Swiss tourist dead, believed raped, murdered in Phuket Sandbox

Jonathan Fairfield

A press conference on the murder case of Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf in Phuket, by the province governor Narong Woonciew and Andrea Kotas Tammathin, Swiss Honorary Consulate in Phuket. #Phuket #ThailandNews #TheNationThailand

https://twitter.com/Thenationth/status/1423493512666914817

2 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

RIP.  A BIG BLACK MARK on the Sandbox efforts.  Something Thailand did not need at this time.

i just asked , few days ago, my hotel receptionist, if it is safe here, because so easy to break

into my room. she answered : "oh no worry, the owner is one big police..."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villerupt said:

Sand box killer

Now forget Swiss tourists in Thailand

a bit of a leap to say that

minimalist thinking ...

if he will turn out to be a serial killer, he will definately be called THE SAND BOX KILLER

but he must hurry, before the pandemic is over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chang1 said:

May link her to her killer - taxi driver or even a farang. May show her stopping at or passing a restaurant with cctv with video of her being followed. Certainly could give valuable information. 

can also put you, an innocent man, in jail or under arrest, if you happaned

to visit the place just when she did.

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

It is not only the virus that is threat to 'Sandbox ' tourists ...

Being a woman , she should not travel alone , even around the island ... sickos around everywhere .

So your view is women shouldn’t travel alone…perhaps you’d also like to see the introduction of guardianship laws and the outlawing of women travelling without the consent of their husbands or family

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I can't even imagine what her last moments of life were like. Truly horrible is all I can come up with. My heart goes out to her family, friends, loved ones, etc. I truly hope she is in a place of peace and serenity now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Would you have advised her to go to the waterfall on her own , had she asked you ?

One poster putting the blame on  the woman for what happened because she travelled alone and now another trying to say it would have been my fault because of advice I may give. 

Strange fellows gathering on this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

People need to be aware of the dangers and the unhinged dangerous people out there that inhabit the World . 

In an ideal world people SHOULD be able to go anywhere they like and with whom they like , unfortunately we don't live in a ideal World and people, both Male and Female , need to be aware of those dangers and take precautions .

Same as swimming in the sea, if there are sharks or jellyfish present, or strong tides , dont go into the sea, because there are dangers there .

Simple self preservation 

The post I commented upon was victim blaming, hence my post. 

41 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

what is your problem with taxi drivers? most are honest hard working people

I don't have a problem with taxi drivers - I was thinking about how remote this area is and how she got there - it appears it was within walking distance of her accomodation so no motorised transport required 

It makes this murder somewhat harder to solve as it could have been anyone that ambushed her in this remote scenic area, she likely went there alone for a walk.

Thailand probes death of Swiss tourist near Phuket waterfall

Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 12.02.56.png

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand is investigating the death of a 57-year-old Swiss tourist after her body was found near a waterfall on the resort island of Phuket, with signs she had died of unnatural causes, officials said on Friday.

The woman was visiting under the "Phuket Sandbox" scheme, a pilot project to allow in vaccinated foreign tourists to help revive a sector decimated by the COVID-19 pandemic, Phuket governor Narong Woonciew said, adding that she had arrived on the island on July 13.

The woman appeared to have been dead for three days before her body was found, partially unclothed, said Kitirath Phanpetch, commander of Region 8 police that oversees Phuket, in an interview on MCOT television.

Although police have not yet determined the cause of death, Foreign Ministry spokesman Tanee Sangrat expressed condolences to the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok in a statement that described the case as a "murder".

Thailand's Phuket tourism scheme, in which vaccinated visitors can skip COVID-19 quarantine but have to remain on the island for 14 days, has faced a difficult start particularly as the rest of Thailand faces a surge in coronavirus infections.

The scheme attracted about 15,000 visitors in July, its first month, just 1% of pre-pandemic arrivals

"After finishing the terms of the sandbox, she travelled to (the nearby island of) Krabi and returned," Kitirath said.

She stayed at a hotel in Phuket that was about two km (1.24 miles) from a waterfall where she was later found.

The body was found with swelling and bruises, Kitirath said, adding that results of an autopsy would be ready later on Friday.

"There was a black cloth covering the body, which suggests somebody placed it there and that the cause of death was unnatural," he said.

Kitirath said police were investigating people with criminal records and also migrant workers for possible involvement in the death.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Ed Davies and Raju Gopalakrishnan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-08-06

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why? There have been more people killed here, there are people killed everywhere.

Indeed, and not such a bad slogan for TAT to adopt as a media damage limitation exercise .

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

still don't get what is your problem with taxi drivers.

taxi drivers ambush tourists in remote scenic areas?

I have a suggestion for you since don't seem able to understand my post and seem to have a problem with them 

here is my post in full most of which you removed in your reply 

I don't have a problem with taxi drivers - I was thinking about how remote this area is and how she got there - it appears it was within walking distance of her accomodation so no motorised transport required 

It makes this murder somewhat harder to solve as it could have been anyone that ambushed her in this remote scenic area, she likely went there alone for a walk.

• Thanks 1