Red Bull Boss inquiry: Former deputy attorney general says he acted within the law

webfact

2 hours ago, Venom said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sounds like you got it wrong again.   The officer's family received B3m agreed compensation (he was single with no dependents) with no clause that any case against him should not be filed.

As Vorayuth has no direct connection with the company, he's just a nephew of one of the directors, your insisting on 10% of the Red Bull company and profits for life is laughable.    Vorayuth is not a director or an employee of Red Bull.

Expand  

What does he do to support himself? 

No idea, he doesn't work for Red Bull, though.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Still no positive proof that there is an Interpol red notice out for this guy.

????

No one has to prove it, particularly to a mainly foreign forum!  His name did appear on the publicly accessible part of Interpol website years ago at the start of the search for him.

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

His father is the largest single shareholder and scion of the Red Bull family as the oldest son. And he was an employee when the incident happened. I thought the officer was married?

Vorayuth was never an employee of Red Bull, the company made that very clear in a statement issued by the directors a couple of years ago as it distanced itself from him.

The officer was single.

• Like 1

I reckon he did act within the letter of the law but chose to ignore the spirit of the law. All laws can be 'interpreted' to a certain extent. He chose to manufacture an interpretation benefitting this scum. The man probably retired before he could be sacked for gross corruption so he could retain his pension rights which now cannot be touched.

Edited by RobU

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Vorayuth is not a director or an employee of Red Bull.

True.

Red Bull I'm sure has the best lawyers (International lawyers at that).

He'll just hang outside of Thailand until the statue of limitations.

The statue of limitations is:

The statute of limitations for this reckless driving causing death case is 15 years from the day of the event ... and will expire on Sept 3, 2027," Mr Prayut said yesterday.

"So police have six more years to find and prosecute him before the case becomes void."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that Net claimed that everything was done according to the law and proper procedures. 

Everyone always acts within the law. You can even overthrow an elected government and some months later you have been acting within the law. lol (land of law)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

"So police have six more years to find and prosecute him before the case becomes void."

Why should the police care about prosecuting him? Maybe because it was one of their own who was the victim?

I doubt it, police here need an incentive to go out their way. Hi-sos get what they want, and most people here accept this, apart from foreigners who generally have no influence and are not even on the bottom rung of the Thai hierarchical social ladder. 

Remember Duangchalerm, the son of Chalerm Yubamrung?

He killed a police officer in a nite club in Thong Lor but shooting him in front of 22 witnesses. If you don't; he went on the run and now is a marksman in the RTP.  

Hi-sos get what they want, just forget this case as everyone else has. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why should the police care about prosecuting him? Maybe because it was one of their own who was the victim?

I doubt it, police here need an incentive to go out their way. Hi-sos get what they want, and most people here accept this, apart from foreigners who generally have no influence and are not even on the bottom rung of the Thai hierarchical social ladder. 

Remember Duangchalerm, the son of Chalerm Yubamrung?

He killed a police officer in a nite club in Thong Lor but shooting him in front of 22 witnesses. If you don't; he went on the run and now is a marksman in the RTP.  

Hi-sos get what they want, just forget this case as everyone else has. 

I agree.

Nothing going to come from all this.

At least his family got 3 million baht compensation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The parents of the deceased made a deal in the millions. Usually, it is 50,000.

Perhaps it's not that easy to describe.

I recall that the unfortunately deceased policeman's family were basic suburban folks (not suggesting any disrespect to them).  

I simply don't believe they weren't quickly persuaded/intimidated into accepting the 3Million offer. 

Does the RTP have senior (and junior) cops who delight in and are experts at persuasion and have no morals?

(Not the point here but such cops exist in every police force.) 

Edited by scorecard

29 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I simply don't believe they weren't quickly persuaded/intimidated into accepting the 3Million offer. 

Does the RTP have senior (and junior) cops who delight in and are experts at persuasion and have no morals?

If you were them, would you accept the 3 million, when the normal amount is 50,000? Or would you want to get into a legal battle with billionaires in a corrupt legal system?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you were them, would you accept the 3 million, when the normal amount is 50,000? Or would you want to get into a legal battle with billionaires in a corrupt legal system?

But would it not be possible that the person/group/nasties/pressure from the boy's family decided to offer 3,000,000Baht to hopefully ensure there was no counter offer, and to get this activity over as quickly as possible?

And not forgetting that to the boy's family 3,000,000Baht is a tiny amount of money.

Back to my earlier comment, I don't believe this negotiation was conducted by the office girl, seems to me it would have been conducted by 'experienced negotiators' who were working to orders from above and part of that order would have been 'offer enough to get this done now, and with an instruction to not let anything get in the way of fast closure of the payout to the policeman's family'.

