Swiss tourist dead, believed raped, murdered in Phuket Sandbox

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

With the Investigation into this wholly repugnant and savage crime, I only hope that the RTP will conduct themselves with some kind of dignity, and not turn the whole thing into something the same as the Kho Tao murders of the Two young British backpackers a while back.

Dignity from the RTP will show dignity to the deceased and Her family, something that was very sadly missing in the Kho Tao case.

The whole thing was a complete Circus, and even to this day there are many that believe the Two young Burmese Lads that were convicted were used to cover up the real culprits of the crime and were made scapegoats.

This poor Woman deserves at least some respect from the RTP, as would all victims of such a dreadful crime.

If you think Koh Tao investigation was bad, remember that time they forced a hill tribe guy to masturbate so they could frame him for the murder of Kirsty Jones?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, allanos said:

I am NOT an armchair sleuth, an amateur Sherlock. But perhaps we should examine other possibilities, something out of the box, maybe.

What occurs to me, simplistically maybe, is that the Swiss lady was befriended in or around her resort accommodation, by, possibly, a Westerner.

They choose to go for a walk together to the waterfall area, and he decides to try his luck. She refuses his advances and one thing leads to another. Once the guy has raped her, there is a kind of no turning back . . . 

Would the perp have hung around, or hopped on the first flight out of Phuket? Possibly the RTP should start examining those who checked out of their hotels early, or examine the passenger manifests on flights over the past few days, to narrow the search down?

After saying you are not an "armchair sleuth", you go ahead and become an armchair sleuth.

Best you stick to your day job, or if retired, have another beer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

I used to live a kilometer from the falls and went there often. If she was a simple tourist, which I doubt, I am surprised she knew of this place. I think somebody had to have told her, or taken her there, or she already had experience of it. There are only around six houses on that road, so not a lot of people around. Pretty sad place to die. Light to her soul journey. And let’s hope they get the person who did this. 

Indeed, a quiet area though in recent years, the Ao Yon/Kao Khad area has had quite a lot of development.   Likewise, I'm familiar with the area, and it does attract people who want a quiet vacation.   She's a repeat visitor to Phuket, so having done her 14 days at the Dusit Thani in the north, and a few days in Krabi, headed for Ao Yon.   I'm confident that she had been there before (the area) and not just a lucky dip Google search.

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

I used to live a kilometer from the falls and went there often. If she was a simple tourist, which I doubt, I am surprised she knew of this place. I think somebody had to have told her, or taken her there, or she already had experience of it. There are only around six houses on that road, so not a lot of people around. Pretty sad place to die. Light to her soul journey. And let’s hope they get the person who did this. 

Indeed, you know what I'm talking about.   It's not the place you go when it's dark, purely because it's not safe to walk with the obstacles (rocks/tree roots etc).   I used to walk my dogs up there and sometimes swim with them in one of the pools (depending on the season).

41 minutes ago, chang1 said:

You think wrong.

Been here a week now and it is great. Quiet Phuket is like going back 20 years. People are friendly, beaches quiet, no jet ski's or speed boats, few taxi vans, good temperature with a nice onshore wind, not much rain, empty restaurants and roads etc. I have yet to try the Patong nightlife but for a family holiday it is very pleasant. 

If you are looking for this then you might have found your paradise. It was like this about 30 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tony125 said:

No it's not, any woman who is not built like a WWE femzon or is skilled  in self defense should not walk around strange or even known areas alone.  Doesn't have to be in the company of a man but should not travel alone. 

As Phukets Sandbox totters on the brink, your best response is the old; 'lets blame the victim' gig?! Given Thailand's past problems on this very issue, tourists being physically attacked, or worse. This is a very visible and ugly reminder of that old problem, just as the sandbox program falters due to a new one.

Maybe not as ridiculous as 'people will be watching Messi and ignore' schtick, but close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bohemianfish said:

My Thai wife's view is that people, men or women, should go off the beaten path (jungle, national forest) in Thailand alone. Robbery or whatnot. The same could be said for anywhere, some places where the problem is more acute than other places. A crime of opportunity, very sad. 

Anyone, anywhere, should be concerned going off for a hike alone. Fall, snake bite, immobilized, no one around....

You and your wife disagree then - are you missing a "not"?

Mobile phones take care of most of those concerns but lone women are at an increased risk from men, this is the real problem we should not just be concerned about but actively doing something about. Whenever boys or men talk disrespectfully about women it should be challenged like racism should.  Some of the comments on this forum are very abusive and should not be tolerated as they foster an attitude or culture that women are there for our pleasure and to be dominated. I have been brought up with this and am also guilty at times. Yesterday in a reply to one of my posts someone said that he spanks his wife if she misbehaves - an obvious joke but really I should have called it out just as if he had said his black neighbour instead of wife should be called out as being offensive. Abuse of girls and women is a worldwide problem and we should be tackling the root cause not just the symptoms. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

If you are looking for this then you might have found your paradise. It was like this about 30 years ago. 

I may have been 10 years too late but Samui in 2000 was paradise to me.

Just now, chang1 said:

I may have been 10 years too late but Samui in 2000 was paradise to me.

I lived on Samui and I loved it. The end came with the Asian (Thai) crises and the following cheap Baht. Suddenly every idiot could travel there. First I tried to escape to Phuket / Patong. But it didn't take long until this paradise was destroyed too. 

18 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

Should be able to narrow it down by tracing the app if indeed they are actually working ????

I wonder if the murderer had his phone with him and the app installed. Does the app record accurate GPS tracks online in a database or does it just record check-ins to various establishments? If it does record GPS data then just match location and time with the tracks found on the victim's phone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickeymaus said:

I lived on Samui and I loved it. The end came with the Asian (Thai) crises and the following cheap Baht. Suddenly every idiot could travel there. First I tried to escape to Phuket / Patong. But it didn't take long until this paradise was destroyed too. 

To me it was the 2 week holiday makers who came in droves after the tsunami. Coconut island became a building site full of families and louts, taxis and McDonald's all of which ruined the atmosphere and greed took over everywhere - except the small shops with there double prices which Tesco put an end to. Before that it was all long stayers like me and backpackers - great company and everyone out for a good time. Of course there was the odd upmarket hotel full of the types I despise but the bars of Lamai were mostly off limits to those snobs. I stopped going there altogether about 12 years ago but hope to get back again soon before the island is overrun with boring people again. Trouble is I will only be able to stay a couple of weeks with my family - time changes us all I suppose. Soon I  will despise myself. 

4 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

I wonder if the murderer had his phone with him and the app installed. Does the app record accurate GPS tracks online in a database or does it just record check-ins to various establishments? If it does record GPS data then just match location and time with the tracks found on the victim's phone.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the BiB may have thought of that already.