cases are down just a tad, but the 7 deaths are also a concern.  Does this meet or exceed the daily high for deaths in the Chonburi province?

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How many more "record daily high" days of everything COVID related is it gonna take before the government figures out what they're currently doing is NOT working???

They have to be pulling their hair out, but then who truly is to blame.  Are there internal power struggles going on between factions and groups in play that we do not see.  I know that there has been questions over releasing funds from the budget to assist folks, but why wouldn't there be a unanimous votes to use the needed funds.  Who is bowing their backs and what do they expect in turn for supporting the move.  Personal Politics should have no bearing at this point as all people are in the same boat, or are they. Yes rhetorical questions and statements.  Stay safe.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I remember not all that long ago in the scheme of things some on here saying numbers have satalalized at or around 2,000. Then it was 3,000. At the time there were also us 'doomsayers' warning about such optimism. Don't hear from anyone that numbers have stabalized any more. The spread will continue sadly. Some may argue against this and that's up to you but without active not reactive mass testing and 70-80% of adults being vaccinated the spread will continue. Children are now also a point of concern when it comes to transmission.

So far for this wk there have been 77,991 new infections and 673 deaths. 

Your view of 100k for the week and over 1k in deaths looks more and more like it will be eclipsed at this rate.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder if the Petchabun cluster has found its way into any of these statistics. On 24th July a 1000+ cluster ( none with  serious symptoms ) was reported at Saha Farms chicken processing factory. That should have caused a big jump in the national statistics ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

I wonder if the Petchabun cluster has found its way into any of these statistics. On 24th July a 1000+ cluster ( none with  serious symptoms ) was reported at Saha Farms chicken processing factory. That should have caused a big jump in the national statistics ?

In the distant past, I think we will hear no more of the Phetchabun chicken plant.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Only way to tell is when the daily numbers are released and looking back at those figures they definitely have not made it into todays total.