After all, the longer it takes the more chance others try to push into the activity, and more chance of gossip/facts of what's happening spreads quickly and widely. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But would it not be possible that the person/group/nasties/pressure from the boy's family decided to offer 3,000,000Baht to hopefully ensure there was no counter offer, and to get this activity over as quickly as possible?

Sure, that is possible/likely.

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And not forgetting that to the boy's family 3,000,000Baht is a tiny amount of money.

Should compensation be related to the wealth of the person?

Billionaire should pay the same fines as everyone else, IMHO.

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Sure, that is possible/likely.

Should compensation be related to the wealth of the person?

Billionaire should pay the same fines as everyone else, IMHO.

If he wasnt a billionaire and unable to pay millions in compensation, he would be going to jail .

Normal people do not get the opportunity to pay blood money

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Back to my earlier comment, I don't believe this negotiation was conducted by the office girl, seems to me it would have been conducted by 'experienced negotiators' who were working to orders from above and part of that order would have been 'offer enough to get this done now, and with an instruction to not let anything get in the way of fast closure of the payout to the policeman's family'.

For sure, the Red Bull family will have talked to the police, which any one of us would do if it were our family, to get the best possible deal. 

My point was really just that this guy should get the same fine/punishment as the local rice farmer who does the same thing; in my area, this kind of crime happens all the time, albeit with Lao Khao, not cocaine, 30 y/o pickup, not a Ferrari. There are no International chases and harassment of these guys, quick 50k baht and over.

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

"He who is without sin, cast the first stone" comes to mind. 

His many of you partake in corruption here, like pay 200 baht to the policeman when speeding, or pay 20,000 baht to a visa agent so you don't need to show funds in the bank, or pay for extra classes for your kid so they pass their exams, or pay immigration  2000 baht so you don't need a embassy letter etc? 

Boss is being hounded just for being rich. A normal person pays 50,000 baht for this crime. How many of you would pay for your kids to walk from this kind of thing? 

A rather myopic post if I may say so because it's in denial of Thai realities.In short - and there are always exceptions - Thais don't have much of a sense of community outside those close to them.There's much talk of love of nation, flag, and other Thais - but it doesn't usually amount much more than a row of beans.

I do however agree that the forces that protected Boss apply to any well off Thai family which would lie and cheat and pay off officials to protect a family member who had committed a crime.

There are a couple of points to make

1. Social media has changed everything and it's a lot harder for abuses to be covered up now.Boss is not being "hounded just for being rich", a really disgraceful comment which I will simple note though you should be ashamed of it.There is a (slightly) more energetic pursuit in this case because of the political downside involved - see comment on social media.That's why Prayuth got involved.

2. Thais usually cannot get into their skulls that other cultures (in the developed world) do not protect criminal offspring at all costs.The duty to society comes first.The equivalent of Boss in civilized countries would be marched by his parents to the police station.It's not a level playing field because they would find the best lawyers to defend him.They love him no less than Thai parents but there is also a duty to society which does not exist here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jayboy said:

The duty to society comes first.The equivalent of Boss in civilized countries would be marched by his parents to the police station.It's not a level playing field because they would find the best lawyers to defend him.

Do you mean like OJ Simpson? Would the average Homer Simpson walk free from this murder charge?

20 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Boss is not being "hounded just for being rich", a really disgraceful comment which I will simple note though you should be ashamed of it.

I have no idea why you think I should be ashamed of my opinion of the fact.????

Of course he is being hounded for being rich/famous.  I personally know 2 foreigners who have done very similar crimes(1 exactly the same) and paid under 1 million baht to avoid prosecution, but did get fired from their teaching jobs. I also have heard of many Thais who do similar things. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Or perhaps it was 'here's 3million, next bus leaves in 1 second, be on it, bye'.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:21 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Vorayuth was never an employee of Red Bull, the company made that very clear in a statement issued by the directors a couple of years ago as it distanced itself from him.

The officer was single.

Are shareholders considered "employees"? ???? 

Thanks lou. 

Edited by Venom

4 hours ago, Venom said:
On 8/7/2021 at 7:21 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

The officer was single.

Are shareholders considered "employees"?

No, they're not, at least not by virtue of just being shareholders.   If a shareholder also works for the company as an employed person, then he'd also be an employee   You think Vorayuth is a shareholder?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, they're not, at least not by virtue of just being shareholders.   If a shareholder also works for the company as an employed person, then he'd also be an employee   You think Vorayuth is a shareholder?

No idea mate, maybe someone else is supporting him.